All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vague questions about portion size
      #327779 - 04/04/08 10:16 AM
Viajero98

Reged: 11/29/07

I've been reading over past posts about portion control and eating smaller portions every few hours and realizing that this is definitely something that I need to try doing more often.
My problem is that I am at school and most of the food that I eat is in the school cafeteria so I often feel that I need to eat whatever I can during the three times a day that I go in there. It's hard for me to feel like just eating a little bit is a good use of my "food time". It's like I've already paid for it so I should use it...
I'm also wondering what kind of snack foods you guys find work well for carting around? Since I'm in school I'm most often in class or at work (office jobs) so I have to be able to bring something that I could carry well in a bag full of books.
For those of you who have made a habit of this, how did you start cutting down on portions and making yourself stop? I'm not sure about you but I find it hard to stop eating until I can really tell that I'm full, and after that it's too late. I have food in my room to help me when I need to snack, but then I end up eating that too and making it just as bad as when I eat too much in the cafeteria! I think this all might just be a self-control question but I was wondering if anyone had any tips...I'm ready for a change! Thank you all in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vague questions about portion size new
      #327805 - 04/04/08 04:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I see what you are saying. I sometimes have a hard time not overeating and especially after hard exercise I feel like I want to binge. Drinking fennel tea before eating definitely helps and eating as slowly as possible. I do crossword puzzles while I eat lunch and this slows me down some. Then the fullness gauge will trigger and I can stop eating. Although sometimes I have no problem at all with it. And it does seem like something to get used to. Your gut wants the amount of food it is used to but if it gets used to less it would be fine with that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Vague questions about portion size new
      #327863 - 04/05/08 09:54 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

Can you take "leftovers" from the cafeteria? If you had a small fridge in your room you could put food away for later.

I have a hard time with the smaller portions. I do Weight Watchers and for years was a bulk eater. I ate things that were filling but low on the Points system. Big salads, 3 cups of fruit at once <gasp>, quart sized smoothies made with skim milk and 2 cups of strawberries. You get the idea. Of course now I eat for IBS so I'm not eating fruit in these quantities or any dairy, but it's still a learning process for me to remember to eat smaller amounts even if it is "low point."

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Thank you ladies! new
      #327884 - 04/06/08 08:12 PM
Viajero98

Reged: 11/29/07

Thank you both for your support and suggestions. I think this is going to be one of the hardest things for me to get used to with IBS (I LOVE food!) but I really do appreciate knowing that there are other people out there that struggle with the same things and have found ways to deal with them. You've made me happy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1835 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 842

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review