All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New Idea - sharing food diaries
      #322729 - 01/19/08 07:08 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Ok, I'm a systems analyst and I can relate almost anything in life to writing/debugging source code... So today I'm sitting here thinking about how strange it is that when it comes to troubleshooting code that I've written, it takes me forever to find my own bugs. But I can find bugs in someone else's code in the blink of an eye. The reason being that I KNOW what I INTENDED to write in my own code so I overlook the obvious. Well being the geek that I am, this got me to thinking about my food diary - I can spend hours looking at it and not see the correlation between foods and symptoms to save my soul. So I have this idea - What if we share our food diaries with each other and see if we can find correlations for each other that we're missing???

Anyone game?

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Idea - sharing food diaries new
      #322759 - 01/20/08 08:11 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I would be willing to try this.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#322776 - 01/20/08 10:49 AM
CJIBSDG

Thanks Jordy, I'll send you a private message with my email address. Then if you'll send me yours we can share out diaries. Do you have MS Excel? If not, I can put mine in a different format.

Thanks so much for agreeing to do this, who knows maybe we'll see something to help each other out.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322789 - 01/20/08 12:36 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I think it would be a great idea to actually set it up as another board here on the website. "Personal Journals" or something. Then we can all just start our own thread, add to it every day, and then other people can read and comment on them as well.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322798 - 01/20/08 01:41 PM
CJIBSDG

I think that's a great idea Erilyn, the only downside is formatting. I keep my diary in an excel spreadsheet with columns for date/time food amount, food, symptoms, meds. But I suppose with a little extra effort we could make it work as a thread. I'll post mine here shortly.

--------------------

Great idea Erylin! new
      #322807 - 01/20/08 04:36 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I also love Erylin's idea. The reason I didn't reply to this thread was because I know I wouldn't be good at keeping track of everything all the time and e-mailing it to someone, which wouldn't be fair to the other person. But I could definitely post it here sometimes.
Plus, that way we would clearly see what everyone ate and gave them problems, thus get ideas for ourselves. I just think that if more poeple would be interested e-mailing back and forth would become too time consuming...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Great idea Erylin! new
      #322813 - 01/20/08 06:21 PM
Jordy

I just assumed we were gonna try this on the fitness board.

--------------------

#322817 - 01/20/08 06:34 PM
CJIBSDG

Ok, so I'm going to try to refresh myself in HTML (it's been a long time since I've written in HTML)...

Jeanette's food and symptom diary
  • DATE
  • AMOUNT
  • FOOD
  • RESULT
  • MEDS

<html>
<body>
<TABLE border="1"
<CAPTION><EM>Jeanette's food and symptom diary</EM>
</CAPTION>
<TR>
<TH>DATE</th>
<TH>AMOUNT</TH>
<TH>FOOD</TH>
<TH>RESULT</TH>
<TH>MEDS</TH>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>1/10/2008</TD>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
<TD>slept 7.5 hours</TD>
<TD>feeling pretty good</TD>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>&nbsp;</TD>
<TD>oatmeal, dry toast, fennel tea</TD>
<TD>feel very good</TD>
<TD>probiotic</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</body>
</html>

Dang, it's not rendering my HTML and I'm just not feeling up to this challenge tonight. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

--------------------

I think I'm changing my mind new
      #322834 - 01/21/08 08:18 AM
Jordy

I am coming to believe that there is no diet to help my IBS. I'm going to focus more on reading the book Sarah recommended and try to free my mind a little from all the food anxiety. This is how I feel today...who knows what tomorrow will bring! But so far, no diet change has helped me. I'm just more anxious...which is not good for IBS.

--------------------

#322859 - 01/21/08 11:29 AM

Unregistered

If you have room for one more, count me in!

Re: I think I'm changing my mind new
      #322866 - 01/21/08 01:30 PM

Unregistered

Jrdy,
I'm going to try to stay away from this site for a while, because part of Dr. Sarno's program is to invalidate the physical (conventional) diagnosis of one's condition. And I find that when I go on this site my mind strays to my stomach & I probably have to start training it away from it. So I'm giving you & anyone on this site my e-mail address on yahoo in case you want to discuss "Mindbody prescription".
suri193@yahoo.com

#322883 - 01/21/08 03:05 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

That would be a good way to get ideas for a variety of meals that are safe for IBSers. However, I feel that Heather has already provided the info and the research (anecdotal and clinical) about the correlation between particular foods and eating habits and worsening of IBS attacks/symptoms. Isn't that what her IF, SF, and triggers list are all about?

Re: I think I'm changing my mind new
      #322902 - 01/21/08 05:12 PM
CJIBSDG

I completely understand Jordy. It's funny that you say this b/c just last night I was thinking that maybe I've been focusing too much on the IBS (therefore letting it take over my entire life). I'm not completely decided yet, but I'm thinking I may need to take a break from everything IBS related (research, posting). I wish you the best with your new book!

--------------------

#323050 - 01/23/08 05:03 PM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

Quote:

I just assumed we were gonna try this on the fitness board.

It was mentioned a new board would be made for this, like The Recipe Exchange only with food diaries.

"The Diary Exchange"

Being new to all this, I was thinking "Not me," but it sounds kinda fun, so I'll have a go at it.

Wednesday 1/23/08
Morning - Cheerios, Soy Milk, 1 Clementine, multi-vitamin.
Afternoon - Nothing (should have had 1 bottle of water)
Evening - Spaghetti with tomato sauce, untoasted white bread (dry), lemonaid
Night - Banana with bottle of water (had pains in my sides immediately after and had to pee), white bread (no butter) with soy milk, 1 Strawberry Jam Uncrustable (main ingredient: Skippy Peanut Butter) with soy milk, will have scrambled egg beaters with (guess what) soy milk.

Edited by Fatso (01/23/08 08:26 PM)

#323059 - 01/23/08 06:55 PM
Erilyn

I've noticed that the fitness board doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic - Shell Marr posts her "checking in" post everyday and it doesn't seem like anyone responds. Maybe we all should start doing it over there? I just thought it would be nice if we could all just keep our own separate threads going... I saw a different message board once that did that and it worked very well.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#323079 - 01/24/08 06:59 AM
Jordy

That's where people used to post their daily food intake.

--------------------

For Fatso new
      #323202 - 01/25/08 10:38 PM
CJIBSDG

I wonder if the banana is what caused your pain? I know that I have trouble with bananas so I thought I'd mention it.

--------------------

#325821 - 02/29/08 10:24 AM
Erilyn

If anyone wants to start keeping a food/symptom/fitness journal, you can come join us on the Fitness Board! I've officially started my journal. Shell Marr liked the idea and has even changed her own check-in method.

--------------------

Join us! new
      #325822 - 02/29/08 10:27 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yepp.... come join us.... web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1074 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3875

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review