All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
NSAIDs and Intestinal Damage
      #326329 - 03/09/08 07:49 AM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed previously. I did a search and found nothing. Thought I would bring the subject to the forum: might be a small piece of the puzzle for some.

Research has shown that use of NSAID medications (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) causes severe damage to the small intestine.

See this link:

NSAIDs

I have consumed tons of these drugs over the last (almost) 30 years to combat the severe menstrual cramps I have always suffered from. I have also taken tons of NSAIDs to treat many aches and pains and sports injuries. Recently I decided to completely quit taking these medications to see if that would help my IBS. It is too soon to tell yet if it will help.

Does anyone else have an opinion or experience with this issue?

I just wonder why IBS is such an epidemic now when 20 years ago nobody ever had heard of such problems. Why is this so common now? And why does the condition mostly affect women? It is so perplexing.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NSAIDs and Intestinal Damage new
      #326330 - 03/09/08 08:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

NSAIDs including aspirin and Ibuprofen may but not always irritate the GI tract, usually the duodenum or stomach. The risk increases with the dose, amount of time they are taken and the type of NSAID taken. NSAIDs may increase IBS symptoms but not likely cause them.

IBS is not new. It has been with us for centuries it use to be called spastic colon. The frequency of occurrence around the world is about the same. The reasons it effects more women than men is still a mystery.

It surely cannot hurt to quite taking NSAIDs and see that reduces any of your IBS symptoms. However, NSAIDs tend to affect the upper GI tract and not the colon where most IBS problems occur.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: NSAIDs and Intestinal Damage new
      #341781 - 02/07/09 03:38 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

It makes sense it can cause damage. All medications can cause severe damage since they are not healthy. Drug companies just care about money and that's it. I've been taking ibuprofen for years for my cramps since they are severe due to severe IBS. If I don't they are way worse. It's scary.:(

Edited by Catgirl (02/07/09 03:39 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7925 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review