All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonoscopy
      #319559 - 11/27/07 08:45 AM
Desert Phoenix

Reged: 12/17/03

Hi,
I've had IBS for quite a few years now. I've had all the tests to rule out inflammatory bowel diseases, except for a colonoscopy. I went to a GI doc. today and he recommended I have the colonscopy. Is it everyone's experience that this is a needed procedure in order to be sure of the IBS diagnosis?

Also, the info. sheet they gave me regarding what I could eat leading up to the colonscopy is quite vague -- does anyone have any more detailed info. on this they could steer me toward?

Many thanks for any responses!

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy new
      #319561 - 11/27/07 08:47 AM
Desert Phoenix

Forgot to ask -- do I need to stop taking the acacia fiber prior to the colonoscopy?

#319565 - 11/27/07 09:56 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

My colonoscopy went like this:

The whole day before the colonsocopy, I had to practically fast. I could eat green or yellow gelatin (yuck) and clear liquids like chicken broth. By 6 PM I had to take 4 pills and by 8 PM I was to start drinking the prep liquid. I had a liter's worth to go but I didn't drink it all. I'd say I drank about less than half of that. Anyway, by about 11 PM, I started going to the bathroom and that was the case all night until I woke up the next day at 7 AM. By then, the D was coming out clearer. My appointment was at 8 AM and I believe that it was my traumatic colonoscopy that brought on my IBS symptons but that's a story for another day.

You should be fine and it should go quickly. Good luck!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#319572 - 11/27/07 10:42 AM
Desert Phoenix

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

While I know that it is standard to do a colonscopy to rule out more serious causes (e.g. IBD), I feel very confident that what I have is IBS. Also, while I struggle with regular symptoms, it is liveable and does not impact tremendously on the quality of my life. I guess my thinking is that I really don't want to undergo this kind of procedure unless it's truly warranted, which, in the end, is a kind of subjective assessment.

I don't know...I'm thinking I'll probably cancel the procedure.

Thanks again for your post.

Chris

#319580 - 11/27/07 11:34 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I have not had a colonoscopy. The only tests my doctor ran were some blood tests. I think part of it has to do with your age and family background - some people are at higher risk for conditions that require more serious medical attention. Still, I do wonder if my doctor did everything she needed to in order to rule out things besides IBS.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#319581 - 11/27/07 11:39 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I haven't had a colonoscopy, and according to Heather's book, it's only recommended if you are over 50 anyway. They can do blood tests to check for Celiac, stool samples for parasites, and a CT scan for IBD (Crohn's/Colitis). I think it is only if the above tests find something that they go ahead with a colonoscopy.

Don't take my word for it, though, I'm no doctor..

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#319582 - 11/27/07 11:41 AM
Desert Phoenix

My understanding is that the colonoscopy is necessary to *definitely* rule out other conditions, because these other conditions can sometimes not show up on blood test results, colon x-rays, etc.. I guess it's a matter of how *definitively* you want to be sure. As you say, deciding this is probably down to assessing your family history, age, and severity of your existing symptoms.

Chris

#319588 - 11/27/07 01:04 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I have had every test under the sun besides the colonscopy. Had a very hard time with the prep. They gave me pills and un fortunaly I am the 2% that it made me vomit. But most people are fine. My mom just had one done with the pills and was fine.

Anyways, I agree with being thorough. Blood tests are not enough. I have had CT scan, Endoscopy, ultrasounds, Hida scan (gallblatter). I even had mulitple blood work (female hormones)from and Endocronlogist and an went to see and Internist. All of this and NOTHING. I mean thank G*D but its frustarting because nothing shows up when you have IBS. But you can never be sue so its better to rule out major issues. Good luck!!

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319595 - 11/27/07 03:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If your symptoms are really straight forward,especially if you have IBS in the family, you probably don't need one. It isn't fun for IBSers anyway. But an IBS diagnosis just lets you know there is nothing you can do about your symptoms!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#319603 - 11/27/07 06:37 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

Talk to a GI, mine thought that a colonoscopy wasn't necessary as I had no alarming symptoms that would suggest anything else.

He said that certain factors such as blood in the stool, excessive weight loss, and age (greater than 50) are signs of something else.

My mom was really worried about me and is a nurse in the hospital so she arranged for him to do it anyway as a favour...nothing was found..so I went through the prep for nothing which i must say was awful...i threw up from the solution, it was pretty bad..anyway just make sure you really need it, especially if you have had all the other tests (blood and ultrasound) those test rule out Celiacs, as well as your gallbladder and pancreas ... so that leaves Crohn's, Colitis and Colon Cancer which all usually have blood in the stool and other symptoms.

But if you worry that you may have something else then you should probably get it...for me it kinda depressing knowing that there was nothing else that could be done and that I was stuck with IBS for the rest of my life...as well my family became a whole lot less supportive when it turned out to be "nothing serious" and started saying that "I was perfectly fine" and should just try and start eating like I use to ..... so i guess its a trade off between reassurance and hoping that there is a cure

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review