All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A few questions
      #327073 - 03/23/08 11:21 AM
Ms.Major

Reged: 01/17/07

This is my first post to the IBS board, although I have visited anonmyously for several years, have all of Heather's books, the Hypnosis cds, and get the newsletters--I still have some questions.
I am a second year associate in a large law firm. When I was in my first year of law school I was diagnosed with IBS. At this firm, my co-workers are very critical of what I eat. I know, this should not matter but it bothers me. My supervising partners notice that I "special request" lunches (plain turkey sandwiches on white bread with mustard usually). I am also under a great amount of stress with work and balancing a home life, although my husband has been most understanding about what I can and cannot eat and has been subjected to the IBS hynotherapy cds too. Very supportive to say the least.
My biggest problem is being gaseous. I am IBS-D usually in the a.m.--can hit me at night if I have eaten something that upsets my tummy. To top it all off, I have an anxious personality and am on medications from my doctor to help me sleep better--b/c lack of sleep does affect me the next day, as does what I eat and how bad my IBS-D is. I also live in the deep south notorious for humid and hot summers which does not help--unfortunately, moving right now is not an option though.
So, here are my questions for you all (1)I have been taking a lactose free acidopholous called "Ultimate Flora Critical Care" from Whole Foods--has anyone else tried it? Is there a better option out there? (I have to avoid dairy); (2) I also am an exercise nut (once a day--in fact, I got my spinning certification) and I am trying to incorporate yoga at night; and (3) how to deal with the stress at work. Honestly, in this profession, as in others, there are a lot of people ready to find anything they can use against you. I get embarrassed if I am having a bad day and need to use the restroom due to my tummy and gas or d. It would just help to hear what others have done to deal with this problem. (I have confided in a few of my friends/co-workers who completely understand. This has just been a blow to my confidence. And (4), my sister recommended charcoal coated tablets for gas...she works at Whole Foods...have you all heard of this? Or grinding up ginger for the juice and drinking it with warm water throughout the day? (I have used chamomile tea and I eat sushi with ginger (a lot)--and I am not a ginger lover by nature.) Not being a cook, sushi and soup are often my dinner options...with a little Thai and shrimp or gumbo (not traditional b/c of the grease) for dinner.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. (PS) I have read Heather's DOs and DON'Ts list many times.

I appreciate any and all support I can get from this group. I believe that there is a better way to handle these issues.

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A few questions new
      #327078 - 03/23/08 01:53 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

First of all you have my total sympathy. I am a nearly 30 year attorney who was on "partnership" track at two major Houston law firms and made partner at one only to find out that it wasn't really what I wanted. I fully understand the stress. Although I had IBS then (very mildly) I wasn't diagnosed until this past year when the IBS began to completely control my life. I have an active law practice that requires me to be in long meetings and court hearings without the ability to take potty breaks when I want to. This has necessitated my completely controlling what and when I eat. I fortunately cook so it is much easier for me because I prepare quite literally all of my food. I have several soft sided lunch bags and use the small blue ices to carry chicken pasta salad or a cold lunch with me if I am going to be in court or at a meeting for lunch. Folks can make as much fun as they like--I couldn't care less because I am the one whose tummy will go into revolt. I have learned to order some foods but I have lactose, soy and fructose intolerance so it makes it pretty hard. When I do get bad gas (and I do) I calm it down with fennel tea. That works to pretty well. If nothing else works then I take a chewable advanced imodium which has anti gas medication as well. Good luck to you and don't let the turkeys get you down!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: Thanks for your answers to my few questions new
      #327128 - 03/24/08 05:45 PM
Ms.Major

Thanks Barbara50 for your words of encouragement.

I live in Louisiana and the humidity can get pretty rough here in the summers, as I am sure it can in Texas. Right now I am on the partnership track and fellow associates and senior partners have noticed that I am cautious about what I eat. But like you said, if I don't look out for myself and the food I am eating, who will? Dairy is definitely a no-no for me too, as is caffeine, gum chewing, and soft drinks. I have gotten braver about eating snacks throughout the day--I was nervous b/c of gas issues. I eat gluten free snack bars from Whole Foods.

