All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Not a good night...where do you get pain?
      #323730 - 02/01/08 12:46 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

The thing is...I get my pain above the bellybutton usually. When Heather mentions "lower abdominal pain" do you mean along where the pelvis is or where I get my pain, which is mostly above the belly button area.

I have CFS and had to eat last night but had 0 energy to cook. Someone picked up some dinner, they were having battered fish and chips so I opted for what I thought was the healthier option, a big mac, small fries and coke. Usually I don't get REALLY sick from that but I had a piece of cheesecake.

Well I woke up with the WORST cramps that made me nauseous. As usual stools were soft but not completely runny. I had a gastro stop(immodium) and some peppermint tea. Seems to be settling a bit.

Does this make me IBS D or IBS A or C or what because while it sometimes turns to water more often than not it is bad cramping, nausea, sense of urgency that is relieved by BM that are soft.

And do you get the majority of pain where I do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not a good night...where do you get pain? new
      #323739 - 02/01/08 01:16 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow, I'm suprised that a meal like that (minus the cheesecake) usually gives you no problems. A meal like that would honestly kill me. I checked on the website (it's Friday, I'm bored) - a big mac, small fries and small coke has 920 cals and 40 g of fat, 13 g of it saturated. Not to mention all the junk they use at Mickey Dees - I know lots of healthy people who find it gives them stomach problems.

Anyway, I don't mean to kick you while you are down. We all slip up from time to time. And you are the best judge of what you can tolerate.

As to your question re: the location of IBS pain, my understanding is that it can occur anywhere along the colon - and the transverse colon definitely runs horizontally above the navel.

Hope you feel better soon

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#323740 - 02/01/08 01:21 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I get my pain in the lower abdominal area, it feels very similar to having bad menstrual cramps.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323741 - 02/01/08 01:40 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I get them across my lower abdomen, below the belly button and pretty much everywhere from left to right. Sometimes it spasms so bad I literally can't draw in a breath, and I have to clutch onto something and bend over until it passes. This often happens before I have D, and on occasion even before a very normal BM. I'd be curious to know what labour feels like – it can't be much worse! When I'm C, it's different – I tend to get a dull ache on the lower left side. All of this pain though has lessened since I started this diet.

The other pain I get is related far more to anxiety. I often have a "butterflies in the stomach" feeling that I guess isn't really pain, per se, but it's still troublesome. Sometimes I get it for seemingly no reason - even if I'm not outwardly stressed. The diet has failed to do anything about this, unfortunately.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323742 - 02/01/08 01:40 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Thanks guys.
Yeh if I am lucky I can get away with the odd Big Mac but then again, it may just be I don't notice it until the next day.

Well a harsh lesson has been learnt, and I guess sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way.

I am in Australia, but I have no idea what the calories count of a Big Mac here is. It's all crap at Maccas I suppose.

And yeh-bad menstrual cramping always sets off IBS aswell for me not only along that pelvic line but also up the top near the belly button top-side. And sometimes it just aches with bloat/wind.
Apparently rubbing your tummy in a circular motion is meant to help move things along and get rid of trapped air etc...

#323751 - 02/01/08 02:24 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

lower and mid abdomen, usually at night if i had something with dairy or something too oily.

i've found that you need to relax as much as possible when it happens. i usually roll out of my bed and get myself into the bathroom. the other night i felt so much pain i was going to pass out, so i layed down face down on the cold bathroom tiles (felt good!) and crouched down and raised my butt in the air. I was able to get rid of some of the gas and the pain started to subside. The cold tiles helped me not pass out. what fun.
katharine

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review