All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does anyone ever die from this?
      #325303 - 02/22/08 02:13 PM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Because I don't seem to have any safe foods. Because the acacia helps w/my C, but I still have terrible cramping and gas. Who wants to eat when you feel like that? So I wait for it to pass, and then I'm just too scared to eat. I suppose that sounds stupid.

I woke up early this morning, after only three hours of sleep, with all that awful gas and roiling around which went on for hours. I could tell I was hungry, but I had no appetite... I can't eat when my gut is in active rebellion. I've lost a ton of weight... there are many days when I go without food, entirely, and those are my only days free of the rumble and gas. Food is my enemy... it causes me pain after I eat it, and it gives me pain when it needs to leave. I feel like I will die of certain starvation and malnutrition.

It's after two pm, here, and I still haven't eaten. Why bother?

** cheryl **

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone ever die from this? new
      #325323 - 02/22/08 05:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

What treatments have you tried? A doctor would probably give you an antispasmodic and recommend enzymes and probiotics.
Isn't some of your pain hunger pangs? When I haven't eaten in a couple hours I get terrible hunger pains. With at least pep caps or an antispasmodic you should be able to start eating and then find some safe foods to get yourself on a stable course.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#325333 - 02/22/08 07:18 PM
Hunca

My dr has sat there, in front of me, twice now, and said, "I don't know what to do with you." So, we've tried a lot. Problem is, I am so hypersensitive to pharmaceuticals. Some, like Xanax, I could take boatloads of, but with so many other things, I have to cut the pills into quarters, in order to be able to tolerate them. The Zoloft was a disaster... might have made me feel 'brighter' mentally, during the day, but then later in the evening, I'd start feeling like my skin wanted to turn itself inside-out. And, this was on a quarter of a 25mg tab! My dr just shakes his head in disbelief.

I have fibro, and now this IBS, which was triggered into full-flare by my hemorrhoidectomy last March. I can't mix much of anything more w/what I'm already taking. Xanax XR 2mg/twice daily, Diovan (high bp), Singulair (asthma), Synthroid (hypothyroidism), Elavil (a quarter of a 25mg tab), and Ultracet.

He gave me Flexeril, but I'm too afraid to take it. So much of what I take contributes to my C, as would any type of muscle relaxant. I guess I could try the pep caps, but I'm leery of heartburn (also have GERD).

I was nearly killed in an auto accident many years ago, and they put me back together, but told me I'd have problems later-on... this is later-on, and stress is a huge factor for me. I always have Lorazepam on-hand, so I took a quarter tab today, and have felt better, so... with me, it's so much about stress. The Ultracet works wonders, and the dr wrote the scrip so I can take it 3x/day, but I can only handle once, and even then, it gives me rapid heartbeat, but it helps sooooo much w/the fibro pain. Can't take my Ambien right now due to the constipation risk.

I had a colonscopy before the surgery, and all was fine, so all of this (IBS) has come on, post-surgery; I've read that this often happens. We live in a very noisy apt, so meditation is impossible; moving, I don't even want to contemplate right now.

I think I'm most upset about the fact that I endured the torture of the hemorrhoid surgery because the surgeon said there was this huge chance I'd never have them, again, and here I have them again. Mentally, I am just not handling that well, at all. It's robbed me of my life, and my poor husband, as well. The fibro makes me feel the pain of the hems about what? ten times more than 'normal'? I don't know, but someone without fibro could probably still function fairly well, while it just freaks me out. All my mind does is focus on the pain in my tush, and the failure of the surgery and the year of torture thereafter.

Well, the tranq worked well for me today, so ... if it doesn't contribute to the C problem, I may stay w/that, for awhile. Will think about the pep caps, and for now? go have a mug of pep tea. I'll have to pick up some fennel, to see if that helps with the gas.

Thanks for being there! I get to thinking, sometimes, that I'm the only one whose life has been turned upside-down by IBS.

** cheryl **

#325511 - 02/26/08 01:47 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

you certainly are not alone - and whilst i havent been through what you have 3 years ago i had 3 pregnancys in the space of 6 months - the first two i lost within a few adys of finsing out the thirsd i had to have terminated because of a health issue the day after that happened my fella left me as didnt want commitment then straight after i found out i had cancerous cells on my cervix so had to have them taken out - as u can imagine i suffered postnatel depression from the babies and the hormones flying around everywhere anxiety about the cancer scare etc now 3 years on my anxiety is still through the roof i havent yet gone back to work as im not able my ibs is so bad i lost two stone before xmas now i have put it back on but i dont know how because im not eating properly i still have no answers and the doc sys the same to me or i get "its anxiety" or "its stress and depression related" god how that bugs me he he !! so i do understand to an extent. i suffer from ibs d mainly but do have alternate days now n then. if you can drink peppermint tea you should be ok with capsules although im the same as you i dont like taking much medicine wise - i tend to react to everything from anti biotics to co codamol Relaxation or meditation can be anytime of day so maybe if you get a quiet time in your appartments do half hour - thats all it takes to relax you - although im one to talk as im trying to do that myself right now. Im sorry i cant help more but i just wanted you to know - your not alone !!!

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#325516 - 02/26/08 06:51 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Because I don't seem to have any safe foods. Because the acacia helps w/my C, but I still have terrible cramping and gas. Who wants to eat when you feel like that? So I wait for it to pass, and then I'm just too scared to eat. I suppose that sounds stupid.

