All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
digestive enzymes
      #327503 - 03/30/08 09:51 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

i was looking at digestive enzymes today... and i was wondering what you all think of them? i saw one bottle for $60... I'd rather know that it will actually do something before i spend that kind of money.. my problem is SIBO... I follow the fructose malabsorption diet and i am fine.. however i do not fully understand it so i sometimes eat something i am not supposed to or i get so frustrated with eating chicken, rice and oatmeal all day that i dall off the wagon and eat normal food... anyone take these and have sibo? or even if you don't can you recommend a enzyme?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: digestive enzymes new
      #327510 - 03/31/08 07:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking other than lactase and beano I did not find that digestive enzymes helped me. In fact, I found that some digestive enzyme preparations made things worse. I believe this is primarily true for digestive enzymes that contain things like papain and bromelain derived from papaya and pineapple. Usually these digestive enzymes are not extracted from the plant because they occur naturally in high concentrations. Therefore, frequently digestive enzyme preparations containing these enzymes are just ground up plant material with lots of IF. This causes me problems.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#327599 - 04/01/08 08:09 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Beano is OK even with the wheat ingredient?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#327603 - 04/01/08 08:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

hmmm - I thought Beano tablets contained the alpha-galactosidase enzyme plus cellulose gel, mannitol, invertase, potato starch, magnesium stearate, gelatin and colloidal silica. The drops just contain the enzyme and not other ingredients. I don't see any wheat. However, even if there was wheat the amount would be so small that unless you had celiac disease and thus cannot not tolerate gluten it likely won't be a problem.

The only ingredient in the tables that might be problematic is mannitol - a sugar alcohol used as an artificial sweetner. It can be problematic for fructose sensitive individuals. As you known I am extremely fructose sensitive but I didn't find Beano caused me any problems when I tried it. However, you could use the Beano drops which don't contain mannitol.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#327630 - 04/01/08 12:52 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If you do a search on "digestive enzymes" you will see that they have actually helped a number of people. Everyone is different. They may just be your best friend!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 788 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review