All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: To Maria!Maria: open heart surgery story new
      #322016 - 01/09/08 08:50 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Wow Steffie, it sounds like your body's been through quite an ordeal! No wonder you are stressed. This could very well be why your period has changed.

When they discovered my VSD when I was a baby, the doctors told my mother that they usually wait until a child is at least 5 years old before doing surgery, but they basically said that my case was so severe I wouldn't have lasted that long. So I had the surgery at 20 months. Back then, that was a big deal. Today, I've heard that they can fix a VSD with laparoscopy! Anyways, luckily I never had any more problems with it. My doctor told me a couple of years ago that I still had a slight murmur, but an EKG and Holter monitor didn't show anything.

The redness in your scar will probably fade – I remember my scar was bright red for years when I was a little kid, but now it is the same colour as the rest of my skin. You can still see it, of course, but I've all but forgotten I even have it!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To Maria!Maria: open heart surgery story new
      #322018 - 01/09/08 09:11 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Well, here's another member of the zipper club! I had open heart surgery when I was 4 months old. I was born a blue baby and my surgery was for the Transposition of the Great Arteries, basically my heart works backwards, or the opposite way of a normal heart. I can't do a lot of strenuous exercise, but thankfully I get to walk my dog pretty much everyday, practice yoga and enjoying hiking the beautiful trails of Montana.

I think it's funny that there are some of us on this site that seem to have so much in common. Hope everyone can have a beautiful and healthy 2008!

Re: Steffie and Erilyn new
      #322024 - 01/09/08 09:56 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yeah, Steffie -- that's a lot you've been through! I agree with Erilyn that that's stressful enough to affect your periods and bring about the IBS.

Erilyn -- My VSD was also discovered as a baby and doctors thought it would close on its own. But I was too sick so they did the surgery (this was in the 70s and was still a big deal at the time). I have a nine-inch long scar now, but that's all I've ever known and I forget about it until other people point it out. I had an electrocardiogram a couple of years ago and it didn't show anything. It's amazing that they can now do that operation with a laparoscopy!

Re: To JennyB new
      #322025 - 01/09/08 10:00 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi! I think it's great to meet others who share similar experiences. I know a coworker who had open heart surgery for VSD as an adult and she also has IBS. But that's about the only "real life" person I know who has IBS (or at least admits to it).

I hope you have a great 2008 too!

To all my open heart surgery friends! new
      #322068 - 01/09/08 03:32 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Its crazy how we all have this in common. Jenny: My brother died during surgery for Transpostion of the Great Vessels (I think it was vessels, it might have been arteries). I never met him but my mom said he was blue, and was always sick. His surgery was around 2 1/2 years old. I was then born after him and ended up having Tetralogy of Fallot, but was not a blue baby. Like I said, my mom was only told then that I had a VSD. Crazy.

I am thinking that all this stress is a huge reason why I have IBS now. My heart is still quite irratic and sometimes I feel defeated, just like when will it ever end you know?! My surgery caused me to be anemic because I lost so much blood and I still havent gotten over that. Iron pills make me sooo sick and green leafy veges make my IBS go crazy... so I am kinda stuck anemic for now. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing your stories ladies! Lets hope that 2008 brings healthy things!

Stefanie

Re: To all my open heart surgery friends! new
      #322082 - 01/09/08 06:25 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Stefanie

sometimes I feel defeated, just like when will it ever end you know?!

I know exactly what you mean by that Stefanie! The last few weeks I have been on and off again. I will go a few days and be able to eat any of the foods I usually do without any problems, but then it seems that I can't eat anything without getting bloated and gassy. And I mean bloated when I say it, for I look like I'm pregnant! The bloating makes my stomach muscles tighten up and I can belch like a 300 pound man! FRUSTRATION!!!!

Thankfully, I have been having normal bowel movements, but I am still so frustrated somedays.

But Stefanie, I am glad that we can share something else in common. This will probably sound quite corny, but I feel some sort of connection to you, as we both have had open heart surgery. Somedays it does all seem too much, I'm only 20 years old, and sometimes I just have to cry to let it all out.

But alas, it seems it is something I will continue to battle. Thanks again Stefanie for sharing your heart story, though I still don't quite understand your condition. I hope you are doing well and keep fighting, we're all in this together!

Re: To all my open heart surgery friends! new
      #322157 - 01/10/08 05:50 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Jenny B,
Thanks for your support and help. Sometimes it gets overwhelming and alot of the times I am waiting for the next ball to drop...just like whats going to be next?! But I try to put my problems in perspective and realize that I could be a whole lot worse off. Thanks again!

Stefanie

Re: Questions about "that time of the month" new
      #322905 - 01/21/08 06:45 PM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

Talk to your ob/gyn about this or intern. going on birth control can allieviate this as you can skip your period for many months at a time. this way if you are going away somewhere, you can skip the period.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review