All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
eating out woes
      #321350 - 12/30/07 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Doesn't it suck that you can't go to a restaurant and open the menu and say 'what am I in the mood for tonight?' and pick whatever you want off the menu. I am pretty used to not being able to do that but it struck me last night how much less fun it is to choose from the one, two or maybe three items that are sort of safe and may not make you sick rather than anything on the menu. I try to get excited when there is one safe thing but really it is not worth eating out at all most of the time!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eating out woes new
      #321355 - 12/30/07 07:50 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I totally hear ya. There are so many neat places around here we could go for dinner tomorrow night but I told my dh I either want to go to the neighborhood coffee shop or Denny's because I can order breakfast food such as oatmeal, eggbeaters and dry toast. It sucks but it's better than getting sick.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#321358 - 12/30/07 08:08 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Yeah, I know. And everyone is being so nice and concerned when they ask, "and if we go to xyz, can you find something on the menu?". I mean, it's nice of them to ask me and I really appreciate the fact that they care, but I don't want to have to find something, I want to be able to eat whatever I want! I look around and see girls with flat stomachs (to me flat stomach = no IBS) eating fried stuff. I want to be able to do that, too .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Oh yeah! new
      #321384 - 12/31/07 01:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I feel your pain. It really is a simple pleasure that has been taken away.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#321400 - 12/31/07 04:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I always insist on Noodles and Company.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#321403 - 12/31/07 05:25 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I totally agree! And I have to avoid garlic and onions like the plague. That's leaves practically NOTHING that I can order. Can't even go for the desserts now that I don't eat gluten.

I get sick from the tiniest little bit of garlic (from the chef's knife of something left on the grill). I hate having to explain myself, 'cause the wait-staff just don't "get it."

And it's no fun, because I want to go out, but my husband says, "Oh there's nothing you can eat." It's pre-ordained. I always want to believe I can find something on the menu, so I'll take a chance and then regret it big-time later that night.

whine whine

Calli

#321405 - 12/31/07 06:38 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I'm with you Minnie. I'm going to Chicago next week for a week long business trip and I'm scared to death that I'm not going to find things I can eat. I'm planning on bringing lots of bread, oatmeal packets, microwaveable rice and applesauce(in the individual packets) and I'm hoping that I'll find a close place to get some baked potatoes, chicken or fish for lunches. I'm just so sick of my whole life revolving around my gut and what it may produce!!

A friend asked me today if I had plans for New Year's eve - my response "Nothing, what do people do to celebrate? - Eat and drink and I can't do either!"

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321424 - 01/01/08 08:42 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Oh I totally agree!!And Callie I hear ya on the garlic and onions. But garlic is in EVERY marinate. Plus my company luncheon was at a fancy local itailian place with like 7 courses and NONE I could eat. I had to call ahead and have them make me plain penne pasta with grilled chicken and olive oil. AND ask them to have seperate bread for me with NO garlic. And then my boss sits next to me and asks why I am not eating anything?? Nice huh?just a tad embarressing

Even know my hubby LOVES italian we only go once in a while and I get some plain pasta and put a small amount of olive oil. Sometimes I can get fish. But my mom told me the other day she watched on the morning news about gluten free menus at restaurants.

Apparently, Outback steakhouse, carabba's and bonefish grill and a lot of others have a Gluten free menu. A seperate menu just for us. Things are prepared with no marinate or baste. How cool is that am we might be able to get a dessert too. What is says is you have to ask you waiter or waitress for it

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#321428 - 01/01/08 10:04 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I hear ya - I haven't even been to a restaurant since I started EFI. I looked at some menus online for a few of my favourites, and was incredibly disappointed. You're right - it's like there's even no point in going out to eat anymore. Going out to eat used to be fun, and I love to try new foods. It was maybe only 1 time in 4 that I would end up with an attack after eating out (my triggers are amazingly random), but that 1 time in 4 was enough. I don't want ANY more attacks and if that means no more eating out then so be it.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#321429 - 01/01/08 10:09 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

A friend asked me today if I had plans for New Year's eve - my response "Nothing, what do people do to celebrate? - Eat and drink and I can't do either!"

Yup. Hubby and I went over to a friend's house last night, and every five minutes someone was asking me if I wanted a drink, or some sort of food (high-fat appies, cookies, chips, cake, etc.). And I don't know how many times my friend asked if I wanted a diet coke, even though I've told her a hundred times I can't have caffeine either. Five minutes before midnight her husband starting pouring out the wine, and I asked for literally half a mouthful in my glass, and he brought me a full glass anyway (I didn't drink it). Sigh.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 974 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3220

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review