All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help! Pedialyte-- good or bad with IBS???
      #322256 - 01/13/08 11:59 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey all! I developed the stomach flu last night with severe cramping, lots of D and some mild vomiting. My question to all of you, while right now I feel much better, I am still having cramping. I've read that the cramping is probably residual from all the D that I had. Well it suggests to have something like Pedialyte to replace the electrolytes that I lost and so I dont get dehydrated. Well pedialyte has artificial flavoring in it... is that ok to drink with IBS? I have heard that gatorade is horrible to drink with IBS. Do you recommend just sipping on some gingerale? Any quick response would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

Stefanie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Pedialyte-- good or bad with IBS??? new
      #322262 - 01/13/08 04:42 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Hi Steffie, I'm sorry to hear that you caught the bug! It's bad enough that we have gut problems but adding viruses into the mix can sure make this awful for us. I've just read a little on pedialyte and I would recommend that you get the unflavored if you're concerned about the artifical flavoring (although, I think the flavoring is very minimal and probably won't bother you - not an expert opinion of course)... Here are a list of the ingredients:
Ingredients:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pareve, Water, Dextrose, Less than 2%:, Fructose, Citric Acid, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Artificial Apple Flavor, Caramel Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose

I might also mention that I too had the flu (Christmas week) after the D finally stopped, I just drank lots and lots of fennel tea which really helps me with cramping, bloating and gas.

I wish you well!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322265 - 01/13/08 04:54 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Thank you very much for replying. I sent my husband out to buy some pedialyte and he came home with the orange flavor. So oh well..I just tasted it and it tastes pretty icky (a little like the stuff you drink before a colonoscopy!). Ugh, stomach flu is the last thing I need... like you said us IBSers dont need anything else to mess with our gut! I guess I will give pedialyte a try. My husband tried to find some adult form of it, but he couldnt. I really am wanting some ginger ale. Unfortunetly my "D" isnt totally cleared up and I've been dehydrated plenty of times before so I am trying to avoid that. Its hard to have the stomach flu with IBS because at first I thought I was just having an IBS attack! Oh well thanks for the info on fennel tea. Hopefully by tommorow it will all be cleared up! Thanks again!

Stefanie

#322277 - 01/13/08 08:15 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm not sure about the Pedialyte, but chicken broth and plain white rice also help after a bout of the stomach flu. Hope you feel better soon!

Re: Help! Pedialyte-- good or bad with IBS??? Propel Water new
      #322291 - 01/14/08 05:59 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

May I suggest Propel Water to get your electrolytes back up, it tastes pretty good and it's clear. Although it appears to be sweetened with Splenda, I thought I bought some that was sweetened with just sugar.

Nutritional Information below:

Propel contains water, sucrose syrup, natural flavors, citric acid, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, sucralose (known under the trade name Splenda), vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E acetate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), calcium disodium EDTA, calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), acesulfame potassium, and vitamin B12.

240 ml (~8.1oz) of Propel contains 10 Calories (42 kilojoules), 35 mg of sodium, 3 g of carbohydrates, and 2 g of sugar.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3259

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review