All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bloating
      #322963 - 01/22/08 04:03 PM
KTKat

Reged: 01/22/08

Hi guys - I'm new here and have just ordered heather's books and acacia fibre. I was wondering whether someone could answer a question for me?

I'm not sure whether what I have is IBS as I don't have pain or diarrhoea but I'm severely bloated - like I'm pregnant - all of the time, and also have bad constipation. I haven't always been bloated (although the constipation's been there for years) but I think it may have started when i went through an ill-advised phase of eating raw kale smoothies. Maybe I irritated things?

Does anyone have any advice? Not sure whether the acacia and the dietary guidelines would fit me and I'd love someone's opinion as there's so much info to take in...

Thanks

Katie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating new
      #322965 - 01/22/08 04:16 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi and welcome! I just wanted to let you know that constipation is also a symptom of IBS, not just diarrhea. Have you seen a doctor? You should have tests done to rule out anything else before being diagnosed with IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323036 - 01/23/08 02:00 PM
KTKat

Thanks, Zara. Yes, I did see a doctor - I think they did a couple of tests, which came out negative, and from then on they were pretty unhelpful! So should I just follow heather's advice for general ibs and take the acacia - have people with bloating only, and some constipation, had success with this?

Thanks again

#323040 - 01/23/08 03:10 PM
Zara

Heather's diet is a great place to start. It will give you a very good idea about food triggers and hopefully your system will calm down soon. Unfortunately, with IBS there is no one-diet-fits-all. What may bother someone might be perfectly fine for someone else, and vice versa. Treat the trigger list as a very good general guideline but it's only up to you to decide if you can't tolerate something else. For example, according to this diet it's perfectly fine to eat storebought baked potato chips but they really cause a lot of distress to my system!
As for fiber - fiber is definitely good for IBS. Some fibers are better then others. Metamucil (psyllim husk) can cause a lot of bloating which we definitely don't need. Benefiber, Citrucel, and Acacia are much better tolerated. I've actually never tried acacia but I did just order it a couple days ago so hopefully soon enough I'll be able to report on it. Some people swear by it and some say it's caused them bloating. So, like I said before, you're the only one to know what does/doesn't bother your system. Unfortunately there's no other way than playing your own guinea pig.
Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to identify at least some of your triggers soon .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323060 - 01/23/08 08:43 PM
Viajero98

Reged: 11/29/07

Bloating is one of my main symptoms and I've had a lot of success with the fennel tea that you can buy in bulk on this website. There are times I'll feel huge and then I drink a cup or two and can almost feel my stomach coming back to normal. Hope that helps!

#323077 - 01/24/08 06:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

are you using bags or loose? And how much do you drink a day?

It amazes me how acacia can help bloat for some. Unfortunately, not for me.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#323121 - 01/24/08 02:49 PM
KTKat

Thanks so much for the help, guys. Well, I'll definitely start with heather's diet and the fennel tea and take it from there. Still waiting for the book to arrive and will start as soon as it's here. Thanks again

Zara new
      #326011 - 03/04/08 11:15 AM
Jordy

How's the Acacia working for you?? What dose are you on by now?

BTW, are you still GF or taking a probiotic? Miss ya!

--------------------

Re: Zara-bump-nt new
      #326166 - 03/06/08 06:23 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Zara-bump-nt new
      #326190 - 03/06/08 09:18 AM
Zara

Hi Jordy, sorry, I haven't been on the boards for a while. I'm doing ok with the acacia, I'm on 2t per day (1 in the morning and 1 at night). I defintiely don't feel worse, I have seen some improvement but I think that was mainly because of the diet. I'm still GF and EFI. I was doing pretty well up until today when I got bloated and cramps. I have no idea why I got sick today but I guess that's the "beauty" of IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review