All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
15 month old baby and IBS
      #319694 - 11/28/07 04:43 PM
lostmom

Reged: 11/28/07

Hello,
My little girl has had IBS symptoms since she was 2 months old. Doctors first said it was just gas it will get better. Its still not better. She doesn't seem to be able to tolerate Dairy, soy, Oat, Rice, beans at all. As a result, she has low protein and she is not able to sleep through for more thatn 2-4 hours at night. I have recently started giving her non-dairy probiotics in her baby food and she was treated with antibiotics for 7 days but the symtoms still continue. Dr. has given her MiraLax and we give that daily. When she is constipated, she doesn't eat and very cranky (understandably so). I feel so helpless not being able to stop discomfort and pain she feels. Can anyone please give me some resource or articles or diet tips for babies?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 15 month old baby and IBS new
      #319696 - 11/28/07 04:47 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'm not sure why, but the first thing to come to my mind is allergies. Are you able to have her tested for food allergies? It's hard when they're so young because babies can have allergies that they eventually grow out of.

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but if want to try some non-invasive methods for helping her to get things moving, try infant massage. You can buy or rent DVDs that show you how or you can take a class. There are several different techniques you can use to stimulate movement in the GI system.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#319699 - 11/28/07 05:27 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

So, what does your little one eat in a run of a day? Is she still on dairy? I'm guessing, no. Was she on any antibiotics before she was 2 months old? I'm also thinking it is an allergy thing. Have you tried goat's milk products?

#319736 - 11/29/07 10:16 AM
lostmom

Hi,
She has been tested for most common allergies but it is negative. She is not on dairy, still on mother's milk. I gave up dairy and she seemed to do better because of it. I have not tried her on goat milk but I was going to try it first and see how she does.

#319737 - 11/29/07 10:20 AM
lostmom

Thanks for the reply. She has been tested for allergies and all the test results have been negative. I used to massage her everyday but now that she is older, its hard to get her to sit still for massage. Great suggestion. I will try again.

#319739 - 11/29/07 10:30 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I can't do dairy either (like most all of us here), and soy makes me very gaseous and C. Warming up juice to give to the child is what my C friend does with her C child when she can't pass BMs.

Also, she never gives her anything too cold. That can start the bowels contracting and cause pain and C. She recommends only lukewarm drinks, and never ice!

Have you tried an anti-spasmodic? I would recommend asking a doctor for one. And if your doc can't answer your concerns, don't be afraid to get another one. Most of us here have gone through several doctors until we've found one who was sympathetic to IBS and could answer our concerns

Best of luck,

~nelly~

#319741 - 11/29/07 10:41 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I feel for you and your struggles and frustartion. Perhaps maybe they have a vitamin with a stool softner for your baby?? just a thought. You might to go to your local health food store and see if they have something along a fiber supplement. I wonder if you could ask Heather to research about the baby taking a very small dosage 1/4 tsp a day??Is your baby eating foods yet? and if so which ones? Maybe try the organic ones from Gerber. Best of luck hope any of this info helps..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319742 - 11/29/07 10:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Have you tried her on an infant formula that is completely allergenic-free? Ask your doctor about it, they have some that are predigested and contain all the nutrients she'll need. She shouldn't have any digestive problems from taking it.

Just to make sure, the probiotics you're giving her, are they Bifidobacterium Infantis? These are meant for infants. Any other strains haven't been studied much for infants.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2776 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review