All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Truth about insoluble fibers...I'm confused
      #319847 - 11/30/07 07:25 PM
CiaoToni

Reged: 11/30/07

My dietitician says spinach is not an insoluble fiber. The website says it is. So, I went searching on the internet and have come up more confused than before. There are many sources including this website, famous hospital websites, my own dietitician, etc. all of which contradict themselves on the amount of insoluble fiber in many different foods. Who is right and who is wrong?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Truth about insoluble fibers...I'm confused new
      #319859 - 12/01/07 04:35 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

i may be wrong but i would say it was a case of if you can tolerate it then go with the flow - if you cant then omit it from the diet ! like lots of things with IBS some people can tolerate things that others cant its a case of seeing how you feel after you have eaten it !! personally for me spinach is something i have to have a little of with something else !!

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#319860 - 12/01/07 04:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are a number of databases such as the Fineli database that will give you the amount of dietary SF and IF. They will not give you information about the amount of functional fiber in foods. See this web page for a more detailed discussion.

The Fineli database says that 100 grams of spinach contains 1.3 grams of fiber of which 0.9 grams is IF and 0.4 grams is SF (polysaccharides, non-cellulosic, water-soluble). The Linus Pauling Institute says that spinach contains 65% IF and 35% SF. The leaves of most if not all vegetables contain more IF than SF. There is also a good overall discussion of fiber on their website too. Your dietitician needs to go back to school

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#319873 - 12/01/07 01:57 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Almost all foods are a combination of soluble and insoluble fiber. Time to get a new dietitian.

#319935 - 12/03/07 08:32 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

A good judge of whether something is soluble or insoluble is to mash it. Obviously veggies like potatoes, yams, turnips, carrots, squash, etc. can be mashed easily when cooked. Veggies like spinach, other leafy greens, peppers, and so on are very difficult or impossible to mash and therefore are made up of mostly IF.

Obviously many veggies are made up of both - but the mashing rule can still apply. Peas, for example, have mushy insides but a firmer "skin". So you know they are made up of both IF and SF. Same with beans.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1622 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review