All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
pain in side - gallbladder?
      #327346 - 03/27/08 06:39 PM
FLK

Reged: 11/01/07
Loc: USA

I was just wondering if anyone gets a pain in their right side sometimes after they eat. I have been getting it a lot recently. It is far on the right side right under my ribs, and I'm not sure if it is my gallbladder or my intestines. It is not a sharp pain. It is more dull. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone has had gallstones, and that is what it felt like. I'm assuming that it is all related. I also haven't noticed a pattern of when it hurts.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pain in side - gallbladder? new
      #327348 - 03/27/08 07:51 PM

Unregistered

I haven't had that particular pain necessarily, and I don't know what pain would be associated with gallbladder issues, but I've become so used to pains here and aches there that I don't even track those symptoms anymore. The worst, most persistent pain for me is actually under my left shoulder blade, if I've eaten a questionable food or eaten too much in one sitting. And then there are those fun shooting pains that are as fast as lightning and go through my whole middle and make me gasp and arch my back...and then apologize to the person I was just talking to. Someone with medical training can confirm or deny what I'm about to say, but I don't think that pain in an area of the body has to be coming from an organ right under that pain. Pain does radiate, so it's likely just the fun way your body manifests its digestive issues. I do hope it resolves for you soon.

#327352 - 03/27/08 08:28 PM
kristi123

Reged: 10/13/07

Actually what you are saying about pain not right where the organ is located is actually very true...this is called reffered pain, and different organs cause pain in different places. Have you both been tested for things other than IBS, because, for example pain under the left shoulder blade can indicate pancreatic problems, pain in the upper right abdomen can be assossiated with the gall bladder as well as pain in the middle of the back. I have done a lot of research because I have been very curious about different pain, but of course just because you have pain in any of these places does not mean you have those problems, but it is never a bad idea to check with a doctor.

--------------------
IBS-D

#327357 - 03/27/08 09:13 PM

Unregistered

Yes I've been tested for various things over the years (I'm only 29 but you get what I'm saying) and these symptoms aren't new. I thank you for suggesting it, though! I don't have health insurance right now, and I do worry about having more serious health problems a lot. But I think digestive problems manifest under the left shoulder blade, too, and I've had this pain on and off for years now. And I did have insurance and blood work and all during some of those years. It still makes me nervous, I'll admit.

(I just realized I'm not 29 yet. A few weeks shy. What a funny mistake to make.)

#327359 - 03/27/08 09:32 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

It could be your gb but it could also be other things too. You really have to see your doc, who may send your for an ultrasound, to be sure. I had my gb out last year. I had pain on both the right and left under the rib cage, and mid-back. It was dull at first and then it got unbearable and I ended up in the ER. I also got to the point where I was afraid to eat anything and was barely eating.

There is so much going on in your abdominal area that the pain could be from several possible things and might be referred pain from another area/organ. I would see your doc and get it checked out.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1099 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review