All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm soooo much better! But my nerves are getting to me - advice?
      #324992 - 02/18/08 08:02 PM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

Thank god for this site! I recently switched from Metamucil to an appropriate generic fiber supplement and I'm soooo much better. However, I still have a bit further to go.

The Metamucil was making me sick. For the 3 weeks I took it, it made me terribly gassy in the morning. It was such a problem that I rarely made it to work without a pit stop to find a bathroom. I thought I was getting sicker when I was really making myself sick with the incorrect fiber supplement. Now my stomach is more solid than ever but I still get nervous going to work. So much so, that its still causing me a bit of trouble. I fear having an episode and it brings one on. Its no longer nearly as bad but its still happening. I know that to some degree its a mental issue that I don't know how to get a grip on. I try to keep a positive outlook but it seems that my body has other ideas.

Has anyone else been through this? What has helped?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm soooo much better! But my nerves are getting to me - advice? new
      #324996 - 02/19/08 12:02 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

I go exactly through that. For me, Praying helps, aswell as listening to music to distract myself on a ride to an appointment etc...

Hopefully you can try and relax now that you know you're on a better supplement. It does have that mind/gut reaction I know and it is hard.

#325001 - 02/19/08 08:26 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Lots of folks find the hypnosis CDs really helpful for this. I haven't tried them yet, I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need a hypnotist to tell me to relax - I should be able to do it on my own! (Ask me again in a few months how that's going! )

Sometimes it really is a mind over matter sort of deal. I know it doesn't always work - once it has started it's nearly always too late. But if I start to get that anxious tummy feeling, I try to tell myself that there is no need to be nervous, and I say, "I control how I feel, how I feel does not control me". It seems to work most of the time.

I also try to tell myself that things could be worse. I used to get anxious when driving to work in the morning. One time I turned around and came home - even though I was about halfway there and it would have taken me just as much time to continue on to work. I felt so silly. Then one day we got badly snowed in and my husband decided we should take the skytrain. Excuse me?? I almost stayed home, but I thought, "I CAN'T let this defeat me all the time". So I fought through the nervous tummy and I made it to work. Now, when I drive, I think to myself, "at least I'm not stuck on the skytrain - at least I can turn around and come home if I need to, at least I can stop and find a bathroom if necessary". Driving to work has been much better since then.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325017 - 02/19/08 12:16 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

My morning IBS attacks is what finally sent me to the doctor. It took me about one month to get my morning bathroom frenzy under control and I began to feel better almost immediately after getting the acacia and getting on the det. One thing I did do was start leaving for work earlier so that would not be caught in heavy traffic. My nervousness was a problem too at first, but as I began to experience more normal bowel control and less gas then I began to get more confidence in my ability to make the 30 to 45 minute commute without problems. All I can tell you is that you are not alone and I can truly sympathize!!!! Hang in there. It will get better.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#325044 - 02/19/08 08:43 PM
rasputin

Reged: 02/15/08

Thanks for all the support. Its nice to hear that other people go through this.

I think part of my problem is that my stomach isn't quite stabilized yet. I have days where I'm absolutely perfect but I also have moments where I'm having the same old problem - but not as severe.

I think I need a few good morning commutes under my belt and I'll start to feel better.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 628 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review