All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Need to rant
      #324564 - 02/12/08 11:57 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

IBS sucks! I feel like i'll never be stable and never be able to go to the toilet regularly again. It's so annoying. Plus, there's far too much dietary advice out there on how to manage IBS i don't know which way to turn. Who's right and who isn't? How do you know whose answers to trust and who's answers to reject?

Sorry, rant over. Thanks for putting up with me.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to rant new
      #324566 - 02/12/08 12:00 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I know how you feel Sarah. I need to get these rants out sometimes too. I know there are far worse diseases to have, but this is still no walk in the park. Sometimes you just need to get it off your chest...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324567 - 02/12/08 12:01 PM
welshsarah

Thanks Erilyn, you have no idea how much i appreciate your response. It just gets so frustrating y'know. Especially when i think back to a time when i didn't have to give a second thought to what i eat and now i seem to think about it all the time.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324577 - 02/12/08 12:21 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Sorry Sarah ! You're right, IBS sucks and I also wonder whether I'll ever be able to eat whatever I want! I have friends who are trying to lose weight and I'm so jealous of their diets, because if they cheat the only punishment is a few oz of weight gain but no pain or C or bloat . But that's why we have each other here, when someone has a bad day the rest of the board members are here for emotional support

I also think of days when I didn't have to worry about anything I put into my mouth and I was fine. Oh well. But we will get to the point where we'll have our diets figured out and will be mostly symptom free! We've gotta believe and keep going!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324579 - 02/12/08 12:24 PM
welshsarah

Thanks Zara. Sometimes i don't know what i would do without the support and encouragement of those on this site. It gives me the courage to persevere

How did your test go last Thurs? When are you getting the results?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324583 - 02/12/08 12:33 PM
Zara

I have a follow-up appointment on the 20th but I'm pretty sure they didn't find anything, that's how it always is. Judging by the tests I'm the healthiest person on the planet. Too bad I just don't feel that way. So that's why I believe that diet is the only way for me. I get the tests done for the peace of mind (and I am a little hopeful that something easy and curable would be found) but I really think it's the diet. Right now, my brain is going like "wheat and dairy, wheat and dairy..." so I have to gather up all my strength to stick to the diet and see if that's what it really is. I keep re-reading those ideas from K2 and that's basically what she's done and it sounded like it worked for her. That's a huge encouragement for me. Whenever I properly tried elimination in the past (if I don't count those two weeks before Xmas because that wasn't long enough) I always did wheat OR dairy but never together. So I think that's what's next on my agenda. Now I just have to figure out how to make myself stick to it .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324585 - 02/12/08 12:46 PM
welshsarah

Sounds the same as me. Wheat and dairy free does sound like the winning formula- i just don't have the will power to stick to it for any length of time. Nor do i have the creativity to work with limited options. I over complicate things in my mind because i keep stressing about gaining weight which doesn't help my IBS nor my diet! I wish i could be more black and white sometimes and not worry about stupid weight issues and just focus on stabilising my IBS.

How can we help each other try the K2/no wheat and dairy diet? Are you cutting out oats aswell?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: What is K2? new
      #324593 - 02/12/08 02:05 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Just wondering what K2 is?

There was actually a point in my life where I cut out wheat, sugar, and most dairy (all but cheese), and it actually did help my IBS for the most part. It virtually cured my bloating and gas (seriously!), and helped quite a bit with the D. It did, however, make the C a little worse, but I wasn't taking fiber supplements at the time. This diet was the Atkins Diet - the one diet Heather says is the worst thing for us IBSers. I've been toying with the idea of trying an IBS-adjusted version of Atkins - something wheat, sugar, and dairy-free, but low-fat and still allowing rice. I dunno though... I'll try this a little longer.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: Sarah and Erilyn new
      #324599 - 02/12/08 02:40 PM
Zara

Sarah, no, I'm not cutting our oat, not yet anyway. I'm not as strict as K2 as I'm still eating other grains - rice, corn flour tortillas, etc. I can't give up everything at once . It might be my next step if needed, though.
I think it would be good for us to write all improvements we get. That might be also encouraging to other people here. I'm not good at keeping a food log since I feel that it only makes me stress over what I eat. But I can share food ideas, etc. For example, today I had oatmeal, burritos made with corn flour tortillas, beans, rice, salsa, a banana, applesauce, rice crackers, soy cheese, and I'm making grilled salmon with baked potatoes for dinner.

Erilyn, the question isn't what is K2 but who is K2 . She's a member of these boards and she seems to be pretty succesful with the EFI diet with her own little tweaks. She sent us some basic ideas on how she managed to fine tune the EFI diet. If you want, give me your email and I can forward it to you. I don't think K2 would mind since she sent it to a bunch of people.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Sarah and Erilyn new
      #324646 - 02/13/08 10:04 AM
welshsarah

Hey, yeah that sounds like a good idea. I've seen some improvement in the last few days. I haven't been as constipated even though i've been eating dairy (i just can't resist chocolate!!!). The only thing that has changed with my diet is that i've cut out gluten completely- not even eating oats. We'll see if this continues...! I haven't been focussing on the SF/IF balance either. I've just been trying to eat more fruit and veg and zero gluten.

I'm rubbish at keeping a diary- it'd make me stress too and become even more concerned about food!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3024 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4206

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review