All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What tea does for me
      #327137 - 03/25/08 05:05 AM
missamber

Reged: 12/16/06

I don't think that I ever posted it before, but for those of you who struggle with constipation as I do at times, hot tea (caffeinated) has actually helped me to go to the bathroom. I have heard about caffeine stimulating the intestines...negatively and positively! But I have always had a pretty positive reaction with tea. Not too much, but one or two hot cups really help to "move" things, if you know what I mean!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Is this black tea or herbal?-nt new
      #327142 - 03/25/08 06:48 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: What tea does for me new
      #327152 - 03/25/08 08:34 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

This is actually not recommended for IBS. Caffeine is a stimulant and actually causes an increase in spasms in people with IBS. This can result in either D or C, depending on which one you have a problem with. With IBS you are supposed to calm the gut, not cause it to spasm more.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#327157 - 03/25/08 11:24 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I know I have been guilty of using caffeinated coffee or tea to get things moving in the past. I think the danger of this is that you could very well end up with more C as a later reaction. So it is a short term solution with possible longer term after effects.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#327204 - 03/26/08 07:57 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

But, it seems like it works for her without the spasms? Isn't this diet just a guide? Isn't everyone different?

It just seems like if something works, even though it doesn't follow the guidelines, why not use it? If I felt better eating dairy, I would eat it, even though it is "technically" suppose to be off limits?

Aren't these just guidelines, not stead fast rules? Like how so many people can handle things not listed as safe, per se, and many other cannot handle the ones that are suppose to be safe. In my case, bananas, oatmeal, white foods, SFS, soy, onions, garlic, etc?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review