All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Still struggling to stabilize D
      #325653 - 02/27/08 02:36 PM
Photofabix

Reged: 06/03/07
Loc: N Florida

Well since my First Post last week (that I'm surprised got only one reply) I switched to a bland diet, as opposed to not eating at all like I was doing. I started making my own bread again from a San Francisco starter that I started last year,

Upon waking up I am taking 1 1/2 teaspoons of Heather's tummy fiber, and taking a Jarrow Probiotic. I then about 15 or so minutes afterwards make 1 serving of Cream of Rice. I try to eat something every 2 hours, usually just plain toast from my loaf to which I keep in the freezer to prevent it from going stale.

For dinner I take another dose (1 1/2 teaspoons) Tummy fiber before eating. I'm making either Jasmine rice (not adding fat) or Basmatti Rice. I rinse the rice for several changes of water, and the Basmatti I soak for a half hour before cooking. Along with Poached chicken (again no fat, only thing added is a lil coarse salt)

So far my D has seemed to settle a bit, a few times this week I have been C. Today I woke up really loose almost D. I'm still getting some cramping as well.

I'm not sure if I should up my Fiber dose more or stay at 1 and 1/2 teaspoons twice a day.

--------------------
IBS-D, Lactose Intolerant, latex allergy, MCS, Sun allergies, depression/anxiety, 156 pounds weight loss now (still dropping), cramping, rarely leave the house.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still struggling to stabilize D
      #325659 - 02/27/08 03:38 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I am IBS-A – meaning I get both C and D. The first few weeks into the diet I was still getting almost liquid attacks of D. I got very discouraged and almost gave up, but I kept going. It wasn't until I'd been on the diet for well over a month – if not closer to two months – that my D started to gradually stabilize. During that time I was also gradually increasing my Acacia, and am now up to 11 grams per day – I am trying to work up to 12 grams, which would be an even 2 tbs per day. The C seems to have cleared up, and I think the D is almost done as well. Actually, I haven't had liquid D for a while now (knock on wood!), though one day last week I did have a very soft BM that almost felt like it was going to be D. give the diet some time, don't cheat, and start to increase your Acacia. You should start seeing some improvements.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325663 - 02/27/08 04:00 PM
Photofabix

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to be patient ..I just been suffering with this for about 2 years now and I just want to be able to feel confident enough to leave the house for once, I'm basically a recluse at this point, sad to say. I really want to get out and look for work, or somewhere else to move to that has work and just get back to a normal life..

I'm trying as well not to cheat, food wise that's easy I can go days with out eating, I've given food up quit a while ago. The hard part is the hot tea. I made a cup of decaf today and hasn't seemed to bother me, but I know from reading here it has to go. I decaf my English breakfast tea by steeping it for 40 seconds, discard, then brew normally which gets rid of almost all the caffeine. I know I need to find a herbal tea, but the few that are in the supermarket are far from appealing. Also having a mint allergy doesn't help that choice much... lol

It's just so hard, I've given up so much, I gave up coffee quit a while back, gave up all the foods I loved, gave up going out to eat, etc... but I know I'm not alone in this struggle and there allot people going through similar struggles.

--------------------
IBS-D, Lactose Intolerant, latex allergy, MCS, Sun allergies, depression/anxiety, 156 pounds weight loss now (still dropping), cramping, rarely leave the house.

#325697 - 02/28/08 09:35 AM

Unregistered

It takes some time to stabilize. I've only been on the diet since October and I wouldn't call myself completely stable yet. It sounds as if you're eating safely. What kind of things are you eating in between meals? Remember not to let your stomach get empty! How long have you been taking the 1 & 1/2 tsp of Acacia? When I started the Acacia I increased my dosage by 1/2 tsp every week. I now take 1 tbsp twice daily but it took awhile to work up to that amount. And remember, what works for someone else may not work for you....keep us posted.

Re: Still struggling to stabilize D new
      #325723 - 02/28/08 12:14 PM
Photofabix

Quote:

It takes some time to stabilize. I've only been on the diet since October and I wouldn't call myself completely stable yet. It sounds as if you're eating safely. What kind of things are you eating in between meals? Remember not to let your stomach get empty! How long have you been taking the 1 & 1/2 tsp of Acacia? When I started the Acacia I increased my dosage by 1/2 tsp every week. I now take 1 tbsp twice daily but it took awhile to work up to that amount. And remember, what works for someone else may not work for you....keep us posted.

