All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
eating out woes
      #321350 - 12/30/07 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Doesn't it suck that you can't go to a restaurant and open the menu and say 'what am I in the mood for tonight?' and pick whatever you want off the menu. I am pretty used to not being able to do that but it struck me last night how much less fun it is to choose from the one, two or maybe three items that are sort of safe and may not make you sick rather than anything on the menu. I try to get excited when there is one safe thing but really it is not worth eating out at all most of the time!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: eating out woes new
      #321355 - 12/30/07 07:50 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I totally hear ya. There are so many neat places around here we could go for dinner tomorrow night but I told my dh I either want to go to the neighborhood coffee shop or Denny's because I can order breakfast food such as oatmeal, eggbeaters and dry toast. It sucks but it's better than getting sick.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#321358 - 12/30/07 08:08 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Yeah, I know. And everyone is being so nice and concerned when they ask, "and if we go to xyz, can you find something on the menu?". I mean, it's nice of them to ask me and I really appreciate the fact that they care, but I don't want to have to find something, I want to be able to eat whatever I want! I look around and see girls with flat stomachs (to me flat stomach = no IBS) eating fried stuff. I want to be able to do that, too .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Oh yeah! new
      #321384 - 12/31/07 01:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I feel your pain. It really is a simple pleasure that has been taken away.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#321400 - 12/31/07 04:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I always insist on Noodles and Company.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#321403 - 12/31/07 05:25 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I totally agree! And I have to avoid garlic and onions like the plague. That's leaves practically NOTHING that I can order. Can't even go for the desserts now that I don't eat gluten.

I get sick from the tiniest little bit of garlic (from the chef's knife of something left on the grill). I hate having to explain myself, 'cause the wait-staff just don't "get it."

And it's no fun, because I want to go out, but my husband says, "Oh there's nothing you can eat." It's pre-ordained. I always want to believe I can find something on the menu, so I'll take a chance and then regret it big-time later that night.

whine whine

Calli

#321405 - 12/31/07 06:38 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I'm with you Minnie. I'm going to Chicago next week for a week long business trip and I'm scared to death that I'm not going to find things I can eat. I'm planning on bringing lots of bread, oatmeal packets, microwaveable rice and applesauce(in the individual packets) and I'm hoping that I'll find a close place to get some baked potatoes, chicken or fish for lunches. I'm just so sick of my whole life revolving around my gut and what it may produce!!

A friend asked me today if I had plans for New Year's eve - my response "Nothing, what do people do to celebrate? - Eat and drink and I can't do either!"

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321424 - 01/01/08 08:42 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Oh I totally agree!!And Callie I hear ya on the garlic and onions. But garlic is in EVERY marinate. Plus my company luncheon was at a fancy local itailian place with like 7 courses and NONE I could eat. I had to call ahead and have them make me plain penne pasta with grilled chicken and olive oil. AND ask them to have seperate bread for me with NO garlic. And then my boss sits next to me and asks why I am not eating anything?? Nice huh?just a tad embarressing

Even know my hubby LOVES italian we only go once in a while and I get some plain pasta and put a small amount of olive oil. Sometimes I can get fish. But my mom told me the other day she watched on the morning news about gluten free menus at restaurants.

Apparently, Outback steakhouse, carabba's and bonefish grill and a lot of others have a Gluten free menu. A seperate menu just for us. Things are prepared with no marinate or baste. How cool is that am we might be able to get a dessert too. What is says is you have to ask you waiter or waitress for it

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#321428 - 01/01/08 10:04 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I hear ya - I haven't even been to a restaurant since I started EFI. I looked at some menus online for a few of my favourites, and was incredibly disappointed. You're right - it's like there's even no point in going out to eat anymore. Going out to eat used to be fun, and I love to try new foods. It was maybe only 1 time in 4 that I would end up with an attack after eating out (my triggers are amazingly random), but that 1 time in 4 was enough. I don't want ANY more attacks and if that means no more eating out then so be it.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#321429 - 01/01/08 10:09 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

A friend asked me today if I had plans for New Year's eve - my response "Nothing, what do people do to celebrate? - Eat and drink and I can't do either!"

