All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what cereal should I eat?
      #325338 - 02/22/08 09:34 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

so after a year of giving up soy milk, i finally decided to try rice milk...its been a week and i seem to be ok with 1 glass a day...so i was hoping to give cereal a try..after reading a post about Rice Chek i went to my local grocery store but it isn't sold in Canada? they had crispix but i didn't know if corn is ok for IBS-D...what do u think..there is no Whole Foods in my area either..just local health food stores and big chains

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what cereal should I eat? new
      #325348 - 02/23/08 04:49 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My safe cereals:

Corn or rice Chex

Crispix

Malt-o-Meal's version of Captain Crunch

Malt-o-Meal's version of Fruit Loops

Apple Jacks

Reduced sugar Froot Loops (this product just plain uses less sugar and does NOT replace it with an artificial sugar)

Plain Cheerios

Rice Crispies

Puffed rice may also be safe, but it's not something I eat. I just don't care for it.

There's also good old plain oatmeal. Again, this is something not everyone can handle. I, on the other hand, ate it nearly every morning for about 2 years. It was a stablilizing food for me.

Note: Some of these may have high-fructose corn syrup in them. I personally am not sensitive to it, but some people are. As usual, read labels religiously. You may sometimes find the off brands (i.e. Malt-o-Meal) are safer.

#325359 - 02/23/08 06:58 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I'm not sure about Canada but here's what I eat in the US. Perhaps you could find them in your store as well:

Crispix (rice)
Rice Chex (rice)
Queaker's Oatmeal Squares (these have wheat and oats)

Those are my staples. I don't like flavored and colored cereal so when I remember I sprinkle cinnamon on mine. Every time I go to the HFS I like to look at different cereals they have and try them out. Last time I found this millet rice flakes, it looks like corn flakes but have oat, rice, and millet flours. If I find cereal I think I like but seems like it has too much IF I just mix it with my "staples" to create the desired SF/IF ratio as well as new flavors .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#325387 - 02/23/08 08:38 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I eat Rice Krispies and Special K. Both are rice cereals. I haven't ventured beyond these because every non-rice cereal, such as those made with corn, wheat, or oats, make me very gassy. I eat oatmeal on the weekends though. It doesn't seem to make me gassy, but is too much trouble to prepare before work on weekdays.

I recently tried the vanilla flavoured Rice Krispies - they are pretty good! Almost remind me exactly of Rice Krispie treats. I'll have to check Crispix - didn't realize it was a rice cereal.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325391 - 02/24/08 12:56 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Erilyn, sorry, I made a mistake - Crispix is half rice half corn. But it might be OK for you, it definitely doesn't bother me the way corn flakes do. I didn't realize they make vanilla rice krispies, I'll have to check it out next time I go to the store. Sounds yummy!.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5198 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1890

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review