All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kind of an embarassing question, but oh well...
      #325042 - 02/19/08 06:52 PM
CC

Reged: 02/19/08
Loc: Boston, MA

So I am new to this site, although not new to IBS, unfortunately - I have had IBS-D since I was a kid and after years of useless and expensive doctors' visits had pretty much decided I wasn't going to be able to get any help - until about a month ago when I stumbled on this website. This diet has literally changed my life. I cannot remember a day when I did not have stomach pain, and now I have been pain-free since the second day I dropped dairy and coffee! Plus I'm losing weight! It's amazing.

But I do have kind of an odd question, and I figured this was the best place to ask it. Since I started following the high-soluble and low-insoluble fiber diet and avoiding all trigger foods, I have not any diarrhea or cramps at all, and for the first two weeks after I started, every day I was having "normal" bathroom experiences. But in the last week or so I have noticed that I have gone one or sometimes two days in a row without needing to go to the bathroom at all, and then when I do go to the bathroom I'm not passing a lot. I have had no pain and do not feel constipated or uncomfortable at all, but I have NEVER had a day in my life that I can remember where I didn't have to go to the bathroom. Is this constipation? Or is this actually how non-IBS people lead their lives?

You can see that I would not feel comfortable asking random people about their daily bathroom habits, but everybody here seems pretty comfortable, so I thought it was worth an ask (and it might be worth a chuckle).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kind of an embarassing question, but oh well... new
      #325043 - 02/19/08 07:45 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

What's to be embarrassed about friend? It's just poo! LOL

Some people have very normal bowel movements every 2nd or 3rd day, for others it is every day.

I would talk to your Dr about it as it's important to tell your Dr about any sudden change in your bowel habits but I think it could be your body just adjusting.

#325058 - 02/20/08 04:38 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I told my GI when he ask that I had never in my life had a day that I didn't have a BM and usually more than one. When he suggested fiber I quickly told him he was nuts because I didn't need a laxative. Little did I know that fiber is NOT really a laxative. This website, this diet and all of the folks who post have given me what I suppose is a normal life. I too have now found that I will sometimes go two days with no BM and then have a normal one!!! What a real shock. I personally think it is because I am eating "whole" foods without perservatives and fillers and it actually takes less food to fill me up and the body produces less waste. I may be full of it (no pun intended) but that is what I think. At any rate I am one happy person.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#325079 - 02/20/08 09:09 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

No need to be embarrassed here! You wouldn't believe some of the things we've talked about on these boards!

You are only constipated if you feel like you need to "go", but can't. It's a very uncomfortable, and even painful, feeling. If you are going every two days, but don't feel like you need to be going more, then you aren't constipated.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 830

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review