All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Upset stomach
      #327470 - 03/30/08 06:16 AM
Maryann2

Reged: 03/27/08

Does anyone have a problem with upset stomach?
My symptoms change everyday!!
Most days I wake up with cramps and an upset stomach.
The cramps subside some once I have a bowel movement which so far since I started the tummy fiber I don't have diarrhea.
I have a cup of peppermint tea wait a little and then have some oatmeal.
Things go ok until I have lunch then the cramps come back.
No bowel movement but constantly feel like I have to go.
I try to have snacks because I know it is not good to have an empty stomach.
Then after I have something for dinner back come the cramps.
I have to take a xanax to sleep otherwise I am up all night.
I eat mostly soluble foods with only a little insoluble foods.
I am only on the tummy fiber a few days
Someone tell me this is going to work.
I am having a hard time functioning.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Upset stomach new
      #327484 - 03/30/08 11:39 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Sorry you are having a tough time. Sometimes it can feel like the symptoms are never going to go away.

Give the acacia time to work as a few days is not long enough to feel well again. If you are sticking to the EFI diet rules and increase your acacia gradually you should feel better soon.

Good luck.

#336569 - 09/27/08 01:31 PM
longhorn76

Reged: 09/27/08

My symptoms are very, very similar to maryann's. Typically, I feel fine until I have a bowel movement. Immediately after a b.m., I have what I describe as "upset stomach" and I feel like my bowel is not empty. I feel like I have to go to the bathroom but if I do, nothing happens. I am not using any fiber supplement. I take Bentyl 10 mg usually twice a day. For the upset stomach, I usually take Pepto-Bismol caplets but they typically don't help. Neither does Bentyl.

Usually, I don't feel very good so I just eat a baked potato or rice soup and crackers or dry toast. Typically, I do not eat meat, fish, chicken, fruits or vegetables. I have lost quite a bit of weight because I don't eat properly.

The last time I went to my internist, I told her about the constant upset stomach. She said it's a symptom of IBS and that she has patients that feel better after a bowel movement and I am the opposite. She did not offer a solution.

I also have acid reflux and have been taking Prilosec OTC for a long time. To make matters worse, I also have interstitial cystitis. I do not use any fiber supplement or probiotic at this time. At night, I sometimes take Phenergan as it relieves nausea and helps me sleep. I have pretty much given up on "western medicine" and I am desperate for help. Thanks.

#336570 - 09/27/08 03:09 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I have tried Imodium with help for cramps and gas and bloating. You can buy it next to the regular Imodium.It ussually helps.I have more of an issue with the stomach pain than the d also.If that would go away I could handle the rest.
Also try eating a slice of white bread plain.That helps me quite often.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336571 - 09/27/08 05:30 PM
Meoc

Reged: 08/25/08
Loc: Rhode Island

I am struggling with many of the same symptoms as you. It is very frustrating. I have stopped having the D as long as I take the tummy fiber, however, the stomach pain and cramping is almost always there after meals. I have terrible BM urgency, even after I have a BM, I also feel like my bowel is not empty. I put hot compresses on my stomach and lower abdomen. I also have antispasmotics, and it is hit or miss with them. I have lost 40 pounds in 9 months. I am really trying to take it one day at a time. Each day I get through this damn IBS-D, I try to think of as a little victory. You are not alone with your symptoms. Many people on these boards know what you are going through, and we understand.
-Maria
IBS-D 1 year
Interstitial Cystitis 5 years

#336572 - 09/27/08 05:35 PM
Meoc

Reged: 08/25/08
Loc: Rhode Island

I agree with Dragonfly concerning the white bread. I keep Thomas' Plain Bagels in my home at all times. They are filling, and they have a bit of protein as well, this also calms my stomach down too.
-Maria

#336574 - 09/27/08 08:18 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

When I have D, cramping, bloating - Thomas' plain bagels and applesauce are my lifesavers!! Much better than crackers, etc.... I'm with Dragonfly!!!
You will get better, you will go through periods of remission - I promise, as a 40+ year veteran!
You said you were tired of Western medicine - check out some of the posts about probiotics others have recommended. For the GERD, Nexium helps me....for the "D" - I try to struggle through and not take anything because the very next day or days I'll have "C", then I'm scared to take anything for it because most everything causes cramping. It's all trial and error, wish I could say it isn't.

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2634

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review