All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C questions and food questions
      #321184 - 12/25/07 02:54 PM

Unregistered

I feel really constipated if I don't go to the bathroom everyday. I usually go everyday, i make the wild berry smoothie off this website almost everyday to get things moving and it helps me,sometimes though, I don't make the smoothie because everything is too soft and the smoothie would make it worse. Sometimes I have to make the smoothie 2-3 times a day. I go everyday and every once in a while theres a day were i don't go or i don't go enough,i feel really bloated and plugged up.

My question is if I go everyday(even if i have to spend 10 trips to the bathroom straining and digging it out)why do i still feel so bloated/gassy/plugged up?
I never work early in the morning, i always work at 5pm, but on christmass eve the night workers had to work at 11 am because we were closing at 4,well I got up at 8am so I could deal with my ibs and get it out of the way like I always do all day before work,I couldn't go to the bathroom but I had just went at 1:30 am,which was right before I went to bed,I felt so constipated and bloated all day,but I never told anyone that cuz i would just have to make it through until 5:30 when I got home and deal with my ibs then.

I go to wal mart and buy magnisium citrate,i drink the whole bottle and it works within 5 or 10 minutes of me taking it,i took a decent number 2, but then a few minutes later i was in the bathroom a few times, i kept going, I was wondering if my bloated right side was going to go away soon,well i kept farting and farting and still felt really bloated,how much bloating and gas must someone get ride of before they feel better? as soon as a ibs-c person gets ride of a bunch of gas does their body just make more and its built up again?

Today i've been in the bathroom i swear, like 50 times and i'm still going. I take regimint,juice plus garden blend,juice plus orchard blend vitamins,peppermint capsules,sometimes:heather's peppermint and fennel tea and sometimes papaya enzyme. Does anyone know what else I should be doing or any other supplement I should take? or is my digestive system really sensitive and I am not that constipated even though it feels like i am?

Here are the food questions.
I read that corn chex or rice chex is good to eat in heathers ibs book,Well my corn chex has 8 grams of whole grain per serving,would this cause problems?
also I make a lot of lemon bread,orange glazed chicken with onions,mushrooms,and carrots,summer baked chicken(without the peaches)
How long can these recipes stay in the freezer cuz i want to start cooking a lot on my days off work and freze food for the week,can the lemon bread go in the freezer or just put it in the fridge? Also,i eat a lot of rice and carbs could that make me gain weight?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

oh,come on! i have 55 thread views and no replies... new
      #321188 - 12/25/07 06:28 PM

Unregistered

Re: oh,come on! i have 55 thread views and no replies... new
      #321191 - 12/25/07 09:54 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

That is unfortunatley because this is not a private board. Anyone can come on this site to read without being registered. I wish the forum was private!

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Re: IBS-C questions and food questions new
      #321198 - 12/26/07 08:10 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

Asperson, I'm not sure how much help I'll be, as I am IBS-D. But I did spend a year being IBS-C although it was not as bad as your seems to be. My husband does not have IBS but he deals with constipation. When I had C, I was prescribed fiber, I believe it was Fiberchoice chewable. This is before I started using Heathers diet, and it seemed to help me. If I were you I would try Acacia to help with C, my husband is taking it and he says he feels so much better. As for gas I take Phazymes everyday, I have acid reflux so I can't take anything with peppermint. As for your foods, are you eating whole onions? Or are you using powder/salt? The reason I ask, my husband can't eat whole onions that have not been cooked or eat very much that has been cooked. He ends up smelling like a big onion afterwards and it causes him to bloat. It's just a thought but some people can't handle whole onions.

When it comes to weight gain each person is different. I also eat a lot of carbs but I have not gained weight. I've lost weight while eating Heather's Diet and exercising 6 days a week. I wish I could be of more help, but it seems every person with IBS is different.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

#321202 - 12/26/07 09:33 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

I know how bad it is to feel plugged up from C. Even though it seems like your having BM's, you're a day or two behind, things aren't moving, and the bloat and gas is misery!

Getting control of C and feeling better is a gradual process: figuring out what foods you're sensitive to (might be onions, dairy, fats, wheat, etc), getting more fiber (but the kind of fiber that doesn't cause upset--best to get it from foods), getting more exercise. What you DON'T want to be doing (at least not very often) is taking those fast-acting laxatives---that throws everything off.

Natural Calm is a powder form of Magnesium Citrate--it's a good product and has really helped me get regular BM's every morning. But you just take a SMALL amount mixed with water.

Getting the IBS under control is a big learning process. You get tips from forums like this, and also learn what your body needs by applying a sort of "scientific method" to the use of the foods you eat and supplements you take.

You'll probably want to be under the care of a doctor, too---don't forget that. Just in case there are other issues like thyroid problems, celiac sprue, vitamin deficiencies, bowel problems.

Hope you feel better soon,

Calli

#321232 - 12/27/07 11:07 AM

Unregistered

thank you guys so much. could you answere my questions about heather's recipes,food-freezing and refrigerator stuff, and watever else I said,please. Well I have pretty much absolutly no money right now..I get paid the middle or end of next week so maybe I'll buy natural calm,I also need a shipment of my vitamins since i'm out. I own fibercon and heathers acacia powder,ill start taking the acacia,should i take the fibercon too or just the acacia?

#321253 - 12/27/07 07:26 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I consider myself chronically constipated. Lately I've been having it under control. I don't take any fibers but I have a certain routine that helps me have gentle relief in the morning, sometimes couple of times a day.

My main foods:

Oatmeal with fresh fruit (lately I mix in raspberries and blueberries)

Orange juice and cup of water

Rice with white meat or fish. Some veggies.

Soup or cereal with soy milk

3 apples a day with skins-I eat them between meals.

Hot chocolate based on soy milk and 3 squires of dark chocolate

Now, there are days when I can't eat apples with skins, chocolate or veggies. But lately it's been ok so I am pretty happy. Now, I notice that when I eat foods that are completely dairy free, very low fat and non-spicy my IBS is very calm. I don't have gas, constipation or spasms. As soon as I mess up and eat something I shouldn't have, then after that anything can trigger an attack. And sometimes it takes a long time to get back to normal.

Hope this helps.
Tatyana.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#321258 - 12/27/07 10:12 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

About freezing foods--I sometimes use a good reference cookbook like Joy of Cooking that explains what foods are good for freezing, how to prepare them, how long they last, etc.

Just remember, bacterial growth is not stopped by freezing, only slowed down, so if you're worried about spoilage, you have to use fresh food, don't contribute to spoilage by having it sit at room temperature too long; use only fresh foods and fully cooked meats; and don't contaminate utensils, containers, cutting boards with raw meat juices.

The other food questions I'll let somebody else answer.

Calli

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review