All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Substitute question
      #322460 - 01/16/08 10:07 AM
beezer00

Reged: 01/16/08

I have been newly diagnosed with IBS-D and have been trying various soy substitues in recipes. I bought some soy cheese and realized that the product also has the casein ingredient and some milk ingredients in it. Are there soy cheese products without these troublesome ingredients? Is anyone able to handle low-fat regular cheese in small amounts near the end of a meal? I've completely eliminated dairy products as advised in the book.
Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Substitute question new
      #322467 - 01/16/08 10:43 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Vegan Gourmet cheese is completely dairy free and actually tastes pretty good - and it melts, too! However it's pretty high in fat so you have to take it easy. But I find it's so flavourful a little goes a long way, anyway.

I do wonder about dairy products being a trigger for me... I can't count the number of times - before starting this diet - that I had pizza and NEVER had an attack. But I'm still trying to get stable here, so I will wait another little while before experimenting!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322468 - 01/16/08 10:51 AM
beezer00

Reged: 01/16/08

Thanks! That's very helpful. I agree with you on the dairy. I love dairy, so it's been the hardest to eliminate from my diet. There are days where I'm very tempted to have a little cheese here and there. I've just been doing the diet for about 2 weeks, so I'm going to be strict until I'm stable for a while. Then, I might experiment some.

#322556 - 01/17/08 11:37 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Cheese is most deffinalty a trigger for alot of people. There are many cheeses that are dairy free. Most of them will have to say "vegan" to be sure. Because the casien makes them melt good. But you will have to read lables.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review