Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Very new to this... Please help!
      #325368 - 02/23/08 09:44 AM
amyleanne

Reged: 02/22/08
Loc: Canada

Hi Guys!
I should start by saying that I think its great that you've all come together to offer this great resource and support for people like me.
I was recently diagnosed with IBS but have been suffering for a very long time. Its really effecting my day to day life at this point. Anyway, I was thinking of trying the diet to "Break the cycle of IBS" (I'm sure you're all familiar with this). I suffer from constipation, bloating, and moderate to sever stomach pain. The diet suggests to include a SFS as well as many foods that contain SF. My current diet is obviously not working but it does contain a fair amount of insoluble fiber. I don't take laxatives so any bowel movement I have is probably because of this insoluble fiber in my diet. My question is... Is it ok for me to cut it out for a period of time why I try and break the cycle? I know I will have to slowly incorporate it back in but I'm worried about that time when I'm bran free. Should I start taking a laxative? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Amy

--------------------
*Amy*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Very new to this... Please help! new
      #325377 - 02/23/08 05:06 PM

Unregistered

Hey Amy,

Welcome. I, like you, was (am) IBS-C and never used laxatives. About a year and a half ago I was constantly bloated and the only BM's I had were tiny little pellets (sorry if it's TMI) that either kind of fell out of my body and left me feeling miserably unsatisfied or were incredibly hard to move...and left me feeling miserably unsatisfied. My diet used to consist of lots of IF, like yours does now. When I switched over to the Eating For IBS Diet, I learned to have a SF base for the healthful delicious IF I was already eating. Now I'm in very good shape. I have normal BM's, less bloating and a lot more energy. I never eat bran anymore. I think it was actually bloating me and causing my C. I do eat white rice with steamed vegetables every day. To get IF, I'm able to have steamed broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash and red pepper, as long as they're again, steamed, and mixed with white rice and steamed carrots for SF. I also eat all sorts of beans and lentils mixed with rice. I think you'll be surprised that if you eliminate the IF for a little while and then reincorporate it in meals with a SF base, you'll have more successful, more satisfying BM's. I don't think there's any reason for you to start taking a laxative because why risk dependency on one before you give this diet a go? Everybody's body is different, of course, but any questions you have, always ask...

Take care,
Jen
-I should add that I use a probiotic, a prebiotic and the peppermint capsules daily.

Jen new
      #325380 - 02/23/08 06:13 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Can you tolerate any fruit? Or do you usually exclude it frome your diet altogether?

I'm finding it quite challenging to find fruits I'm okay with.

Do you take a fiber supplement or anything?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Jen new
      #325381 - 02/23/08 06:59 PM

Unregistered

Jordy,

I haven't been eating fruit in the last month or so, and honestly, I'm less bloated. I'm pretty sure I'm fructose-sensitive, although I don't have health insurance so I haven't been tested. So right now I'm not eating fruit. I'm planning on experimenting with berries kinda soon. Maybe mashing up some blueberries and adding them to my oatmeal. I miss blueberries! And I worry that I don't eat fruit.

As for the fiber, I use acacia (about 3 tsps a day right now). I also take a probiotic every morning and a peppermint capsule.

Are you a C?

#325403 - 02/24/08 09:13 AM
Jordy

Oh yeah....big time C, pain, gas, bloating!

--------------------

#325408 - 02/24/08 10:50 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Sorry to butt in but i'm also C and find that the most tolerable fruit are melon and mangoes. All the others bloat or constipate or just don't sit very well. I can also have kiwi.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Thanks, Sarah! new
      #325424 - 02/24/08 01:50 PM
Jordy

I just bought some nectarines, apples, and canned peaches...oh, and strawberry/raspberry mixture too. Hope I'm okay.

--------------------

#325439 - 02/24/08 04:28 PM

Unregistered

You're not butting in, Silly! Jordy, I hope you can have the mango and melon. I'm 90% sure I'm fructose sensitive, so I know mango is definitely out. Can't remember about the melon. I refer to the article Syl posted all the time, but haven't committed it to memory yet since I've yet to reincorporate fruit. I still have high hopes for the occasional blueberry...

#325454 - 02/25/08 04:47 AM
welshsarah

It's funny one that because i'd consider myself fructose sensitive as i can't handle fruit juices and smoothies as my body can't cope with all that fructose. Weird...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#325458 - 02/25/08 06:46 AM
Jordy

I am C also, and never did the total SF diet for the first 3 or 4 days. Even going without IF for that long didn't seem appropriate for me.

--------------------

Fruits new
      #325529 - 02/26/08 09:21 AM
Jordy

You consider yourself fructose sensitive, yet you do okay with mango? Hmm. Have you ever tried to eat papaya, pineapple, or an apple? I thought papaya and pineapple were suppose to be digestive enzymes....but I guess they are not okay if you have problems with fructose or citrus?

--------------------

Re: Fruits new
      #325531 - 02/26/08 09:25 AM
welshsarah

Yeah, to be honest i don't think i can cope with mango. I love it so i try to convince myself that it's fine. I know for certain that i handle melon and the berry fruits. The rest i don't think i can. I find pineapple too acidic. Have never tried papaya. The only fruit juice i do ok with is cranberry... I had apple juice today because i really craved it and my stomach has been cramping ever since.

Jordy, why is it all so baffling??? I seem to react differently to things from one week to the next. AH well

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Fruits new
      #325603 - 02/27/08 05:57 AM
Jordy

Quote:

Yeah, to be honest i don't think i can cope with mango

Just be careful that it really is your body that cannot tolerate it...and not the fear of hearing others cannot. I am finding that difficult.

Confusing, baffling, frustrating, no consistancy.....yes, it is a big mystery that I often think is impossible to understand because it is so different all the time. This frustrates me to no end! It does seem like some people have consistant problematic foods...but others...it's just hit or miss. I'm in this latter group!

--------------------

#325676 - 02/28/08 02:11 AM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Well, it's jmo, but I must suffer from the worst chronic constipation ever, and I canNOT eat much insoluble, or I will clog up. Yes, I need *some* to push things along, but not too much. A little insoluble goes a looong way, for me.

Again, jmo, the soluble fiber is much more important for IBS-C, as it helps soothe the gut and draws water into the stool. I do three tablespoons/day, about an hour before eating. Have you tried stool softeners? You might want to talk to your dr about them... 300mgs/day is considered the normal dose, but I take 500mgs/day, and I've read some ppl use much, much more, but I wouldn't do that without first discussing it w/your dr.

And of course, water water water. Four to five half-liter bottles/day, and a cup of tea here/there.

If you can draw enuf water down there, along with a bit of push, you'll be right as rain.

** cheryl **
IBS-C, bigtime

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review