All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint Capsules
      #324313 - 02/07/08 06:45 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I just tried the peppermint capsules for the 1st time. I swallowed it with a small amount of cool water as instructed. I now have a cool feeling up my throat into my mouth, like I can taste the peppermint. Is this to be expected?

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint Capsules new
      #324331 - 02/08/08 09:08 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

I get that reaction too sometimes and it's harmless. If you take it on an empty stomach with very little water the feeling should subside. I always notice the "cool" sensation if I eat about 20-30 minutes after taking the caps or have a lot to drink after taking the caps. As long as it doesn't cause heartburn I actually like the sensation!

#324332 - 02/08/08 09:10 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I think it just means the enteric coating dissovled before reaching your intestine. It's not technically supposed to happen, but it does. When I was trying the peppermint caps, it happened to me about 50% of the time. I discontinued them after a couple of weeks though because they made me feel funny - they made my insides feel like they were disconnected from my body - almost numb. It was the EXACT same feeling I got from the antispasmodic the dr prescribed to me back when I was first diagnosed with IBS. It actually made my anxiety worse so I stopped taking those, too.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324357 - 02/08/08 02:38 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I agree with tovabela, I like the mint sensation, too! I feel like I've been eating mints, lol ! It shouldn't be uncomfortable, though. If the caps give you heartburn I would probably discontinue them.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324399 - 02/09/08 03:18 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

The whole point of enteric coated tabs is that they DON'T repeat on you. If they do, they are faulty. Ask for a refund or replacement.

I get heartburn.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1311

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review