All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wedding weekend rant!
      #324920 - 02/18/08 07:02 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Ok so I was in a wedding this weekend and knew I was going to have problems. It all started with the rehersal dinner, we went to Macaroni Grill. The food choices were either some sort of fried fish, pasta with cream sauce or chicken parm. I got the pasta with no sauce, but about 10 minutes before dinner started I had an attack!! Dinner was really late cause the rehersal was so late, so we got a snack before hand and I had a baked potato from Wendys... it has never bothered me before! So needless to say I didnt eat at Macaroni Grill, I ordered to be nice and let it sit there.
Then Saturday, the day of the wedding. I ate a 6 inch plain turkey sub from subway after we all got our hair done cause we knew we wouldnt eat until late. During the ceremony my tummy started to do some stuff so standing there with the other bridesmaids, I just prayed and begged for it to please pass. I made it through. The reception came and dinner was served... ok... chicken cordon blu, roast beef, buttered potatos, buttered veggies, some sort of pasta with of course butter, salad and rolls. I ate a few rolls. I made it through the reception and I kid you not, the second we started to leave my stomach started cramping. I made it to the hotel (with all the drunk people) and barely made it to the bathroom! Now pretty much the whole weekend didnt eat. Friday-wendys baked potato.. still had an attack. Saturday- 6in. sub with turkey/mustard and plain rolls-still had an attack. Sunday morning I had an attack too! I mean I dont eat and I still have attacks! Sunday the day after the wedding, we went to breakfast and I got plain white toast. Then went home and about 9 hours later I had an attack-while my husband and I were out on our way to my moms for dinner! Now I didnt want to eat but she made me plain potatos and grilled chicken with very cooked carrots. So I ate.. and actually felt better. So now IBS is just leaving me even more confused. I dont eat I get attacks, how does that make sense?! Thanks guys for listening to my rant. Hope everyone is having a good tummy day!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wedding weekend rant! new
      #324922 - 02/18/08 07:21 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Stef,

Sorry you had such a rough weekend. Unfortunately, when you don't eat you are just as likely to have attacks. And, it sounds like you were probably stressed about this wedding too - the rehearsal meal and the wedding meal were both not to your diet and that may have worried you, even subconsciously. I have to eat. If I don't I'm a miserable wreck - just ask my husband- and I have attacks and get super bi%^&y. I'm not a nice person to be around. Always carry something with you. I do - peppermint tea bags and a SF snack - everywhere I go. I pack Luna bars, pretzels, fat free Pringles, saltines, graham crackers, whatever I feel like that day and tuck it in my purse. I nibble at work to keep the empty feeling away. And I don't have attacks.

I hope you're feeling better today!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#324923 - 02/18/08 07:31 AM
steffiejoy

Thank you Toady! Youve really helped me out lately. It just has been so confusing and bad lately. Between those headaches and now non-stop attacks. I'm good so far today. And this weekend, I really didnt eat. I didnt expect the wedding and rehersal food to be ok for my diet, I just thought that if I didnt eat, I would be ok. I guess that was kindof stupid thinking.

What kind of Luna bars do you eat? I've seen that other people eat those too. Thanks again for you help.

Stef

#324926 - 02/18/08 07:57 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm sorry you had such a miserable weekend!

I do the same as Toady. I even take my own oatmeal when I travel! Some of my other travel foods include apple sauce cups, carrot sticks, select 100 calorie packs (grahm crackers and Lorna Doones usually), and Luna bars.

My favorite Luna bars are the Smores, Berry Almond, Cranberry & Nut. The new chocolatey one is really good too, but I can't remember the name offhand.

#324928 - 02/18/08 08:11 AM
steffiejoy

Thanks Snorkie. Thats a good idea to pack travel foods. I like baked lays so maybe I should use that. Do the chocolate Luna Bars have real chocolate in it? The smore one sounds really good!

Stef

#324932 - 02/18/08 08:28 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Sorry you had such a horrible weekend! I've been a bridesmaid four times and luckily I've been okay. I remember the morning of the third time though I had a mild attack, but fortunately it passed by the time we had to leave to go to the church! The worst though was the morning of my OWN wedding. I wasn't nervous – not at all – but apparently my insides WERE. I was eating breakfast with my mom and my two bridesmaids, and I had to get up and go to the bathroom at least 3 times!!! I started to panic. I was nearly in tears – not today, of ALL days, NOT my wedding day!!!! Fortunately by the time we left to get our hair done, things started to calm down. Thank GOD.

But yes, you should definitely carry around your own food. I love the Nut and Cranberry Luna bars – I find the S'mores one too sweet, but that's just me! I also carry a peppermint tea bag in my purse at all times. Having an empty stomach can send your colon into spasms too – the problem with D is that it doesn't necessarily require a lot of food, since it's mostly liquid. The MORE soluble fiber you eat, the bulkier it should be. The less you eat, the more liquid it will be. And don't think not drinking any liquids will help – if your body wants to have D, it will just suck the moisture out of your body in other ways and you'll just end up being sick AND dehydrated!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324938 - 02/18/08 09:11 AM
steffiejoy

Thanks for the info Erilyn! I was pretty stressed this weekend too which didnt help. This wedding has been interesting to say the least. I am going to have to try those Luna bars...nothing is too sweet for me as I craaave sweets but due to the IBS completely deprieve myself of anything sweet. Can we eat nuts and cranberries? I wasnt sure. Thanks again!
Stef

#324944 - 02/18/08 10:14 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Nuts in small amounts (because of high fat content) are okay, and they actually contain a lot of SF in addition to IF. Cranberries seem to be one of the most tolerated fruits/berries for IBSers - I read that somewhere on this site but don't ask me where!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324948 - 02/18/08 12:10 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Steffie, sorry you had such a bad weekend! I was actually also in a wedding and also had an attack! "Our" wedding was on Friday, I ate really well except some m&m's on Thursday night which I think triggered it. I started feeling bad about 2 hours before the wedding and I was in so much pain during! At the wedding dinner I ate some plain shrimp and a little bit of cantaloupe, one strawberry and 4 baby carrots. Otherwise everything was unsafe to eat. The weekend was just full of flying, driving, eating at the airport or on the go so I brought rice cakes, bananas, granola bars and ate my own food. so that way I was kind of able to calm the attack down a bit, although I'm still not back to normal (but feeling much better). I'm sorry it happened to you as I know how you felt .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324951 - 02/18/08 12:54 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

I discovered Luna bars when i was on vacation in Florida. They are yummy! They are all non-dairy, wheat free and organic. Check out luna bars for nutritional information and discover the different flavours

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review