All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this constant pain even IBS ?
      #326356 - 03/09/08 11:40 PM
ianb

Reged: 01/27/08
Loc: Belgium

I have IBS-D for about 6 years now. Started when I stopped smoking, could be coincidental. Anyways since August last year it became worse. It went from pain when I ate something wrong and had to run to the toilet and get relief, to pain all day long with running to the toilet and having no relief at all. I been having in constant pain for about 6 months now and it's slowly driving me crazy. I needed to vent a little. I went and had a colonoscopy taken, said there was nothing wrong, I went to another GI in Leuven ( one of the biggest hospitals in Belgium) there had blood taken, CT scan, schedualed ileocolonscopy( ? ) and endoscopy. My blood showed a lack of vitamine B-12. Is this common for IBS ? The CT-scan showed a lightly more then normal swollen small intestenine, the GI said it could be because it was spasming? I been living on bananas,rice milk, rice/potatoes with chicken/fish , i tried without flavor, i tried with onion and garlic powder, doesn't seem to make any difference, it's hard to tell if your intollerant of anything when there is always pain. Heather's diet did solve my D problems. I can control my D pretty much if i stick to carrots,chicken,white fish,rice, etc etc, the SF foods. However I can't seem to get rid of the pain. Peppermint tea doesn't seem to help. I been taking Acadia even tho D is not a major problem anymore but still there is the pain. I'm clueless here. is this constant pain even a symptom of IBS ? I keep thinking and silently hoping something else (not serious) is going on so they can threat the pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this constant pain even IBS ? new
      #326357 - 03/10/08 05:26 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Constant pain is what took me to the doctor about a year ago and resulted in the diagnosis. Other than that I have no advice except to tell you that bananas give me pain, gas and sometimes D. Hope you get some answers soon.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326358 - 03/10/08 06:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pain is quite common with IBS. Lack of vitamin B12 is not common for IBS but I would guess it is not unusual either.

Please post the foods the complete diet you have eaten for the past 2-3 days and we will see if we can spot an problematic foods. For example what fruits have you been eating? And where is the pain located?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326359 - 03/10/08 07:18 AM
ianb

Hey Syl,The pain is usually located bollow my belly, at my waist. Lately I have noticed periods of pain around my navel and even a bit higher up. Sometimes it seems like it goes up and down. My diet for the past 2 days was as followed
Saturday: - Breakfast: I started of with 1/2 lvl teaspoon of acadia and had one banana (sometimes eating bananas in the morning make me feel better for a short period)
- Lunch : Chicken ( salt,pepper,onion/garlic powder)I had to add that I started adding onion/garlic powder for more flavor, in the past I ate pepper/salt or just plan with potatoes and unsweetned applesauce (the way I cook the chicken is with some sort of coaster, it allows me to keep out any oils and butter)
- Snack : 5 shrimps with gluten free bread ( I'm not intollerant as far as I know,but the test still have to come back, so I play it safe)
- Dinner : Halibut ( pepper) with potatoes and applesauce
- Snack : One ricecake (I also had a few jellybeans but they only have corn syrup, i'm avoiding anything with fructose because i'm starting to get paranod like that lol)

Sunday: - Breakfast : 1/2 lvl teaspoon of acadia and had one banana
- Lunch : Chicken ( salt,pepper,onion/garlic powder) with potatoes ( ran out of applesauce )
- Snack : Remaining 5 shrimps with gluten free bread
- Dinner: Chicken ( salt,pepper,onion/garlic powder) with potatoes

Monday (thusfar) Breakfast : One banana and I made a smoothie with one banana, some vanilla rice milk, a bit of unsweetened cacao and some white tablesugar

Lunch : Chicken ( salt,pepper,onion/garlic powder) with potatoes

------------------------------------------------------------
I avoid any type of candy now including jellybeans incase they were the culprit. I have cut so much out of my diet tho I'm running out of things to eat.
The Major pain started after I cheated 2 weeks ago Wednesday and ate a pizza( bad move ) but lesson learned. The pain never goes away however, when I cheat it's just agony and when I follow the diet it's a bit better but still hairpulling at times. But the D stays under control
This whole thing started in August when I ate a hamburger at some restaurant I never tried. I keep thinking maybe it wasn't "clean" there and I caught something. I know they had to close down a while for something in the food. But I haven't heard of any complaints from ppl.
I have to add I'm a very nervous person. It's like there is to much energy in my body, even when I excersice like a madman and am exhausted, I still can't sit still. I'm just throwing everything out there in case there is someone who can help

#326360 - 03/10/08 07:50 AM
Syl

Generally speaking you diet looks fine. It is quite similar to mine. However, I would try removing onion/garlic powder, applesauce and rice cakes. The onion/garlic powder can be high IF and they contain sulphur compounds. I cannot eat them at all. And applesauce can be high in fructose. Rice cakes are usually made with whole grain brown rice and they can be high in IF.