I was curious to know what kind of pasta you bring for lunch or other things you have brought for lunch when you will be in a crunch with work during lunch. I am trying to branch out and get some other safe ideas--baby steps.

My husband is the primary cook, so luckily I don't have to eat out much unless we decide to go on the weekend. He is very accommodating with my stomach issues too. I will have to take law clerks out for lunch this summer and sushi is not a permissable place to bring them for lunch. It is just a frustrating experience. Although it is very encouraging to know that you have been practicing for some time and excelled on your own. Any other words of wisdom or ideas for lunches would be most appreciated.
Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to respond.

Re: A few questions new
      #327129 - 03/24/08 06:26 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh Ms. Major I sympathize - I'm a corporate clerk! And I'm just new at the firm and still learning the ropes. I left a super high-stress job in insurance claims after 10 years for a new career in law. Last week was a busy week for me with a huge purchase to close and lots of stress!

To answer your questions:
1. Even if your acidolpholis is lactose free, is it still made from dairy? AVOID dairy if at all possible. An alternative is Bio K+ nn-dairy. It is soy based.
http://www.biokplus.com/Catalogue.aspx?nav_id=3691&lang_id=A

2. It is great that you exercise every day. I only manage aquabics twice a week and the occasional yoga class. Anything you can do to manage your stress is a good thing.

3. With yoga you will learn to breath and to calm yourself in stressful situations. I will do "chair yoga" sometimes to calm myself down, or just breath for a few minutes, concentrating on reducing my stress. This helps when you have those big deals / case loads getting you frantic. Also , as busy as you are, step back. Even if it is just for 2 minutes to walk to the coffee room to boil water for tea or to step outside for a quick breath of fresh air. Don't let your job kill you! (I was doing it with my last job) Don't be embarrassed for being you. Some people are vegetarians, some people are allergic to nuts and people don't give them a hard time, why should you be treated any differently. I found it best to be open with my colleagues - I have a very severe digestive disorder and I have to watch what I eat or I'll end up sick and miserable and stuck at home. (although, I miss very little work due to my ibs. I'm a trooper!)

4. No idea about charcoal. But it is an ingredient in pepto bismal so it must help tums! Ginger is very good for upset tummies, make yourself ginger tea - fresh ginger root, hot water and some honey to sweeten. Peppermint tea is also good. Fennel is good for gas.

I understand how hard it is to go out for firm lunches too. We always go to this fancy little restaurant across from the firm and there is nothing I can eat. Try researching where you are going to eat first. Tons of restaurants have their menus online and many will customize a meal. Request a grilled chicken breast with a baked potato, no butter, or rice as a side. Many restaurants are very happy to assist you. And if the law students question you, just answer simply - food allergies. I use that as it is a lot easier than explaining IBS to anyone.

I also carry my safe snacks with me everywhere. I brown bag my lunches to work. And its kinda funny because our firm is doing "biggest loser" right now, so my lunches look like everyone elses! I have soy yoghurt with rice cereal in it, pb and j on sour dough or French bread, pasta or rice, etc. I also stash instant oatmeal in my drawer if I need a mid-morning snack and I have lots of peppermint and rooibos tea in my desk too.

Wishing you the best of luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#327138 - 03/25/08 05:24 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Well, I don't have gluten issues so my pasta is usually an organic form of penne or spirals or bow tie. I grill several chicken breasts at a time (on my outside grill - I have a George Forman but don't like the way it cooks chicken breasts). I also will wrap a couple of chicken breasts in foil and rub them with a little olive oil and spices (rosemary, fennel, basil, garlic powder, etc.) and bake them at 400 for about 30 minutes. Cut this chicken up in bite size pieces and add to cooked pasta with a couple of T. of cut up white onion, red bell pepper and celery. Moisten it just a little (very little) with organic low fat mayonnaise. Season with whatever spices you like. That is my chicken pasta salad. If you are sensitive to gluten you can buy rice pasta and other gluten free pasta at health food stores.

