All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten free question?
      #325762 - 02/28/08 05:12 PM
Eliza3

Reged: 02/22/08

I was diagnosed with IBS about 13 years ago. 5years ago I had a colonoscopy and my GI tested me for Celiac Spru. My test came back negative but I have heard that you can still be Wheat or Gluten sensitive. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what are the symptoms of Gluten intolerance?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten free question? new
      #325790 - 02/29/08 06:28 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Hi. From my reading, yes, you can test negative but still be sensitive to gluten. I tested negative and decided to try a gluten free diet for 2 months. Thankfully, gluten did not turn out to be an issue for me (the diet is tough, and you have to be very strict).

The symptoms for celiac are quite varied, so I'm not going to try to list them. Here is a great site for information about celiac: http://www.celiac.com/ The people on the message boards are also very helpful for any questions you might have.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#325806 - 02/29/08 09:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is quite unlikely that gluten will be a problem if you tested negative.

However, fructans found in wheat products and vegetables like artichokes, asparagus, onions and garlic have been shown to be a problem for some individuals. Fructans are made up of long chains of fructose molecules. Inulin and FOS, two SF commonly found in SFS, are fructans and they has been reported by many people including Heather to be a problem for IBS suffers.

Fructans are SF that are not digestible by humans and they pass through the small intestine to the colon where they are fermented by colonic bacteria. Fermentation produces gas and other by-products some of which can increase or decrease motility of the large bowel producing C or D. You can read more about fructans, fructose and IBS in this article.

These finding are recent and may help clear up the confusion between problems with wheat and gluten for IBS suffers.

It is important to note that there is no need to eliminate wheat from you diet. However, it is recommended that if you have problems with fructans then is advisable to reduce your consumption of wheat products. I restrict my in-take to 2 slices per day.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#325810 - 02/29/08 09:15 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Yes, you can be sensitive to gluten without having celiacs disease. You can check your bowel for sensitivity through a test, go to www.enterolab.com

or, you can go on a trial gluten free diet over the next two weeks and see if you notice any improvement.

#325815 - 02/29/08 09:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Save your money! The enterolabs stool test has a low specificity and it has a high false positive reporting rate. If you think you have a problem with gluten then talk to your GP or GI doc.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review