All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Safe Restaurants
      #324274 - 02/07/08 09:57 AM
Stebbs

Reged: 09/14/07
Loc: Colorado

I was wondering if anyone has found any safe restaurants to eat at? I know Heather mentions a few. Any others and what do you order?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe Restaurants new
      #324277 - 02/07/08 10:32 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can usually get by with a grilled chicken sandwich just about anywhere, so long as it's not on a whole wheat bun.

Chili's has a couple safe things for me off their "Guiltless Grill" selections like salmon and grilled chicken. Just don't eat the veggies.

At Baker's Square, there's the turkey sandwich and/or chicken noodle soup. You can also get carrots and rice pilaf with their dinner entrees like the dijon chicken.

Can you name some restaurants you like? That might help us narrow down some specific choices for you.

#324281 - 02/07/08 10:39 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I have only eaten out once since starting this diet, and it was at a pub of all places! I ordered a grilled chicken burger and asked them to hold the cheese. I asked for a salad instead of fries and didn't even eat it anyway because the burger was so filling.

I am in Canada and while we do share many of the same restaurants as the US, we do have some different ones. I am going out to a restaurant called Milestones with my hubby for Valentines Day next week and I've already looked at their menu online and planned what I am going to have. They have this seafood mixed grill that includes prawns and scallops grilled on skewers and marinated with a citrus glaze (I am fructose sensitive but that small amount shouldn't bother me). It is served with jasmine rice and seasonal veggies (which I probably just won't eat).

It really does help to look up menus online and plan your meal before you go. That way you aren't sitting in the restaurant with a waiter hovering around you waiting for you to find something acceptable to eat. Look for words like "grilled", and stay away from terms like "crispy" (usually equals deep-fried), "creamy", and even "stir-fried" (usually equals lots of oil). And you can always ask them to hold any oily sauces or marinades, cheese, etc. And wherever you go, divide the food on your plate in half and commit yourself to taking the other half home so you don't overeat!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324282 - 02/07/08 10:40 AM
Stebbs

Reged: 09/14/07
Loc: Colorado

I like so many places that I haven't been in forever. Chilis, Olive Garden, Red Lobster. Really any of your major chain restaurants.

#324284 - 02/07/08 10:45 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Unfortunately, SOME places won't really have any safe alternatives. I think Olive Garden is one of these places. I love the place but I looked at their menu not long after starting the diet and was bitterly disappointed. Everything had cheese, oil, cream, or something forbidden in it. There may have been a salmon or other seafood dish that sounded okay, but I can't remember now. Of course, the hardest part about going out to eat would be watching everyone around you eating to their heart's content whatever the heck they want. I seriously hope that healthy people understand just how fortunate they are... Being so severely restricted really does take a lot of fun out of going out.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324287 - 02/07/08 11:38 AM

Unregistered

Subway and Panera are my safest choices. BUT! A girl I work with also works part-time at Friday's and she suggested the Chicken Bruschetta Pasta - you can ask to have the chicken grilled with no butter and no oil. I guess it's served on a "bed" of pasta with the bruschetta - I haven't tried it yet but am going to make my own version for dinner this weekend! With that in mind, I think you could eat at Olive Garden and ask for something similar - grilled chicken over pasta, that should be safe, just tell them no oil or butter!

#324295 - 02/07/08 12:56 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

i eat grilled chicken sandwiches at places like ruby tuesdays, chili's , fridays, i pretty much customize my order, no cheese, no sauce, just the grilled chicken on the bun with a bit of greens. i LOVE LOVE LOVE Chipotle mexican grill. you can customize your burrito there. i get chicken in a flour burrito with fresh tomato salsa and white lime rice and guacamole.mmm..... hold the cheese and sour cream and you're fine at chipotle. it's delicious. best guacamole ever! panera bread is ok. i eat at subway a lot too. i messed up today, in fact , at panera bread. i ordered chicken tomesto sandwich, sundried tomatoes, grilled chicken. i forgot to ask for no sauce. it had some kind of tomato spicy sauce on the bread. i scraped it off, but have been full of gas today. i'm so mad at myself. i should know better! anyway, from here on out it's NO SAUCE for me!

katharine

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

#324296 - 02/07/08 01:02 PM
crazylizardlady

oh Maggiano's stinks for ibs people! there is nothing healthy on the menu. they stink. i was there for a baby shower and i ended up eating just the bread and tea. it stunk. they had all kinds of creamy pasta dishes with fatty , creamy sauces, like pink vodka sauce, alfredo, primavera sauce. all the appetizers were fried, fried zuchini, fried mozzerella, fried calamari.... it was aweful. it's your little italian grandma italian comfort food, fattening dishes like lazagne stuffed shells, ravioli, fried everything. don't even bother going there.
katharine

--------------------

#324301 - 02/07/08 01:59 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yeah, Italian-type places are difficult. I did safely eat at Olive Garden recently, but I cannot for the life of me remember what I ordered. I will say I wouldn't have dared eat there two years ago, though.

Oh, I've had fajitas a couple of places relatively safely before, too. Chili's was one of them. I think the other place was local.

The only place I've had a really hard time finding anything was Granite City Brewery for lunch. They had some safe dinner choices, but a lighter meal was tough.

Overall, don't be afraid to say hold the cheese or whatever or ask if you can have a different sort of bread.

#324306 - 02/07/08 04:55 PM
crazylizardlady

yeah, i do well with chili's fajitas too. if you get them at friday's ask for the rice on the side. they bring it in the sizzling fajita pan with the onions and peppers. it looked really oily to me. so, i didn't eat it. next time, i will ask for steamed rice on the side.

katharine

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review