All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Sarah new
      #327825 - 04/05/08 03:19 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I could combine it with a holiday with the hubby- he wouldn't need much persuasion to go on hols to Hawaii!

Yeah, i had the same difficulties as you with vegan book. I love experimenting with recipes, i just don't like anything too fussy and complicated. Low cost all the way!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dairy update new
      #327826 - 04/05/08 03:25 AM
welshsarah

So... I've been eating dairy products since Tuesday (yoghurt, cheese, milk on cereal) and i'm still having regular daily BMs. If i was to react to the dairy do you think i'd know by now?

I'm still getting a bit of bloating but i think that's because i've been accidentally glutenning myself- did you know there's gluten in Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate??? Only found out yday and i've been eating it every day and wondering why i was getting some bloating! Didn't realise it'd be so difficult to recognise products that have gluten in, particularly as the wrappers on dairy milk are so unclear. Ah well!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Dairy update new
      #327829 - 04/05/08 04:42 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Yay, that definitely sounds like success to me! I agree, I think you'd feel the dairy affecting you by now. How much have you been eating?
I didn't know that about Cadbury chocolate. I just read somewhere that Cadbury cream eggs are GF so I'd assume the same about the regular chocolate as well. How did you find out about it? Does it say "wheat" or is it camouflaged as "natural flavorings"? Hmm, learn something new every day...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Dairy update new
      #327831 - 04/05/08 06:49 AM
welshsarah

Woo hoo! I hope the success continues...
I think i'm having a decent amount of dairy. For example, on wednesday i had cheese with my salad, milk in my coffee, a yoghurt and some chocolate. I'm having at least a yoghurt and milk in my coffee every day.

Cadburys are sneaky because on the wrapper they have camouflaged the gluten. The only way i found out was by going on the website and looking at the product finder. There it specifically tells you if it's suitable for specific food allergies. However, i have learnt that Cadburys twirl, flake and fudge are safe so it's not all bad. I used to eat so much dairy milk though!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Zara new
      #327905 - 04/07/08 09:51 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

To be honest, most of the time I'm not "at peace" accepting GF, dairy free, EFI, and low sugar! Sometimes I really feel like it's too much and I need at least a little bit of my favorite foods!

I don't feel so alone and weak anymore. I keep beating myself up because I feel so "weak" when I know other people are doing what seems so restrictive and depriving to me. I wonder what's wrong with me that I am having such a hard time accepting this as a way of life. I'm so tired of so many foods being "off limits". I am getting very depressed at the thought of having to live like this for the rest of my life. Geesh, I am so tired of reading labels and saying "no" to foods I am offered and once loved to eat. I feel "cheated". For sure I would have a better attitude if I was getting some positive results....but I can't figure this out and I hate not having any definite answers....like if either of these diets even has made any difference. I hate that I don't even know if all this "deprivation" is even necessary since I still suffer. I worry that I would be even worse if I didn't follow these diets. I "think" I was worse pre-diets but it's been so long, I honestly don't remember.

Why can't a doctor just tell me if I need to be GF or not????? Why can't I figure out if this EFI diet is causing me more anxiety and C or if it is preventing me from having even worse symptoms.

I gave in today, and I am drinking a cup of Simply Smooth Decaf coffee. EVERYONE at work drinks coffee and I adore coffee. I just wanted a treat, ya know! Like the chocolate chip cookies! I don't want to have to live the rest of my life without the little joys of life...like a simple cup of decaf coffee or a Christmas cookie or a freaking piece of normal wheat bread and cereals and all the "normal" grocery store items. I just don't have the guts to "give up" and try a free for all (within limits, of course). I can't even allow myself a small piece of cheese....or a spoonful of yogurt....and geesh, how I miss cottage cheese on my baked potatoes. I feel so weak and like "what's wrong with me that you gals are able to be at peace with this lifestyle change and I just feel sorry for myself".

