All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Bentyl new
      #320826 - 12/16/07 11:55 AM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I haven't really noticed any major difference in how I feel after taking the Bentyl for a few days. My doc told me to take it 3 times a day, so that's what I've been doing... I feel better than I did this time last week, but maybe that's because I am being anal retentive about my diet. I'm trying really hard not to stray! And I haven't noticed any weird side effects from taking the Bentyl.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#321060 - 12/20/07 01:20 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Can Xanax or Klonopin(ie benzodiazaapines) work as well as an antispasmodic in calming the gut?

#321112 - 12/21/07 01:54 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I would say no, since I have used both ADs and Xanax. I take Bentyl only when I need it. An "attack" for me is REALLY bad gas pain. It usually gets rid of my symptoms within half an hour. I do, however, notice that I get dry mouth after I take it. Other than that, it works great!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#321318 - 12/29/07 08:33 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

Can Xanax or Klonopin(ie benzodiazaapines) work as well as an antispasmodic in calming the gut?

I've been taking Xanax for several years to help me sleep - No it does not help with the spasms - but I sure do sleep good on it

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Re: antidepressants and ibs new
      #321392 - 12/31/07 03:16 PM
Sneaker

Reged: 12/31/07
Loc: Montreal

Antidepressants CAUSED my IBS. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and as such need to take cocktail of meds to control my moods.

One anti I was on was Effexor. I was MISERABLE. I lost 10 pounds in a month without trying only because EVERYTHING I ate made me sick, except bread. I was crying from the pain almost every single day. I had horrific nightmares, would get dizzy for no reason, felt 'brain shivers'....the week after I took my last pill (after talking to my doctor and TAPERING OFF. Never, ever, ever quit cold turkey), I was able to eat more than bread. I had to slowly introduce foods back into my diet, and discovered that I could no longer tolerate milk, regular yoghurt, ice cream, etc. Things just got worse after that once I realised that a lot of the food I was able to eat before, I could no longer eat.

My point is....seriously, take them with caution. Many antis are known to cause some tummy problems, Effexor being one of them. Not only that, but going off of Effexor can be hell.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3869 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review