All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
which soy milk?
      #325929 - 03/02/08 07:22 PM
cdc6800

Reged: 02/27/08
Loc: biloxi,ms

I am in the process of weeding out all dairy, so I know Heather recommends vanila soy milk for drinking and unsweetened to cook with, so yesterday I went to buy some I had no idea there were so many different kinds from smooth to lite and so many different brands. Is there any certain brand that is the most tolerable, I have heard they don't taste too great. But just some advice on which kind or brand would be the best would be great! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: which soy milk? new
      #325937 - 03/03/08 04:08 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I tried several brands before I settled on one I like. 8th Continent Lite is my favorite. Regular 8th Continent is also great. It's creamier. Haven't tried their fat free version, though.

Silk is also pretty tasty.

#325938 - 03/03/08 05:48 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I like Edensoy light. The regular is nice also when you want something creamy. I started subing in my baking and cooking and now I can't even taste the soy flavor anymore. It is natural to me.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#325945 - 03/03/08 09:02 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I LOVE soy milk! And the more you drink it, the more you like it. My favourite for just drinking, using on cereal, and baking is Silk Light. For a change of pace, once in a while I treat myself to the So Good Decadent Chocolate. So Good might just be a Canadian brand though, I'm not sure.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325957 - 03/03/08 02:18 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I used to be a devotee of Natura Light (or regular) Vanilla soymilk. Best one I've tried.

But now I'm off soy and enjoying vanilla Almond Breeze intead.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#325968 - 03/03/08 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

8th continent light contains splenda (and does taste the best) but it isn't really safe then.
There are fridge soy milks and shelf asceptic container soy milks. I started buying the fridge ones (not Silk- don't like it) so I can recycle the container. But now I have switched to rice milk. I buy the vanilla soy milk but the original rice milk. Definitely buy the vanilla soy milk unless you will cook with it. I buy individual sized plain soy milk for cooking to have on hand.
The brands are personal choice and there are many! But I recommend only the normal vanilla soy milk for cereal and drinking and the chocolate for a treat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#325973 - 03/04/08 04:05 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Quote:

8th continent light contains splenda (and does taste the best) but it isn't really safe then.
There are fridge soy milks and shelf asceptic container soy milks. I started buying the fridge ones (not Silk- don't like it) so I can recycle the container. But now I have switched to rice milk. I buy the vanilla soy milk but the original rice milk. Definitely buy the vanilla soy milk unless you will cook with it. I buy individual sized plain soy milk for cooking to have on hand.
The brands are personal choice and there are many! But I recommend only the normal vanilla soy milk for cereal and drinking and the chocolate for a treat.

It's such a trace amount of Splenda that it's never really affected me, and I've been drinking 8th Continent for a good three years now. But, to each their own. I haven't like any of the vanilla milk subs I've tried, but again, that's individual preference.

I will say you'll need plain, and I mean PLAIN soy milk for things like mac & cheese. Otherwise, you end up with something that tastes like a cheese milk shake. I used powdered soy milk for that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3766 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review