All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stabilizing IBS-A after laxative
      #320313 - 12/09/07 04:04 PM
quinn17

Reged: 12/07/07

I wonder if anybody has any suggestions. I have just swung from one extreme to the other. I was quite plugged up earlier this week, and, per doc's suggestion, yesterday had some magesium citrate--started with just 4 oz, but that produced nothing but a few pebbles, so after about six hours I had another 4-5 oz--big mistake. In a couple of hours I had watery D that lasted most of the evening, then started up again this morning. (Just like what happened after my latest colonoscopy preps.) I finally took an Immodium, but I'm still not completely done with the D. But I'm afraid to go too far with the white foods for fear of plugging up again, plus I can't tolerate potatoes or sourdough bread. Is brown rice OK for somebody in this condition? What kind of bread? Any other foods? I'm on a migraine restriction diet, too, which really cuts into the possibilities....Just had a calcium citrate pill, which I normally avoid because they are so constipating....but I figured it was better than more immodium.

BTW, my experience with acacia was that it just plugged me up more. I've been using citrucel with limited success, but it was better than acacia for me.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stabilizing IBS-A after laxative new
      #320560 - 12/13/07 01:33 AM
Kitchentrolls

Reged: 12/06/07

When you tried acacia, did you go cold turkey with your other medicines (like laxatives)? I think it is really important to slowly increase SF and take time while decreasing medicines. This could literally take weeks or months, I know that for me it took a really long time.
I donīt eat brown rice, I get so much pain and become bloated everytime I try. I eat potatoes as a vegetable, peeled and in small portions. Otherwise I get bloated. White rice dont seem to bother me at all. When it comes to bread I have found that gluten-free bread is much better than wheat bread for me. Also, hard glutenfree crackers (low fiber) works better than soft bread. My main meals consists of white rice, chicken and some well cooked vegetables. I eat crackers or glutenfree bread with some chicken or other white meats for snacks. I some time eat ripe bananas (not over-ripe, but certainly not unripe either) and rice crackers with jam. Millet porridge, rice porridge or fast oatporridge is what I normally eat for b-fast. I serve it with rice milk and jam or applesauce.
I suggest that you keep your SF intake high and make sure that it constitutes the main part of your meal. Then add what ever vegetables that suits you best, (maybe less cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cabbage and more peeled zucchini/aubergine, sweet potatoes, steamed spinach, peeled and seeded tomatoes and such) this is the IF that should get your bowels moving.
High SF is what balances both C and D for me, i donīt get any less C by adding more IF. Hope this helps, good luck!

Re: Stabilizing IBS-A after laxative new
      #320568 - 12/13/07 06:52 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Kitchentroll,

What rice crackers do you like? So far I havent likd a gluten free bread so do you have any name brand recomendations?

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 636 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review