All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What a horrible morning!
      #320889 - 12/17/07 02:49 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

So my IBS is usually worst in the morning for me and this morning was no exception. Currently I am in the middle of finding out if I have Celiac or IBS or both! So I have followed all of your advice and I am still eating gluten because I have that endoscopy thing after the holidays. So on Sunday I didnt go to the bathroom all day, which is so odd for me and I had a bad feeling it was going to catch up with me... well it did. I live in the Cleveland area and we just had a really bad snow storm this weekend. Well I get in my car to go to work and about 5 minutes later it hits me. Stomach cramping and the big urge to go to the bathroom right now! I just kept thinking I can make it to work. Well I get on the highway and traffic is stopped. Now the anxiety kicks in and I am near tears. The next exit I get off (in a bad area of Cleveland). It seemed like everything was against me. I get stopped at all the red lights, finally I see a McDonalds and then this big RTA bus is blocking traffic. Then I get stopped again by an ambulance! ARGH! Finally I get to the McDonalds and use the restroom. I just thought for sure if I didnt get to a bathroom something in my body was going to explode!! Also my mouth got really dry during all this, like I felt dehydrated! Have any of you had to stop on your way somewhere to use a bathroom? No matter what the condition of the bathroom was in or where I was, I didnt care. Needless to say I was late to work today. It seems like if I eat an IBS trigger food, its like instantly I am in the bathroom. But with gluten, its not so instant it seems to take longer. Does that make sense? Sorry, I just had to vent about my horrible morning and see if any of you have had the same thing happen. Ugh, makes me never want to eat again! Thanks for letting me vent!

Stefanie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What a horrible morning! new
      #320890 - 12/17/07 03:08 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Oh yes, yes, yes!! This has happened to me many times. There have even been a couple of VERY unfortunate times that I didn't make it. These have only been instances where I tried to ignore the signs and "push on", as it were. The last time was two years ago - I went out for a friend's bachelorette party to Applebees (this was before I had any idea which foods were triggers - it all just seemed so random back then), and I wasn't feeling too great to begin with (large social gatherings always make me a little nervous). But I went anyway and I had STEAK and garlic mashed potatoes, as well as a couple of drinks for dinner. Bad idea. After dinner we were to head out to a night club. Now - I ALMOST went home, but I decided, this is a very good friend, and I'd like to be there for her big night. We get to the night club and I start sweating. NOT feeling well at all. I went to the bathroom but it wasn't "ready" to come out yet. I hang around a bit longer, and finally decide I can't take it. I go to the bathroom one more time, but this time there is a HUGE line and I just had to leave. I didn't live too far away so I just prayed and prayed that I would make it. I was about five minutes away from my building when.... well. I try to reassure myself that I will just never be that dumb again - if my tummy is telling me to stay home, then STAY HOME! And I'm sure the situation (anxiety) and food (steak, alcohol, God-knows what else) certainly didn't help matters.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#320891 - 12/17/07 03:11 PM
steffiejoy

Its horrible I know! I swear I was about to do that myself today. It was like I saw relief in the form of a McDonalds restroom and everything was against me! Oy vey!

#320903 - 12/17/07 05:09 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I have had so many mornings like yours this morning that it isn't funny. That was before Heather's diet and before acacia. I have had some attacks since I started the diet but they have either been when I was at work or when I was at home--not on the way. I still remember plotting my course through Houston traffic so that I had a bathroom available every 15 minutes or so. How crazy is that???

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#320911 - 12/17/07 10:10 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Stefanie,

Hello again! I'm so sorry to hear about this very uncomfortable and upsetting ride to work. I've totally been in that position and even more upsetting scenarios, so my heart goes out to you. Question for you... What did you eat and drink that morning? I'm curious how careful you are paying attention to trigger foods and beverages.

I'm rooting for a better day for you tomorrow

With love,
Alicia

#320925 - 12/18/07 06:38 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm so sorry you had such a rough morning. I've been there, too, and I know how icky and scary it is.

I used to have about an 8 to 10 minute drive to work and there were times when I felt like I couldn't make it even that long if I didn't take Pepto Bismal before I got in the car.

Before I stabilized, something that helped me in the mornings is eating my breakfast at work. I'd take my fiber before I left, gave my gut plenty of time to do its thing before I left home, and then just ate my oatmeal at work.

