All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I am new and I have IBS, I need some help
      #327746 - 04/03/08 07:33 PM
jlamont08

Reged: 04/03/08

I have IBS and i am trying to find some information on things that i can eat I know the triggers but i am trying to find out some information on things that i can eat and a diet that will help me, Can anyone help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am new and I have IBS, I need some help new
      #327747 - 04/03/08 07:46 PM
mizutenshi1

Reged: 04/03/07
Loc: Portland, OR

hi! i promise you are not alone! its really just trial and error- if you already know the triggers- dont completely avoid them, eat the soluble fibers and in large amounts and then have some of the insoluble fiber foods. for example, if veggies hurt you- as they do me, i'll have large amounts of pasta mixed with small amounts of veggies that are either cooked, steamed, or pureed. helpforibs.com has a recipe board with all kinds of yummy ibs safe recipes for pretty much everything. like i said trial and error- write down what you eat and if it hurts you eat smaller amounts or leave it out. gluck! *hugs*

--------------------
"Smile at someone for no reason at all, theyll think ure up to something."(IBS-A)

Re: I am new and I have IBS, I need some help new
      #327772 - 04/04/08 08:34 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I have IBS and i am trying to find some information on things that i can eat I know the triggers but i am trying to find out some information on things that i can eat and a diet that will help me, Can anyone help

This is really what Heather's Website is all about. The triggers are only the beginning. Avoid them like the plague - there are really only 4 categories of them: red meat; dark meat poultry and skin; all dairy; and egg yolks. (I find it easier to think about the protein I *can* eat: skinless white meat poultry; all fish and seafood; egg whites.

The other "watch it" rule is fat: go low fat. Heather recommends no more than 25% of calories from fat.

Beyond that you can eat anything you want but you have to do so carefully. That means making Soluble Fiber foods the basis of every meal and snack and incorporating Insoluble Fiber carefully (only after SF; peel, chop, puree, and cook as needed). You may find that some things that should be okay always bother you - I don't do well with oatmeal for example - but the basic idea of no triggers, low fat, SF base, and careful IF is the bedrock of this approach.

A couple of suggestions. First, you really can't get a good sense of Heather's approach from just reading the Boards. Here's an old post I did that will help walk you through what you need to read to understand the approach as a whole.

Second, check out the IBS Recipe Board. You can cruise through the Recipe Index and get a look at all kinds of stuff you can eat.

For more specific information, here are some old posts that might help you get a sense of what people eat throughout the day:
Some sample menus

a great menu from an IBS-C

Food for people who don't cook - Part 1

Food for people who don't cook - Part 2

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2669 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review