All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
To all women and people with soy allergies
      #325373 - 02/23/08 11:30 AM
C&P

Reged: 02/01/08

If you are pregnant, still nursing, or just trying to have a baby (possibility of unknown conception), do not eat or drink soy products (might as well drink caffeine).
Don't use soy milk as breast milk when you must work.
If you have allergies to soy products, take the very minimum amount of soy in your diet, to most people the minimum is 2 - 3 servings a day.

The affects of soy isoflavones (similar to female hormones) are still being studied (will increase breast size), but for now I would only take a little bit each day.

I'm still looking up if this pertains to adult males without allergies.
Watch this space for future developments (may or may not promote impotence).

Do Soy Foods Negatively Affect Your Thyroid?

I want to clarify something about the last part of my post ("may or may not promote impotence").
That is not a documented effect, but a theorized effect.
Soy isoflavones are similar to female hormones, and when those are taken, the two most prominent features are male breasts get larger and the person can't get erect anymore.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To all women and people with soy allergies new
      #325412 - 02/24/08 11:52 AM
C&P

Heather, I'm sure you are looking into this to see if I'm not all bull.
I am not a doctor but just found this out, and I actually thought it was all bull too.
Please pin this thread as I think it could be very useful.
I'll continue to edit this when new info about it comes along.

#325436 - 02/24/08 03:12 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

No offence but I do think this is all bull. Asian populations have been using soy and soy products for centuries and they seem perfectly healthy. In fact they are some of the healthiest people on the planet.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325440 - 02/24/08 04:28 PM
C&P

Quote:

No offense but I do think this is all bull. Asian populations have been using soy and soy products for centuries and they seem perfectly healthy. In fact they are some of the healthiest people on the planet.

The Asian diet consists of white rice and brown rice (also fried rice), angel hair pasta and cellophane noodles, green tea and hot tea, green or leafy vegetables, string beans, pea pods, carets, water chestnuts, chickpeas, sesame seeds, almonds, ginger cloves with anise, seaweed, shrimp, steamed squid, raw and steamed octopus, raw and baked fish, loads of gravy, duck, chicken, fried pork, fried beef, fried dough, and cinnamon sticks.
Also a lot of citrus as well as apples.

How much do you think soy products contribute (not to mention MSG)?

#325649 - 02/27/08 01:53 PM
C&P

Quote:

No offense but I do think this is all bull. Asian populations have been using soy and soy products for centuries and they seem perfectly healthy. In fact they are some of the healthiest people on the planet.

No offense taken since I posted after I heard it for the first time.
It's basically gossip that got out of hand.
There is a real danger of thyroid problems with soy, just as there's a real danger of lung cancer with smoking.
That doesn't mean you have to get lung cancer while smoking or have thyroid problems from drinking soy milk.
What they're saying is there is a chance, but it's a very slim one.

SOY CONSUMPTION AND THYROID FUNCTIONING (Mon Aug 13, 2001)

#325650 - 02/27/08 02:05 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

The controversy I had heard regarding soy was about genetically modified, unfermented soy products, and even that was all speculation and there was no hard proof (then again, there rarely is "hard proof" when it comes to these things). Many soy product manufacturers now use non-GMO (non-genetically modified) soybeans to make their products, just in case. From what I recall reading, fermented soy and non-GMO soy are 100% safe.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325662 - 02/27/08 03:54 PM
C&P

Quote:

From what I recall reading, fermented soy and non-GMO soy are 100% safe.

Make that 98 percent safe and we are in agreement.
I just read a few comments of members of other sites who say they do have problems after eating or drinking soy, but as I said, the numbers are very few.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1660

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review