Oh, and tangentally, taking 2 Fibercon tablets before lunch also made things easier.

#320940 - 12/18/07 09:02 AM

Unregistered

How miserable for you, I believe we can all relate....I know first hand that that McDonald's sign should have had a big R for relief instead of that big M..... I like the advice of taking fiber before leaving in the morning and then eating your breakfast at work. I do that EVERY morning, if that's an option for you, DO IT!

#320973 - 12/18/07 12:36 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Oh my gosh, I could have written your post. You have to go, and then the anxiety of not finding a bathroom makes you have to go more! It's awful. Glad you made it!

My issue is on the way to school with the kids. I drop them off and more times than not, I'm rushing in to use the school bathroom. I just don't have enough time in the morning to get my bowels running and it hits normally on the road. Sometimes taking an imodium with my vitamins in the morning helps.

Sandy

Would I feel better if I ate breakfast? new
      #320996 - 12/18/07 07:21 PM
steffiejoy

Alicia and everyone else who replied,

I am taking from my replys and a few questions, that maybe I should be eating something in the morning? I actually dont eat anything in the morning. I get to work around 7:30 am and I drink some water, thats it. Then I eat lunch at 11:00 am and that is almost always a can of chicken and rice soup or a plain turkey sandwich with some pretzels. For dinner its almost always plain (sometimes with teriyaki sauce) chicken and white rice. I'm just so stuck right now because I might have celiac and ibs. I know I have ibs but I might have both and unfortunetly I wont know till after the endoscopy. Also in the morning is almost always when I feel worse. It also seems like even when I dont eat I get D. My thinking was... I dont eat... why would I have D?! But it seems like when I dont eat I almost get it just as bad. Confusing. So should I eat in the morning? If so, what do I eat? It seems as though gluten bothers me, I'm lactose intolerant and have IBS. I didnt eat dinner last night because of my horrible morning. I just had a can of soup for lunch and thats all I had all day. But somehow still this morning I had D! Oh I give up.

Stefanie

Oh and I'm allergic to bananas, eggs, avocados and honey new
      #320998 - 12/18/07 07:38 PM
steffiejoy

yeah, so no eggs or bananas for breakfast for me.

Re: Oh and I'm allergic to bananas, eggs, avocados and honey new
      #321001 - 12/18/07 09:06 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

What about microwaving a baked potato and making a tofu scramble to put on top of the potato? I see that you're not eating breakfast but are you drinking coffee or tea? Just curious about how you are still having D before you get to work without having consumed any food or beverage besides water.

I'm also curious if your anxiety level could be a huge contributing factor if food is not involved. Perhaps a nice calming morning ritual (without any rushing) would be helpful. Just throwing it out there.

~Alicia

#321002 - 12/19/07 01:08 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

Sorry i havent replied sooner - but i totally felt sorry for you after reading this - i have also had an episode like this lately and i had to use the grubbiest public toilets you have ever seen - but i just didnt care !! The dry mouth will be your anxiety as im sure somebody has already told you - i get anxiety and panick attacks and thats the first thing that goes on me is my mouth !! maybe if gluten is affecting you this way you could cut down just a little untill you know for sure !! love n hugs xx jen

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

Re: Oh and I'm allergic to bananas, eggs, avocados and honey new
      #321023 - 12/19/07 05:31 PM
steffiejoy

Alicia,
I dont drink any coffee or tea. I just have always felt crummy in the morning every since this all started. I usually dont feel much better until lunch time. I do rush a lot in the morning, I'm not good at getting up early. So maybe I need to slow it down. My commute is also filled with bumper to bumper traffic which is frustrating. Oh well, thanks again!

Stefanie

#321024 - 12/19/07 05:33 PM
steffiejoy

Thank you Jen for the info about the dry mouth. Youre the first to tell me that actually. Ugh, I just seem to feel so crummy in the morning. Maybe I should eat breakfast but I never feel well enough to. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Stefanie

#321042 - 12/20/07 08:31 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Maybe you could try soemthing really simple for breakfast, like cream of rice cereal? Even the baby type. It is super easy to digest and will help put some soluble fiber in your tummy first thing in the morning.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1799 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review