All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kind of freaked out! What is wrong with me?
      #322705 - 01/19/08 01:13 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

My IBS has been really touch and go since I started my new job back in October. I am under a lot of stress, but that's really nothing new. Stress is part and parcel of my life due to my like of work I guess.

The thing is, my IBS has become out of control lately and I am eating a safely as possible. No cheating, not taking any new drugs, taking antispasmodics, Lomotil, peppermint caps, tons of mint tea, rice, etc. My IBS simply will not stabilize. The last couple weeks I have been in agonizing pain, almost constant discomfort and tons of D in the morning. It is the worst it has been since right before I started this diet 3 years ago.

Today, I have been running to the bathroom since 7 am (it's now 1 pm) with only liquid D. It's terrible. I am really worried because nothing precipitated this. It's not like I ate a bunch of cheesecake last night or anything. I had white rice. In fact, that is all I have eaten the last couple of days.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kind of freaked out! What is wrong with me? new
      #322718 - 01/19/08 04:50 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Amanda,
Is there a lot of new stress with your new job? I know stress at work was a HUGE factor for me so I quit my high-stress job in November and moved to a much nicer, calmer environment in a different with (with a big pay-cut mind you too). I'm the opposite - I started my new job and my IBS is the best it has been in at least 2.5 years!!!

Best of luck to you - HUGS!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#322736 - 01/19/08 09:08 PM
AmandaM

Yes, my job is pretty stressful. I'm an attorney and my niche of labor/employment law is quite demanding. I anticipate it will get better as time goes on as I've only been there 3 months. Quitting is not a blip on my radar, unfortunately. I worked so long and hard to get where I am and I love what I do. I guess it's going to take some time to get in a good place where I am not as stressed at the job. However, I've been under a lot of stress the last five years of my life since starting law school, graduating, taking the Bar Exam, working, etc and have never experienced IBS this bad. My stress now isn't any worse than it has been before. In fact, perhaps quite better than during periods, say, such as when I was studying for the Bar Exam.

Thanks for your input. Glad your new job is making you happy and more relaxed.

#322740 - 01/19/08 11:19 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

My profession is definitely a high stress one - I'm a systems analyst and IT (Information Technology) is very demanding and competetive. Stress levels and demands vary of course from company to company and I think I've worked the gambit. I don't feel that I can blame my symptoms on stress b/c while working at the most stressful company to date I had NO symptoms (I also had a lot of personal stressors at the time). My current location is probably middle of the road in terms of stress and my symptoms over the past 10 months have been by far the most extreme ever (I've had IBS for 20 years). My personal life is extremely low stress as compared to past years... I'm a single mom raised 3 kids on my own for 18 years (with zero help from their dad), put myself through college twice while working and raising kids, graduated 2nd in my class in computer science (If that's not stress I don't know what is). My kids are all raised now and living on their own so my life is actually more relaxed than it's ever been.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322755 - 01/20/08 08:02 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

No advice, as I totally understand. Just big hugs and a note to say "I get it". I'm sorry your this IBS seems to be winning right now.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#322757 - 01/20/08 08:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Can you give us an example of your daily diet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322783 - 01/20/08 12:00 PM
AmandaM

Right now, it's pretty limited. I have been following the Break the Cycle diet the last few days to no avail.

Usually, it's this:
Breakfast: Cream of rice or some sourdough toast with Smart balance, peppermint tea and when my tummy isn't too touchy, half a banana

Lunch: Turkey on sourdough with a bit of mustard, applesauce

Dinner: This varies, but usually I eat chicken, turkey or some type of fish, rice or bread, and a cooked veggie such as zucchini, mushrooms or carrots as I can digest these easily

I can't step far out from these foods right now as I am too afraid. It seems everything I eat goes right through me right now. Oh, and I cook everything and buy all my stuff organic at a really wonderful HFS.

#322786 - 01/20/08 12:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Try removing the applesauce from your diet for a few of days and see what happens. Applesauce can have almost as much free fructose as HFCS

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Already did that this week actually... new
      #322795 - 01/20/08 01:00 PM
AmandaM

I always remove fruits and extra sugars when I am feeling off because they can cause gas.

Thanks for the input Syl. I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday so hopefully (fingers crossed) I can tackle this current bout. It crossed my mind that I have picked up a tummy bug, but I'm so reluctant to accept that and dismiss my symptoms as 'the flu' since it's so hard to tell.

Re: Already did that this week actually... new
      #322823 - 01/20/08 09:50 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

It's so hard to determine if it's IBS or something else isn't it - Dang it anyway. Well I hope your doc can shed some light on this for you - it sure doesn't look like you're eating anything that would be causing all the D. How about fiber to add some bulk, do you think that might help? Or perhaps eat a banana each day (they always seem to slow me down).

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review