All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Red Meat
      #326099 - 03/05/08 09:31 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Just a little clarification - is the reason we can't eat red meat simply because of the high fat content? Or is there another reason? There was an article on the Yahoo home page today about eating red meat and "still staying slim". The tips for cutting the fat sounded pretty reasonable. It sure would be nice to enjoy some extra-lean ground beef again once in a while...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Red Meat new
      #326120 - 03/05/08 01:05 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

My absolute favorite meal before IBS was a wonderfully prepared filet mignon with a glass of Cabernet. I have tried twice in the last six months to eat just a bite of extra lean filet and I had a very bad reaction both times (and I didn't even try the wine). I do hate that!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326123 - 03/05/08 01:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I believe it is more than the fat. The 'fibers' for lack of a better word are hard to digest and cause even normal people to be C and have indigestion etc.

There will always be some trick food claimed to cause weight loss. Yesterday I looked over an article in Woman's Day on how to lose 1.5 pounds per week and it was eating cream, cheese, bacon, egg yolks etc! They had some theory about the fat containing something that caused weight loss. Whatever!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#326124 - 03/05/08 01:19 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I luckily do not seem to have a problem with red meat as long as I am obeying other rules.. and a glass of wine doesn't seem to bother me either.. I suppose it has to do with the everyone is different aspect.. some of us can have milk... I unfortunately cannot

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#326125 - 03/05/08 01:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I eat bison or pork tenderloin once a week.

I particularly enjoy bison meatballs in a homemade tomato sauce on spaghetti or a small bison steak from the BBQ in the summer. Another favorite is pork tenderloin chunks in a homemade sweet and sour sauce on a bed of rice. And I love to have a small glass of homemade red wine just to clear my palate from time to time

Red meat takes a bit longer to digest than other meats. I find my bowel movements are somewhat delayed on the days when I eat bison and pork. This fact doesn't stress me like it might other IBS suffers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326159 - 03/06/08 06:08 AM
Barbara50

Could you post your recipe for sweet and sour sauce?? Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

S&S sauce new
      #326220 - 03/06/08 02:07 PM
Syl

My sweet and sour sauce is very basic. Here is roughly the amount for four small or two large servings:

1/3 cup stock (I use homemade chicken)
1/4 cup rice vinegar (unseasoned)
1/4 cup sake or homemade fruit wine (I use mango, chokecherry, crab apple and Saskatoon berry)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-2 tbsp light flavored olive oil
1/4 tsp sesame oil
2-3 tbsp good quality tomato paste
1 tbsp glucose (corn sugar)
2-3 slices ginger root
1-2 halved garlic cloves
salt
pepper

Soy gives me too much gas so I don't use it. If you can handle it then add 3-4 tbsp dark soy sauce. I brown the pork tenderloin chunks in a lightly oiled pan, add them and veggie chunks (peeled carrot slices, green peas, red pepper, asparagus pieces, etc) to the sauce and let it simmer lightly for 40-60 minutes. If you want your veggies less well cooked than added them later. I leave the pot uncovered until the sauce has reduced to a taste I like and then I cover the pot and reduce the heat further.

Before serving on a bed of rice remove garlic and ginger pieces and thicken to desired constancy with corn starch. Enjoy with a small glass of homemade white wine

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: S&S sauce new
      #326262 - 03/07/08 10:14 AM
Barbara50

Thank you SOOOO much. I am going to try this this weekend. I have fructose intolerance and soy intolerance so this perfect for me. I won't have the homemade wine tho because my father who made such things has gone on to his reward. I'll have to use sake!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#326266 - 03/07/08 11:41 AM
Syl

You can use sherry instead of sake. However, I tend to stay away from the cheaper fortified wines because I think they can contain added sugars not just additional alcohol or brandy.

Tell me how it works for you.

--------------------

#326291 - 03/08/08 06:50 AM
Barbara50

I used sake and I grilled salmon and added it about 5 minutes before serving because I'm not yet ready for pork tenderloin. It was great. Thanks. Next time I'll try to pork!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4997 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review