Anyhow, just needed to vent. I don't know what I should do. I don't know what is best for me to eat/not eat and I hate it. I hate not knowing if an apple is a trigger! What if I am restricting all this gluten, fat, fructose, dairy for years and it isn't even necessary? That I would be feel the same physically even if I didn't?

I'm having a bad day. I just want to eat. I feel like Andrew did when he wrote his last post and left and decided the emotional toll wasn't worth it.

Not to mention the supplements...which ones help, which ones don't make a difference, which ones may even be hurting. It just seems like no matter what I take or eat, I still hurt, plus I am depressed about having to be so rigid. Can't even go to my mom's for a stupid meal. Or a birthday party...or any event that involves food that I have no control over.

Thanks again for listening. Good luck with your search....with your Acacia experiment, etc. Please keep in touch. I feel so alone with all this.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Sarah? new
      #327906 - 04/07/08 09:53 AM
Jordy

Thank you for allowing me to email you. I just really would like some ideas from someone who is strictly GF. I would love to have a sample of the diet journal you gave your dietician.

I tested positive for gluten antibodies, yet some of my doctors say that that doesn't mean I need to be GF or that it would even benefit me. But I can't forget about the antibodies. Doesn't that say something?

Did she have any suggestions for you? How are you controlling your C since you don't take any supplements? I'm so tired.

--------------------

So new
      #327907 - 04/07/08 09:59 AM
Jordy

You just figured out you were Gluten Intolerant by trying the diet and getting good results?

--------------------

Re: So new
      #327916 - 04/07/08 11:51 AM
welshsarah

Yup, that's right. Doctors over here aren't hot on doing lots of tests. I'd had enough of feeling ill so decided to try going strictly gluten free (no oats even) and it's worked. Added dairy back in, not to sure about whether my body likes it in larger doses.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Sarah? new
      #327917 - 04/07/08 11:56 AM
welshsarah

Oh Jordy, poor you. It is exhausting IBS. Especially when you don't know how to treat it. I'm not sure about the whole gluten antibodies thing. My dietitian didn't even look at my food diary in the end as she didn't feel it was necessary.

Re. my C- it just cleared up without any supplements. However, i'm C and really bloated today for the first time in just over 3 weeks so am feeling disillusioned and annoyed. I've been eating dairy in larger doses since last Wednesday so i'm wondering if now it's finally catching up with me... Ah well!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Zara new
      #327936 - 04/07/08 03:37 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Jordy, I'm sorry you're having such a bad day today, and I understand your frustration. It can be very hard when you just want to eat the same food everybody else does. What worked for me was realizing that with this diet I'm finding all kinds of good things I wouldn't have tasted before. Like I was at Whole Foods yesterday and I came across these Lundberg rice cakes in tamari sesame flavor. They're so good that I could just eat them dry! So yeah, I still have days when I'm down and just want to eat whatever (like those cookies before) but fortunately I also have days when I like all these new foods.

I think the reason doctors won't tell us what to eat is because (at least here) they're very test-result oriented. Which makes sense because that's what they went to school for. They won't tell us to give up dairy if we tested negative for lactose intolerance. So while I'm glad that I had testing done and know that there's nothing terribly wrong with me, I also realized that I am the only person who can help me. So I'm searching for answers on the internet, books, other people's ideas (such as this board) and I'm playing my own guinea pig. Sometimes it works and sometimes I get sick.

It seems to me like you're trying to be too hard on yourself and it's not working. Don't beat yourself up over one cup of coffee. Maybe you'll find out that you can actually tolerate it once in a while and that way you don't have to give up your favorite treat forever! I truly believe that I'll be able to enjoy at least some dairy ocasionally one day once I get a bit more stable. I think we should do what feels best of us. And if you think this diet has taken an emotional toll on you maybe you should just try to give it a break for a couple of days and see. At least if you feel a lot worse you'll know what to do to get back on track.

Please keep trying, you're not alone .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review