All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Too much Acacia?
      #326491 - 03/12/08 08:48 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I'm glad I've been keeping a food/symptom journal on the fitness board, because I've actually noticed something!

Last Monday, the 3rd, I increased my Acacia to 11.5 grams per day (2 3/4 tsp in the am, and 1 tbs in the pm). By Wednesday I was having TWO BM's every morning. I'd go once and about 15-20 minutes later I'd go again. Before that, when I was on 11 grams, I was going once pretty regularly.

This past Monday, the 10th, I increased the Acacia to an even 12 grams (1 tbs in the am, 1 tbs in the pm). This morning (Wednesday again) I ALMOST had THREE BM's. I kind of liked it when I was just going ONCE.

Could this be the Acacia? Should I drop back down to 11 grams per day?

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too much Acacia? new
      #326503 - 03/12/08 10:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might have to take into account the amount of fiber you are getting in your diet as well as the amount your are getting from the SFS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326505 - 03/12/08 11:08 AM
Erilyn

I just looked back through my journal and I can't see any notable increases in dietary fiber. On Sunday and Monday of this week I had homemade black bean minestrone soup so that was probably a bit higher in fiber than usual, but everything else has been pretty consistent.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#326509 - 03/12/08 12:32 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Interesting. It is quite easy to get an additional 1 gram of fiber by eating 1/2 slice of bread or 1/4 cup of white rice. I hope you figure it out. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326517 - 03/12/08 03:36 PM
Erilyn

Ah well. IBS is a strange beast. I'm sure 1 measly gram of fiber isn't enough to make a difference between the number of BM's I'm having in a day... it just seemed kind of strange that for two Mondays in a row I increased my Acacia, and both following Wednesdays my BMs increased as well.

--------------------

#326564 - 03/14/08 05:05 AM
Claudie

Reged: 12/29/07
Loc: Australia

I don't measure it in grams but I only have 1 teaspoon am and pm and then 1/2 teaspoon before I go to bed. It doesn't seem like much but if I increase my night dose to 3/4 teaspoon I also have more BM's. I have experimented and increased it again to 1 teaspoon at night (3 per day) but the bm's also increase. At the moment I am sticking to 2 and a half teaspoons. It's hard to believe that is enough but I don't want to keep going to the loo all day.

--------------------
IBS D

#326587 - 03/14/08 11:32 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I'm sure 1 measly gram of fiber isn't enough to make a difference between the number of BM's I'm having in a day

This made me smile, as I would tend to agree. If you are experiencing worsening of symptoms as you continue at the higher dose, I would just go back to what I was doing. But give it some time in case it's just coincidence?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#326589 - 03/14/08 11:33 AM
Jordy

Wow, what a difference such a small amount seems to have made!

--------------------

#326608 - 03/14/08 03:25 PM
Erilyn

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure 1 measly gram of fiber isn't enough to make a difference between the number of BM's I'm having in a day

This made me smile, as I would tend to agree. If you are experiencing worsening of symptoms as you continue at the higher dose, I would just go back to what I was doing. But give it some time in case it's just coincidence?

I think it was a coincidence, after all. The last two mornings I've gone back to just 1 BM. That's just the way I like it!

--------------------

hope it continues! new
      #326637 - 03/15/08 01:43 PM
Jordy

And I wish it would have worked for me. Did it work the first trial with it or did you give up on it and then try it again?

--------------------

Re: hope it continues! new
      #326653 - 03/15/08 04:23 PM
Erilyn

I started out with Benefibre probably close to 2 years ago. I liked it, but it was really expensive. I started buying Heather's Acacia after a couple of months. Then, for at least a year, I was only taking it once a day, and only about a tsp or so. It was only last October or November that I started increasing the dosage. Once I reached 10 grams per day, I started seeing some results.

--------------------

there is nothing wrong new
      #326684 - 03/16/08 03:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

with having multiple BMs. It isn't convenient but it is healthy. Sometimes I go more than three times a day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review