Yup. Hubby and I went over to a friend's house last night, and every five minutes someone was asking me if I wanted a drink, or some sort of food (high-fat appies, cookies, chips, cake, etc.). And I don't know how many times my friend asked if I wanted a diet coke, even though I've told her a hundred times I can't have caffeine either. Five minutes before midnight her husband starting pouring out the wine, and I asked for literally half a mouthful in my glass, and he brought me a full glass anyway (I didn't drink it). Sigh.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Are you from outer space? new
      #321475 - 01/02/08 07:07 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I hear ya its just not fair... I always tell my husband how lucky are you and everyone elese that you can just get what ever you want and not have to worry about anything you eat.. When we do go out its usuley subway or lonestar and its been know to upset my stomach.. and ordering the same old thing get so old after a while.... We went to the olive garden a few days ago and i ordered penne pasta with grilled chicken toms, zuchunnie and mushrooms and the waiter look at me like I was from outspace and said any sauce?? I said no! and then I ordered plain breadsticks and just a romaine sald and he thought I was a alien or something.. My husband gets so made and says I can't belive that these places don't have better choice for people! I feel like I am cheeting him and my little girl by not eating out he says were not But I would love to be normal and just go out or order out for pizza!!!! But your all right its better just to eat at home you can cook what you want you know what goes in it and your more comfortable... Its glad to know that I'm not alone. Just to go to the cabinet and pick out a snack cake or have a diet coke again would be wonderful!!!
emmasmom
ibs-c

#321477 - 01/02/08 07:53 AM
Jordy

The gluten thing makes it even more difficult.

--------------------

#321488 - 01/02/08 08:43 AM
Calli66

Thanks for the tip about the gluten-free restaurants--I've never tried them for fear of garlic and onions! So many times I've asked for "no sauce, vinegar and oil only---no dressing," only to end up with essence of garlic and onions! A long time ago we went to Olive Garden with my in-laws, and I ordered plain pasta (that was before I went gluten free) with olive oil and fresh Basil. And they didn't have fresh basil---in an Italian restaurant!

I bet you're right about the marinade and basting liquids ---my "seared tuna" (that made me sick) had garlic in that. I am so ignorant of chef's cooking methods. And I have to learn to be more forceful when placing my order---AND--in rejecting the plate when they come to serve if anything looks doubtful. It's sometimes hard to tell, especially if the amount is small, and I get embarrassed to confront anybody.

Thanks again,

Calli

Callie new
      #321500 - 01/02/08 10:02 AM
Jordy

Totally different subject...but what part of NM do you live? Do you like it there? Were you born there? I have always thought about moving to the "land of enchantement"!

--------------------

#321502 - 01/02/08 10:31 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I totally feel the same way, it's gotten to the point I will only go to japanese restaurants because at least then there are multiple options, It is so disheartening to go what can I eat, versus what do I want, sigh...

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#321505 - 01/02/08 10:43 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Too funny if friends want to meet for dinner I always suggest japanese or chinese *steamed chicken and veggies* I know I cant go wrong. It was hard at the holidays including New years. I had to make stuff for me the night before. Baked sliced potato chips and lighty dip chicken nuggets in flour and bread crumbs. what a pain in the butt just to hang out with friends. As everyone eats motzarella sticks, fried foods, dips. And dessert!! I had a mixed berry apple sauce. Oh yum!!

But the best news is hubby must have felt bad. He called me today at work and suprised me. He stopped at whole foods (close to his work in NJ) and got me there fresh blueberry sorbet and a pint of purely decadent cookie and cream dairy free dessert This has been the hardest xmas ever. And I love whole foods but there not close so I have been out of my stash since for several of weeks. So I am finally having a safe treat tonight

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re:Jordy; NM off topic new
      #321541 - 01/02/08 04:38 PM
Calli66

I wasn't born here, but have been here since 1976. I used to live in the country, which I liked better, until '92. Now I live near Albuquerque and my little town has been surrounded by highways and housing developments. So I don't like it as much now. I'm tired of the dry climate, high altitude, low humidity (I have extremely dry eyes), but I love the geology, the Pueblos, and the multi-cultural population.

The "enchantment" part is usually associated with the Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico, whereas Albuquerque is more "urban sprawl." But it's friendly here. New Mexico doesn't rank too high in wages and standard of living, but we're improving...and we have Bill Richardson, too.

Calli

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3217

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review