All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: For Steffie new
      #320726 - 12/14/07 11:52 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Hi Stefanie,

Before I fly I treat to eat the "safest" I can, however, there were times when my anxiety about "what if?" kicked in and even the safest meal didn't stand a chance. This was usually before I even entered the airplane. Sometimes I would take Immodium an hour before the flight to give me a boost of self-confidence AND I ALWAYS bring food on the plane that was "safe" for me instead of eating the airline food. Usually it was a plain turkey sandwich, not too exciting, but hey it's sustenance! Bananas worked well too.

As far as what you get so nervous about....only you know. For me it was all the "what if's?" that freaked me out and each "what if" would build on another and before I knew it I would spiral into high anxiety over. I have been a student of meditation for 5 years now and it helps a great deal, however, I wouldn't be normal if those "what if's" still didn't pop in my head. Perhaps a new perspective to try is to turnaround your what if's to be positive ones instead of negative.... such as.... What if I have a successful flight without anxiety? What if my stomach is feeling the best it ever has? What if I'm at total peace on this flight? What if I could fully accept my IBS and make peace with it?

Sometimes just turning around our perspectives can open up and free us from our suffering. Give it a try, it beats the alternative!

Have a lovely holiday in Arizona and know that I'm cheering you on from the sidelines!

Take good care,
Alicia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Steffie ( Celiac Sprue disease?!) new
      #320748 - 12/15/07 08:32 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks Alicia! I just got my bloodwork results back from my GI doctor and it was positive for Celiac Sprue disease. So now I have to get that thing that they put down your throat to look at your stomach and then they do a biopsy I guess. I dont know this is all new to me. But I just wonder, the only things I eat are bread! I mean I base my diet right now around rice and white bread. So it makes me wonder about Celiac. Do you know anything about that? Also if I have to do a gluten free diet, that sounds kind of interesting. I am also lactose intolerant. I was wondering if it was possible to have both IBS and Celiac?! Cause I swear I have triggers that only make sense for IBS. Its all very confusing to me. But I am not getting that throat camera thing until after the holidays. So I asked my doctors office what do I do when I am in Arizona?! I was basically just told to be very careful. Its like ok... so I might have Celiac and I was positive I had IBS but now maybe I only have Celiac or maybe both?! And I am lactose intolerant, so what in the world do I eat?! Ha, oh well. It will all come together eventually right?! My aunt (my moms sister) had Crohns disease. And she had so many complications. But thats the only real genetic tummy disorder in my family and I thought celiac had to come from genes. I did, however read that something like surgery or something that majorly upset your body could cause Celiac to start up. After surgery I also became anemic and that hasnt gone away. And I was put on Coumidin which caused a Vitamin K (I think its K) deficency. I guess thats all related to Celiac. Who knows. I guess for now deal until I get the other test done. I am just wondering what on earth do I eat?! Thanks again Alicia!

Stefanie

Re: For Steffie ( Celiac Sprue disease?!) new
      #320761 - 12/15/07 10:24 AM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Stefanie,

Sorry to hear that you have something else new to throw into the mix of what you are sorting out. I tested negative for Celiac disease so admittedly I don't know much about it. Much will be revealed to you once you get the green light from your doctor to begin the gluten free diet. Then you will be able to learn from serious journaling (which by the way I would start now if you haven't already) if your symptoms improve or not. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make this all better for you but alas, it is what it is for now.

Please continue to keep in close contact with all your physicians so they are all on the same page with you. AND know that you are your best advocate! Ask questions, demand answers, and be sure you take time out to be still and silent to give your mind a rest. Paint your toenails red, take a long bubble bath. This is an especially important time for you to bring lightness to your heart as much as possible.

Also...you may want to start a new post on this website asking for advice about Celiac disease. You may be able to connect with others who have been through this beginning stage and can be a wealth of support for you.

Keep me posted...and feel free to email me (see profile) because I don't often get a chance to visit here as much as I wish I could.

Holding you with love from California,
Alicia

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6367

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review