All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
oh those poor ignorant masses!
      #323512 - 01/29/08 04:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Obviously a lot of people now a days have digestive problems because so many products are coming out with claims to help digestion. I absolutely abhor the cultured yogurt and cheese as I have mentioned. It makes my blood boil to think of idiot people eating cheese with cultures thinking it will help them go! Stop eating cheese!
Today I saw a new terrible product that will fool poor people into making their digestion worse. It is a digestive type of Kashi cereal. It has probiotics in it (good) and 12 grams of fiber- 11 grams are insoluble! And the first ingredient is wheat bran then several other kinds of whole wheat. It makes me want to stand there and tell people not to buy it or stick an article about fiber in next to it. I get so upset about people's ignorance of soluble and insoluble fiber. The only good thing lately is that there is one commercial that says there is SF and IF and that IF might be hard for you to digest. Has anyone seen this? I was pretty excited and I hope more info comes out like this for the many people who obviously need digestive help!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: oh those poor ignorant masses! new
      #323546 - 01/30/08 08:36 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I think this whole probiotic rage is ridiculous too. it's like it's become this new fad. I heard the other day that some lady in California is suing the makers of Activia yogurt because it didn't help her digestion. Her lawyer was talking to various medical professionals who all say that it is NOT proven at all that probiotics in food help with digestion. Of course Activia is trying to fight it because their sales are through the roof on this stuff.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323575 - 01/30/08 04:34 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Here here!!

There are sooo many people who would benefit just from listening and following some of our IBS diet tips!! My mum's bf has high cholesterol - I told him if he watched fats and intake like I do he would never have a problem. His reply is he would starve to death. Ha - I haven't yet and I'm 16 years post IBS diagnosis.

You're absolutely right though Minnie - people are always out there looking for the quick fix. And its not necessarily the right fix.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#323576 - 01/30/08 04:35 PM
Little Minnie

I went to my GI doc today and I made a little complaint about people eating the cheese with cultures and he said 'welcome to my life'. It sounds like he has to deal with telling people not to eat dairy no matter what is put in it. He definitely recommends probiotics by themselves.
I even saw probiotics for pets the other day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Not likely to win new
      #323720 - 02/01/08 11:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

She is not likely to win. There is clinical evidence reporting that Activia can aid with digestion. I believe this is a requirement in some countries before a product can be called a probiotic or prebiotic. Here is an abstract from a study on Activia reported in a German scientic journal

Quote:

Abstract: Patients with slight digestive disorders benefit from daily consumption of the functional yogurt Activia (R), which contains the specific probiotic strain Bifidobacterium animalis DN-173 010. This was confirmed by a practice observation initiated by Danone GmbH Germany. In the course of this surveillance 4.600 patients consumed one serving (a 115 g) of Activia (R) daily during a test period of 14 days. The effect of Activia (R) consumption was evaluated by the patients via a self-assessed questionnaire. 73.4% of the patients confirmed that their digestive complaints improved slightly to clearly due to the consumption of Activia (R). In general digestive complaints occurred perceptively less during the 2-week consumption of Activial (number of patients professing to have no complaints increased from 2.2% to 45.0%). Moreover 17.1% of the participating patients reported an increase in defecation frequency. These results confirm previous results from numerous clinical trials, which have shown that Activial significantly shortens the intestinal transit time, thus assisting natural digestive regulation.

Reference
2007: Outcomes of a practice observation of patients consuming the functional yogurt Activia. Ernahrungs-Umschau, 54, 12.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#323774 - 02/01/08 04:03 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I understand how you feel but Insoluble fiber is the only fiber that helps me have a BM. Seriously! I've been trying Heather's diet for a year and figured out that the more fruits/veggies/wheat I eat, the less problems I have. Lately I have no problems at all and I have a nice BM every day! But eating cheese to help dygestion-no way. How dumb!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

but the commercial new
      #323806 - 02/02/08 10:23 AM
Little Minnie

guarantees a persons digestion to be regulated in 2 weeks. So if I believed that and it didn't do it I would contact the company. The guarantee of course just means you get the yogurt for free.
There is a great new ad for probiotics in a health magazine that shows a woman with a whole heap of yogurt in her arms and it says 'you have to eat a lot of yogurt to get the probiotics in our product' or whatever. People need to know that probiotics can be taken by themselves.

--------------------

remember soluble fiber new
      #323807 - 02/02/08 10:25 AM
Little Minnie

is what is in the fiber 'laxatives' that are sold. People don't realize that. You need SF and IF to aid digestion.

--------------------

Re: but the commercial new
      #323822 - 02/02/08 02:34 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Indeed giving away a little bit of yogurt to encourage a large number of consumers to try the product is good marketing

I agree consumers should know that they can take probiotics by themselves. However, they should also know that very few probiotics have been shown to have clinical effects on digestive disorders like IBS, IBD, etc. Many probiotics contain a large variety of bacteria in large numbers that have not been shown to have a clinical effect on digestive disorders.

The bacteria in Activia, Bifidobacterium, is one of the few bacteria that have been shown to have a clinical effect on some digestive disorders, in particular, IBS.

Getting more probiotic with more kinds of bacteria may not be as important as getting enough of the right kind of bacteria.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1849

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review