Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Egg issues
      #320510 - 12/12/07 12:03 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

So Monday I was having an omelet craving, so I made one using egg beaters. I have used this before in baking with no problems, although I usually use egg whites for when I make omelets. Because I was rather hungry, I made the omelet on the bigger side, with potatoes, mushrooms, and a tiny bit of onion. I thought I would be fine, but the next morning I had an attack . Has anyone had a situation where eating a bit too many eggs, even if they are the replacement type, has given them IBS issues? I worry because I feel like I am still feeling the effects, even though it's 2 days later. I am trying to figure it out, because I really love eggs and they are a great source of protein, so I don't want to unnecessarily cut them out, and it doesn't make sense to me because I can tolerate them in my baking. Sorry, my for the unnecessarily long post, but my IBS has just recently flared and it's really affecting me mentally (which I'm sure is not helping the situation, lol).

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Egg issues new
      #320512 - 12/12/07 12:16 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I cannot tolerate egg white omelettes at all! Only use it for baking, unfortunately.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

me too!! new
      #320513 - 12/12/07 12:28 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I always think I'm crazy and try an egg white omlet just ONE more time..and always feel horrible afterwards. Especially if I eat them in the AM I feel bad. I think once or twice I had one in the evening and was allright, but it was a LONG time ago. No eggs for me, but baking with them gives me NO problems!

--------------------
IBS-A

#320515 - 12/12/07 01:02 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Egg Beaters some times bother me a bit. These days, though, I can eat whole eggs - yolks and all, but I'm stable.

Re: me too!! new
      #320521 - 12/12/07 02:51 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I wonder what it is about them. I thought it was beginning to think it was all in my head since nobody else seemed to have a problem with egg whites!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#320530 - 12/12/07 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

We'll see in the morning! I had pancakes and egg substitute for dinner. I have always been very touchy about yolks.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Egg issues - I might have figured it out, only now a bit more worried new
      #320541 - 12/12/07 05:00 PM
caputsky

First of all, thanks for all your replies. Like I said, I usually stick with eggwhites for an omelet, but usually when I make one it is on the smaller side, while this one was a big larger. I think I'll not use those egg beaters anymore. However, I was thinking about how I was feeling, and it seemed like a little more than my usual IBS issues. So, in a moment of inspiration, I dug the egg beaters carton out of the trash (gross, I know, but sometimes it has to be done) and checked the expiration date: July 2007!!! Oi vey, that was 4 months ago. So I think that was also a big part of the problem, but now I'm worried that I have some sort of food poisoning, like salmonella I don't know, though, because I was under the impression that salmonella comes from eating raw eggs, and this doesn't seem to fit that? Thoughts??

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

eek new
      #320543 - 12/12/07 05:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Oh No! I don't think, well I don't assume you can get salmonella from old egg beaters. I think the germ has to be in there to start and egg beaters are pasteurized. However you could still get food poisoning. So is it possible the egg beaters were in the freezer for some of that time? Some stores have them fresh and frozen and they are good for several months frozen.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: eek new
      #320549 - 12/12/07 05:55 PM
caputsky

Yeah, I don't think I have salmonella, but possibly a mild version of food poisoning. They weren't the frozen type, just the kind that are refridgerated, and it says on the carton not to use past 7 days after the expiration date...oops! I am still going to email my doctor tomorrow and ask her, just to be sure. Thanks for the ideas!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review