All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hi i'm a newbie
      #322864 - 01/21/08 01:15 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Hi I'm new to this website, the IBS diet and hypno CDs although i have been diagnosed with IBS-D for 14 years. I've tried this diet and the hypno CD's for a week and although i didn't expect an instant improvement I didn't expect to be worse. Did anyone else have teething problems in the beginning which became better later on? Please help as i'm so fed up of being sick all my life Grateful for any advice / encouragement

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi i'm a newbie new
      #322867 - 01/21/08 01:31 PM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I am so sorry to hear it! What do you mean by teething problems?

#322871 - 01/21/08 01:55 PM
Kimberley321

Sorry "teething problems" must be an English phrase! What i meant was, did anyone else have problems starting out on the new diet but got better later on? For example I am running to the bathroom more after 5 days on safe foods and was wondering if anyone else felt worse to begin with but are ok now?

#322874 - 01/21/08 02:08 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi there! Well, on about day 2 of the diet I had a horrible D attack – I blamed the food and almost quit right then and there. I even posted in frustration on this board that the diet wasn't working for me. Then everyone brought my head out of the clouds and explained that the diet may take weeks, or even months, to stabilize me - not days (or hours, as it seemed I was expecting!) But yes, at first it did almost seem a little bit worse, but then it started getting better. Now I seem to be on a 10-day cycle (I even posted about it today). I go about a week and a half feeling pretty good and then I have an attack. If this keeps up, I won't be happy but at least it'll be predictable...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322877 - 01/21/08 02:24 PM
Kimberley321

Thank you Erilyn,

While i wasn't expecting results in the first day, i was expecting results in the first week! I've been blaming the mango for my recent symptoms but then I've been so desparate to identify a cause i've blamed my D on bizarre things like toothpaste and even accused family members of secretly putting dairy in my food! I couldn't work out why one day food would be fine and the next day cause horiffic symptoms. Your story helps a lot and i will continue with the diet. Maybe it's because i've got such a limited diet at the moment new foods are a shock to the system? I'm glad you've started to feel a bit better.

#322878 - 01/21/08 02:36 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Sorry I can't help you with D issues as I'm a C but I just wanted to say hi and !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322879 - 01/21/08 02:47 PM
Kimberley321

Thank you While i wouldn't wish IBS on anyone i am thankful i have found this website and now know i'm not alone. For years i have been too embarassed to tell anyone except my doctor and close family about my symptoms. My boyfriend of 8 years only found out recently when i used his computer to put the hypno CDs onto my ipod and forgot to delete one of them afterwards. For years when pushed for an answer i would just reply "sensitive tummy" or "food intolerance." I'm sure friends and work colleagues figure that I have an eating disorder becasue of all the trips to the bathroom and refusal to attend social meals. Anyway, i just want to say how happy i am to find this site and such nice, understanding people

#322882 - 01/21/08 03:01 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hello and welcome! You might want to check out the hypnotherapy board for discussions on your IBS getting worse during the first week. There's a bit there about "mind-armies":

Quote:

Mind-armies - and shadow fears. This sometimes happens - we hesitate to post this, because it doesnt happen to everyone, and rather not give the idea that it "could" happen. But at times, the subconscious mind fights the new thought patterns, and some initial progress is lost temporarily, and the IBS comes back for a brief time, then finally dissipates and improves again. To the patient, it might seem that the symptoms came back even worse than before. This did happen to me - and it is usually for folks with severe refractory IBS that this is a possibility.

Don't freak - just know that you did feel better before, and you can do it again. After all, you didnt get IBS in just 100 days, so be patient and know that this too shall pass, and continue with the sessions.

Also, you've had IBS for 14 years, so a week on the diet isn't long enough to stabilize yet. This attack could also be due to something other than food -- stress or hormones. It might even be due to the fact that you're changing your diet and that change is enough to trigger an attack. Once you're in the habit of eating safely and in a way that is soothing to your gut, you should notice less IBS reactions to stress. At least, that's been my experience.

Best wishes!

#322885 - 01/21/08 03:16 PM
Kimberley321

Thank you so much, I am still having trouble coming to terms with what a relief it is to find a group of people i don't need to be embarassed of my symptoms around and they understand and want to help! It's so amazing

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 888 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review