Loc: US

Post deleted by allison-IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help for my daughter! new
      #326710 - 03/17/08 12:15 PM
amyleanne

Reged: 02/22/08
Loc: Canada

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is having such a hard time. It sounds like what I was going through last month. I just started the EFI diet in February and I am already doing much better. I'm nowhere near stable but I have seen great improvements.
You should really have a look at the section of the site called Breaking the Cycle of IBS I did this and after a few days I felt much better. Then I started eating chicken breast and I was able to tolerate it quite well. Once her tummy calms down she will be able to eat a variety of good foods.
You may also want to check out what to eat when you can't eat anything
Like your daughter, I am also very new to the EFI diet but I am already starting to see results. It may seem hopeless now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel

--------------------
*Amy*

#326712 - 03/17/08 12:50 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have IBS and I am a fructose malabsorber and latose intolerant. And soy bothers me too - I cannot eat any soy products.

Fructose malaborption is known to produce depression in some individuals. Although IBS alone can cause enough misery to make one depressed It is possible that when you get her fructose problem under control that some of the depression may clear up. There are three research articles about fructose malabsorption given in this message. They are quite technical. In particular, the second article has a table in Figure 2 that gives a list of favourable and unfavourable foods. You will find that you will have to modify the EFI diet and recipes to reduce the fructose intake.

Some good sources of protein include oatmeal, fish, seafood and beans (if she can eat beans).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326718 - 03/17/08 02:11 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Just a note about your daughter being sad all the time - although loved ones of IBS sufferers can sympahise and be supportive it is really difficult to understand the misery it causes. Yor daughter might be anxious about the symptoms and discomfort. IBS symptoms can be relentless and depessing in themselves. Also there may be things she can't do because she is feeling unwell. For example i feel bloated and have some tummy pain most days and i worry about going for days out in case i am unwell which makes me sad and frustrated.

Hopefully your daugter will begin to feel better once starting the diet and some of her sadness should allieviate. I wish her all the best

#326720 - 03/17/08 02:47 PM
Katerie

Reged: 03/12/08
Loc: US

thank you all! heather's books just arrived about an hour ago so that's great! she can't handle beans, but I will definitely try fish for her. It's good to know that so many of you sometimes don't feel like going out etc. because she hates leaving the house recently, but at least I know it's all part of this.

Thanks again for the advice!

#326721 - 03/17/08 03:05 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I wish this board had been around when I was diagnosed for my dear mum! It's very good of you to help her. I know my mum was at her wits end a lot when I was a teen and being diagnosed.

For protein, you daughter can also try nut butters - peanut, almond, etc in small quantites.
I had to eliminate all meats and seafood for a while, but I'm back to chicken - white meat only, shrimp, and snow crab. I also use a lot of soy milk for cooking with, but I don't just drink a glass outright as it bothers me sometimes too.
My best suggestion is for your daughter to start with "what to eat when you can't eat anything" or the Soluable fibre (SF) diet. And no, don't worry she will not put on a lot of weight eating all these carbs. I've been strictly following the diet for several years and in the course of the last 2 or so lost 45 lbs.

Sample diet for your daughter:

Breakfasts:
Instant oatmeal - watch for ones with milk - avoid dairy!
Banana
French or Sour Dough toast with some peanut butter

Lunch:
French or Sour Dough bread with some roasted chicken breast
White rice
Potatoes or sweet potatoes

Supper:
Pasta noodles with tomato sauce (if she can tolerate it)
Rice
Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes
Summer or acorn squash (remember, the more mashable the vegetable, the easier to digest)
Protein? Chicken breast, crab meat, tofu.

Snacks (I live on snacks throughout the day!)
Pretzels
Luna Bars
Rice crackers
Fat free Pringles
Bananas

For a while, it will be very difficult to decide what to make, but once she is more stable, it will be easier. I'm back up to eating all kinds of veggies, even small salads. I still avoid dairy like the plague and don't even consider red meat or pork as food options.

You've come to the right place. The board is extremely supportive and we have lots of very helpful, caring people.

All the best for you Mom, and your daughter too.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#326725 - 03/17/08 03:36 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Now that she is eating all these carbs she worries about weight gain,

Am I wrong, or wouldn't all the white carbs make slow transit constipation worse? Isn't that different?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#326727 - 03/17/08 03:57 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi there, as it's been said above, most of us can definitely relate to your daughter's sadness. Just this morning my hubby asked me what was wrong, that I looked really sad. Of course, I was just thinking about my IBS, how much it sucks, and that I wish I knew what to eat and what not to eat... But, as your daughter gets better, she will need to think about IBS less and less and thus she should be happier.

Toady gave you a really good example of a sample diet for your daughter. However, as your daughter is predominantly C, I would also carefully add more insoluble fiber (as Jordy pointed out). First, I would read all about soluble and insoluble fiber. How is your daughter feeling now? Is she having a lot of painful attack, or is it bloating and constipation? Definitely start with the "break the cycle" diet, just to calm her gut down a bit and then start adding more SF foods (again, Toady's sample menu is great). As she starts feeling better start carefully incorporating IF foods into her diet to help with the constipation. But be really careful not to overdo it or rush it. I know everyone always says to eat as much IF as possible to battle constipation but that doesn't apply to us IBS folks. Unfortunately you guys will need to figure our the best ratio of SF/IF for her on your own as everyone is different. But generally, you can start adding little bit of brown rice to white rice, well-cooked veggies to potatoes, etc. If she likes cereal in the morning, I would mix some fiber containing cereal with rice chex type cereal so that it wouldn't be too harsh on her tummy.

It will take a while for her to get stable but I believe Heather's diet is the best place to start. Good luck to both of you!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1493

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review