Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Syl
      #327845 - 04/05/08 12:38 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Hi Syl,

I know you normally have the scientific answers so would you be able to tell me if Sorbitan Monostearate has any properties of the sweetener sorbital which some IBS'ers find an irritant?

I ask becasue the yeast i used in my new breadmaker contains this ingredient and i have been poorley ever since. I'm trying to find out if i'm just paranoid or not!

Fresh white bread was a god-send for me so i can't understand why since buying my breadmaker I've felt worse.

Do you know of any dry yeast brands for breadmakers that don't contain this ingredient? - i've been googling for an hour and not had any luck yet!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Syl new
      #327846 - 04/05/08 01:20 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sorbitan Monosterate is a combination of sorbitan (a derivative of sorbitol) and steric acid. It is found in very small amounts in Fleischmann's yeast for bread machines to keep the yeast from caking and to aid in rehydration. The yeast contains less than 1% of it by weight. Given that you use about 2.5 teaspoons of yeast in a loaf of bread, a slice of bread likely contains less than 1/1000th of a gram of sorbitan monosterate - a very minuscule amount.

I am very sensitive to fructose and sugar alcohols like sorbitol. I make my bread with Fleischmann's yeast for bread machines. I don't have any problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#327848 - 04/05/08 01:33 PM
Kimberley321

Thanks Syl,

With IBS i just find it so hard to know what food is causing problems for me and this seemed like the natural suspect given that i was alright when i bought store baked fresh bread. I think i'll try it for a while longer just in case it is my mind playing tricks

#327849 - 04/05/08 01:56 PM
Syl

It is difficult figuring these things out. I am more suspicious of prepared foods I buy from the store than the foods I prepare myself.

In order to figure out if the store bought or homemade bread is causing your problems you would have to eat exactly the same thing for 2-3 days with store bought and again for 2-3 days with homemade bread. I have tried experiments like this using a base diet of oatmeal, rice, carrots and chicken - it is really boring However, it did help me isolate a trigger

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Recipe new
      #327850 - 04/05/08 02:49 PM
Syl

What are ingredients in the bread recipe you use in the bread maker?

--------------------

Re: Recipe new
      #327866 - 04/06/08 08:48 AM
Kimberley321

Just yeast (with the sorbitan mono..) bread flour, sugar, salt and water. It said butter/oil but my first batch turned out greasy and i didn't really want the extra fat in my food....so i just cut it out of the recipe completely and the next batch turned out fine without it. I'm sure it's probably me being paranoid about the yeast.

I'll try your advice and just eat the same for three days then switch and see what happens. I'm trying not to be despondent - I'm on day 80 of the hypnotherapy and was sort of expecting to be loads better by now!

Thank you for your help

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 569 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2236

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review