If you feel better after a few days then one of these may have been the culprit. You can add them back in one at a time and see how it goes. I would only add another one after you had tested the previous one for a few days.

Did you have your IBS before you ate the hamburger in August? The reason I ask is that there IBS is known to start after a having gastroenteritis. It is called post-infectious IBS.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#326362 - 03/10/08 08:34 AM
ianb

I remember when I was about 16 (now 22) I stopped smoking cigaretters and marijuana. Then after a while it just HIT me, I had constant pain for 2 weeks, but it faded away eventually to a point where I could eat what I wanted, but if it was to greasy or a trigger food, I just had to run to the bathroom with D. after that I good to go and painfree. Before August I also had a 2 month period where I had alot of stomach acid. This resolved itself in time but turned into this I guess.

#326368 - 03/10/08 09:26 AM
Syl

Interesting. Heather had an article on the beneficial value of marijuana for IBS in this newsletter. Before it was made illegal tincture of marijuana was commonly used to treat spastic bowel (IBS). Recently some researchers from GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK who have a Cannabinoid Research Institute published a research paper (see reference below) showing the beneficial effects it can have for controlling pain and inflammation for IBS, migraines and fibromyalgia possibly due to endocannabinoid deficiency in the body. There have been a number of research papers published recently showing similar beneficial effects for IBS.

Hope things get better soon

Reference
Russo, E. B., 2004: Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD): Can this Concept Explain Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis in Migraine, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other Treatment-Resistant Conditions? Neuroendocrinology Letters, 25, 31-39.

--------------------

#326369 - 03/10/08 09:30 AM
ianb

Thank you, I hope so to, I will follow your advice on the diet and hope it get's better. I don't wanna resort back to marijuana and I know you didnt recommend me to do so altho I have thought about it. It's more a last resort. Good thing I live 15minutes away from Holland where it is legal, it is a legal grey area here. If I improve I will post in this thread. Thanks again for listening and your advice

#327864 - 04/06/08 12:42 AM
ianb

I wanted to give a little update on my status.
I am currently doing better painwise.
I use to only spice my chicken with pepper and salt. I read on wikipedia the following : Pepper is eliminated from the diet of patients having abdominal surgery and ulcers because of its irritating effect upon the intestines, being replaced by what is referred to as a bland diet. So I cut out pepper and a major part of the pain seemed to have dissapeared now. Hopefully this is the trigger that caused me so much pain in the past, since I always used pepper. Now I also noticed salt gives me heartburn, probably because I have been using it to much, which is one of the things they say, to much of salt causes heartburn. I'm not 100% painfree atm but I feel like I might be heading on a path here. I do have alot more gas now for a week. Not quite sure why, I blaim the current gas( past day ) on the luna bars I have been eating cause of to much soy (2 or 3 a day) I know to much but they are so good ! I'm cutting them out for a bit and will slowly add em back, 1 every 2 days in a week or so and see how that goes.

#327918 - 04/07/08 12:01 PM
mizutenshi1

Reged: 04/03/07
Loc: Portland, OR

i have a little suggestion- some rice cakes dont use whole grain rice- you just have to read all the stupid labels and i love applesauce so i make it myself- that way there isnt any fructose corn syrup in it.
i dont know if you own a crock pot, if not you could always cook applesauce on the stovetop too.
recipe:
Crockpot Simple Applesauce Recipe:
About 8 cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (though you don't have to peel them if you plan on putting them through a food mill)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste

Combine apples and water in crockpot and cook on low for about 5 hours or on high for 2 1/2 hours, til apples are soft. Then add sugar and cinnamon and stir. Makes 4 cups of applesauce.

(I've put in a LOT more apples than this, plus extra water and sugar, of course, to make bigger batches in about the same amount of time. It's pretty foolproof--you just get the proportions right and cook til they're soft.)

gluck!

--------------------
"Smile at someone for no reason at all, theyll think ure up to something."(IBS-A)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review