Doesn't sound stupid at all. I feel this way. Have lost tons of weight and now am at a dangerously low level. But it's difficult to force yourself to eat when the food treats you like poison.

I don't understand why doctors cannot do more or have more knowledge on how to help alleviate our symptoms. All I get is "there is nothing else I can do...eat what doesn't hurt, don't eat what does.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#325519 - 02/26/08 07:44 AM
Stebbs

Reged: 09/14/07
Loc: Colorado

Hey Hunca,
I also suffer from IBs-D and CFS. Would love to chat.

#325555 - 02/26/08 01:25 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hunca, it sounds like you are really suffering. If your GI says "i don't know what to do with you", have you considered seeing a naturopathic doctor? GIs are so focussed on meds, whereas NDs employ a variety of therapies and really treat the whole person on an individualized basis. Their goal is not to put a bandage over a symptom by prescribing a drug for it, but to find out the source of the problem and heal it.

I am seeing an ND right now. Too soon to say whether it'll be the answer for me, but she's given me a lot of tests that no doctor ever did, and the results showed lots was out of whack for me which we're now addressing with diet changes, supplements and other treatments.

Ya, it's not cheap but to me it finally feels I'm getting somewhere.

I really feel for you - IBS can be hell on earth. I'm sure most of us have had those "I may as well die" thoughts at some stage. You gotta hold on to the conviction that things can get better. Take care.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#325678 - 02/28/08 02:31 AM
Hunca

Doesn't sound stupid at all. I feel this way. Have lost tons of weight and now am at a dangerously low level. But it's difficult to force yourself to eat when the food treats you like poison.

EXACTLY~!! Food causes pain and misery for me, going in and coming out. Why do it at all? I've lost a ton of weight, too, and tho I needed to, I've lost way too fast, and now I have all the unsightly baggy skin.

Do you ever go to bed, hungry? because it's maybe too late to eat, or your innards are just too jumpy to risk it? I go to sleep hungry almost every night of my life. I keep a loaf of sliced french bread by the bed for those times when I just have to cram something into my face, or die of starvation.

Thank you for 'getting' me! I don't feel alone, anymore.

** cheryl **

#325679 - 02/28/08 02:36 AM
Hunca

Thank you, Jen, I really appreciate your post. I am so grateful for everyone here. There are times when I feel that I must be an alien! and just can't eat earth food. I wish someone would invent a drinkable meal that wasn't full of iron (as it constipates)... esp designed for IBS, one formula for C and one for D. Wouldn't that be wonderful?!

I can dream.
hugs,

** cheryl **
IBS-C (for Crazy!)

#325705 - 02/28/08 10:53 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Cheryl--Not eating is one of the worst things we IBSers can do. I know for myself that not eating can make my IBS symptoms even worse. I then not only have the IBS to deal with, but also hunger pains and moodiness/irritability from low blood sugar. I feel so bad that I get afraid to eat. Also, when you get into the habit of not eating, almost anything will seem like an unsafe food. Trust me, there are foods out there that you can tolerate, but you have to stick with them and give them a chance.

You absolutely can eat when your gut is in active rebellion. I do, and I always feel better. Pick a couple of foods to start with, like white rice, clear broth, saltines, etc. Make a commitment to yourself to eat small amounts of food throughout the day no matter how you feel. It usually helps if you drink herbal tea or take Gas-X (simethecone tablets) before or after eating. Gradually, you will feel better and you can begin to add more variety into your diet. Sticking too long to just soluble fiber foods can also make the IBS flare up.

I hope you feel better!

#338495 - 11/24/08 12:10 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I DO fast occasionally to help my IBS calm down and it does wonders. So I think it just depends on th person.
Fasting Is OK....as long as you drink plenty of water (not too cold), and perhaps some herbal tea. Of course only fast for a day or two.

I agree with the other responses to this post. Food seems like an enemy to my body.

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#338539 - 11/25/08 02:14 AM
pumpkin73

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: California

Can you list what it is you do eat, when you're able to? I'm wondering if you could have some undiagnosed food intolerances.

I've been seeing a dietician who told me that a large majority of the IBS patients she sees have one or more intolerances to dairy, wheat and/or eggs. In fact, the first thing she does when she gets a new IBS patient is tell them to IMMEDIATELY STOP eating those three things for a few weeks to see if they feel better. She's amazed at how many people feel much better after doing so. Wheat is one of the top culprits, and it's something that a lot of IBS patients fill up on for the fiber! (And please note, you can have a wheat intolerance without having celiac disease, so a negative celiac test doesn't mean you aren't wheat intolerant.)

I'm not saying food intolerances cause IBS, but a lot of sufferers have them in conjunction with IBS.

Also, probiotics are very important as well. There are several different kinds to choose from. It's really a matter of trial and error until you find one that works best for you. I've been drinking kefir lately and it makes me feel wonderful. Kefir is a cultured milk that has significantly more cultures than yogurt does. And it doesn't make me sick, despite being lactose intolerant.

Not eating is NOT the answer. Even when my symptoms are acting up, I force myself to eat because if I don't the cramps will be significantly worse.

You WILL find what works for you, but it will take time and experimentation. Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-D with gas and cramping; dairy and wheat intolerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 919 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3568

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review