I started the fiber about week and a half ago at the 1/2 teaspoon, and worked up to 1 1/2 teaspoons twice a day. I didn't increase because I started to get C one day, but today I have bad bad D, I tired to go to the market today, before I left I used the restroom didn't have D, soon as I was about to leave I had bad D. I still went out soon as I got to the market I had to go again

As for snacking, the only thing I been eating really is my sourdough bread. Usually plain, but I have some Polanar all fruit grape spread (no added sugar just fruit) sometimes. I need to find more snacks, I got Heather's cook book, but there really isn't much in there I can eat, I know from personal experience over the last few years. I was going to pick up some Rice Chex, but they BHT (a very bad preservative) I really don't know what to get at this point. I did pick up some corn chips, Organic Guiltless Gourmet baked blue corn chips,that I plan to add to my bland diet.

I'm still trying to figure what caused the D attack today, it can't be the sourdough (I don't think). I don't add any fat to the dough, it's just flour, water, salt. My starter, I started from an online vendor that sells dried San Fransisco flakes, so far as I know it wasn't started from a dairy culture.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

EDIT:
I think I might of figured out what caused my attack, I forgot I ate this till just now. After dinner last night, I wanted something sweet, so I had some organic Multi Grain waffles in the freezer. I made one of those and some real maple syrup. I'm guessing thats what it had to be

--------------------

Edited by Photofabix (02/28/08 01:38 PM)

#325733 - 02/28/08 01:42 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

You are doing very good. I too had bouts of very bad D for about a month and they almost always happened when I was trying to get ready to go somewhere. I took chewable imodium and an antispasmodic to help. I will say that the grape preserves or jelly may be the cuprit. I have found for some reason that I can only handle seedless strawberry all fruit (or somethine similar). Don't know if its fructose (I tend to have bad reactions to that) or something else. Keep going and don't give up. This is a slow process. I have now reached the one year anniversary of my diagnosis. I'm not quite to the one year anniversary of my starting this diet but I'm now more than six months into it and I am SOOOOOOOO much better. Now if I have D I know why almost immediately. I think one of the hard things is not being allowed to eat what you have always eaten. It is a true pain but oh so worth it. I have learned to eat new things and to really like them. My latest is to put a couple T of almond vanilla milk in my cream of rice with a few spinkles of cinnamon--tastes kinda like rice pudding. Keep us posted.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#325741 - 02/28/08 02:54 PM
Erilyn

Red grapes and ALL red grape products (jam, juice, etc.) are my SWORN enemies. I might as well be eating (or drinking) Ex-Lax. Red grapes and I do NOT get along. If it's purple, I avoid it like the plague!

For some odd reason, though, I can handle green grapes. And raisins, in small quantities. Go figure!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#325742 - 02/28/08 02:55 PM
Photofabix

Next time I'm at the store I will look for a different flavor fruit spread, I can't do Jelly's or Preserves either, there to sweet when they add all that sugar. I always look for just fruit and fruit juice, but your right I guess that juice could break down into a lot of fructose in the system..

Any D sufferers have suggestions for what you like on toast? Or do you prefer your toast plain?

--------------------

#325743 - 02/28/08 02:57 PM
Erilyn

I can do strawberry jam and marmelade. I buy the Smuckers Double Fruit - it has (duh) double the fruit and only half the sugar. They don't seem to give me trouble at all!

--------------------

#325744 - 02/28/08 02:57 PM
Photofabix

Quote:

Red grapes and ALL red grape products (jam, juice, etc.) are my SWORN enemies. I might as well be eating (or drinking) Ex-Lax. Red grapes and I do NOT get along. If it's purple, I avoid it like the plague!

For some odd reason, though, I can handle green grapes. AND raisins, in small quantities. Go figure!

Well thats two votes against grapes lol, I'll scratch grape and anything the shade of purple off my list of safe food ideas

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5201

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review