All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How does everyone accept their IBS?
      #327254 - 03/26/08 02:12 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I just feel blah today and realizing no matter how hard I try, I do not have a normal/good/able to eat anything tummy. I've had IBS for several years so this realization is nothing new. Some days it hits me worse than others. Usually when I try to eat something not safe thinking oh I was fine yesterday so I'm fine today. Not so. How does everyone cope with the mental aspect of it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How does everyone accept their IBS? new
      #327255 - 03/26/08 02:23 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I just got used to it eventually. I won't lie; it was depressing at first because I love food, but now - not a problem.

I'm stable now, so if I want a little bite of something forbidden, I usually have it. However, if I'm ever tempted by a full serving of ice cream, for example, I just think of the pain and all the time I'll spend in the throne room the next morning. That reminds me it's really not worth it.

Right on - Snorkie! Me too! -nt- new
      #327258 - 03/26/08 02:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#327261 - 03/26/08 02:37 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I'm stable now

It would be so much easier to accept the ibs if we could get stable. It's harder to accept when you are doing everything right and still not stable. Okay, my vent is over. Maybe one day????

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#327263 - 03/26/08 02:42 PM
amyleanne

Reged: 02/22/08
Loc: Canada

I haven't had IBS as long as most of the people of frequent the message boards so I have been having great difficulty with it. I've been on the EFI diet for about a month now and I am feeling a lot better. The year previous to me starting the diet was HELL! I'm surprised my colon didn't get up and run away!
I have cravings for forbidden foods all the time. I'm not as good as Snorkie in the aspect that I often give in to my cravings and pay for it dearly the next day. I need to learn my lesson. Everyone else in my family has an "iron gut." They can have whatever they want whenever they want and it drives me crazy. They don't hesitate to sit in front of me and eat pizza, cheeseburgers, mac and cheese, nachos etc...
I'm still on the road to accepting it I guess
You get the idea

--------------------
*Amy*

Re: How do you cope....... new
      #327266 - 03/26/08 02:49 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

I spent the first 14 years convinced by my doctor that it was all in my head so i went into denial and was convinced it was soemthing else such as food allergies!

After finding this site i now know that it's not my fault, i am not mad, it's not all in my head and there is hope to become stable eventually in the future with the EFI diet, hypnotherapy and acacia.

Don't get me wrong, i still have bad days and feel low but just remembering it's not my fault and not expecting too much of myself on a bad day i am able to cope.

#327272 - 03/26/08 03:46 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I look at my ibs as kinda a good thing. Granted I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and I'm still hoping for a cure!
Because I don't eat red meat or pork, dairy or fat, my dr. says I'll live to be 101 just because of the diet I follow. Yeah, I still have bad days, but a lot less again lately. When my tum gets me down, I try and look past the attack to what is next. Luckily my attacks are short, but very violent and painful. I have a mantra I recite to get through the attack and then I move on. I can't let myself get too down or I'd have given up ages ago. And usually I know I'm too stressed, overtired or I've eaten something I shouldn't and that's why I had the attack. I look to the future and try to prevent my attacks - destressing with yoga, following the diet etc. It's a mind over matter thing for me.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Edited by Toady (03/26/08 03:47 PM)

#327274 - 03/26/08 03:49 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I don't know if I cope so much as just... coast. Sometimes I am okay with it and other times I just want to sit down and bawl over the fact that I can't eat pizza, ice cream, cheese, rich desserts, all that good stuff... possibly ever again. Other than the fact that I still get an occasional bout of C, I am almost completely stable. I don't want to rock the boat - even if it's just to indulge in pizza for one night. Who knows - if I do that I may have to start over at Square One, and I really don't want to do that.

I tell myself that there are far worse diseases to have, and not just things like cancer. Severe diabetics can't eat sugar or it could literally kill them. Eating a slice of ice cream cake won't kill me - it'll just make me sick.

I hope that healthy people truly appreciate how much they just take food for granted. I doubt they realize that there are thousands of us who can't just go out to a restaurant and eat whatever the heck we want, or have an ice cream sundae whenever we feel like it, or go to a wedding or party without stressing about having to explain to people why we aren't eating anything.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Good point Cassandra! new
      #327275 - 03/26/08 03:52 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I've lost about 18 lbs since starting this diet - never before have I had such determination to stick to a diet - and I'm not even doing it for weight loss!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: Good point Cassandra! new
      #327285 - 03/26/08 05:26 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Thanks Erilyn,

I've actually lost over 65lbs total! The last 40 - 45 was in 2006 - 2007. And all to do with my ibs.

You have to take the experience of the negative and learn from it otherwise it'll get you down.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2913

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review