As for summer associates--I have found that if I eat out and chose VERY carefully I can actually have a good experience if I am otherwise stable. Toady had some good suggestions too. I order grilled chicken or fish and demand it be cooked without oil or butter. I tell the waitress I am allergic and that gets the most attention and cooperation. For a side dish I get the "naked" baked potato or steamed rice. I have safely eated the salmon at Pappadeauxs and also the mixed seafood grill but I sub white rice for dirty rice. Most Mexican places in Houston have a snapper prepared in a foil pouch or bag. I will order that with corn tortillas and avocado and make fish tacos. Don't eat the rice or beans unless they can bring you steamed rice that is plain. Mexican rice is full of fat. After I got my D under control last year I still had incredible gas and bloating that was very limiting for me. I discovered that I am fructose sensitive or intolerant. Make sure you read labels. HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is literally in almost all processed foods. I went through my pantry and threw out or gave away about 2/3 of the stuff in it. MSG is also a big trigger for my gas and bloating. It is mixed in so many spices. Again, read labels. As for what I bring to eat for lunch--I try to have food leftover from the night before so I can have a hot meal. I also buy french bread and eat it before my meal as a cushion. Since you can't have the gluten you might try fixing the boiling bag jasmine or white long grain rice. (I sometimes will boil a bag while I am getting ready to leave the house in the morning). It is absolutely critical for me that I keep my tummy happy with frequent doses of soluble fiber and then fill in with insoluble fiber. Rice, baked potato and french or sourdough bread. (New Orleans has such fabulous french bread--too bad you can't partake). Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

BTW-I am an exercise nut too. Even though I am older, I strength train with a professional two days a week and I do 2 or 3 cardio sessions (30 minutes each) per week. I also play golf (18 holes) once a week. I believe staying active is critical to controlling IBS and to health in general.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#327140 - 03/25/08 06:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I eat gluten free snack bars from Whole Foods.

Can you please share the brand and name of these? I've been looking for some! Thanks

Why do you eat GF? Tinkyada brand of all kinds of pasta is amazing if you need gluten free.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

bump up for snack bars-nt new
      #327262 - 03/26/08 02:40 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#327301 - 03/27/08 06:37 AM
Ms.Major

Jordy,

The gluten-free bars I eat are made by "Enjoy Life." I get the caramel apple snack bars. They are vegan certified and gluten-free certified. Their bars are "formulated to be gluten-free and free of the eight most common allergens." They are nut-free, egg free, and dairy free. They are also not made with any soy protein and casein which are problematic for people.

Although I do not have celiac (sp?) disease, I met with a nutritionist about my IBS and she told me that wheat can still be an irritant for many people without such a diagnosis. As an aside, she also recommended Heather's book!

I hope this helps.

More questions for you regarding practicing law and IBS new
      #344052 - 04/05/09 07:46 AM
Kata

Reged: 01/11/09

Hi Barbara50,

You answered some of my questions last year when I was first trying to figure out how to juggle life as an associate and IBS. (I had to change my ID name from Ms.Major b/c I couldn't remember my password, but it is me again.)

Well, I have am handling a case that just fell in my lap. I am going to be defending two of the witnesses in their depositions. I have never done this and I am trying not to get overly nervous about an IBS flare up during this as I will need to be not only present for the depo, but defending the witness if necessary. Any suggestions for me? I just don't want a gaseous, noisy tummy during the deposition. This profession is such a mind game, and I don't want people thinking I am scared or intimidated with my stomach making noises or being gaseous. I am hoping the humidity and heat can hold off until my depos are done...but I am not sure if that will happen....

Again, your experience as an attorney with IBS has been very helpful to me. I really appreciate it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3006 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review