All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonoscopy
      #319559 - 11/27/07 08:45 AM
Desert Phoenix

Reged: 12/17/03

Hi,
I've had IBS for quite a few years now. I've had all the tests to rule out inflammatory bowel diseases, except for a colonoscopy. I went to a GI doc. today and he recommended I have the colonscopy. Is it everyone's experience that this is a needed procedure in order to be sure of the IBS diagnosis?

Also, the info. sheet they gave me regarding what I could eat leading up to the colonscopy is quite vague -- does anyone have any more detailed info. on this they could steer me toward?

Many thanks for any responses!

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy new
      #319561 - 11/27/07 08:47 AM
Desert Phoenix

Forgot to ask -- do I need to stop taking the acacia fiber prior to the colonoscopy?

#319565 - 11/27/07 09:56 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

My colonoscopy went like this:

The whole day before the colonsocopy, I had to practically fast. I could eat green or yellow gelatin (yuck) and clear liquids like chicken broth. By 6 PM I had to take 4 pills and by 8 PM I was to start drinking the prep liquid. I had a liter's worth to go but I didn't drink it all. I'd say I drank about less than half of that. Anyway, by about 11 PM, I started going to the bathroom and that was the case all night until I woke up the next day at 7 AM. By then, the D was coming out clearer. My appointment was at 8 AM and I believe that it was my traumatic colonoscopy that brought on my IBS symptons but that's a story for another day.

You should be fine and it should go quickly. Good luck!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#319572 - 11/27/07 10:42 AM
Desert Phoenix

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

While I know that it is standard to do a colonscopy to rule out more serious causes (e.g. IBD), I feel very confident that what I have is IBS. Also, while I struggle with regular symptoms, it is liveable and does not impact tremendously on the quality of my life. I guess my thinking is that I really don't want to undergo this kind of procedure unless it's truly warranted, which, in the end, is a kind of subjective assessment.

I don't know...I'm thinking I'll probably cancel the procedure.

Thanks again for your post.

Chris

#319580 - 11/27/07 11:34 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I have not had a colonoscopy. The only tests my doctor ran were some blood tests. I think part of it has to do with your age and family background - some people are at higher risk for conditions that require more serious medical attention. Still, I do wonder if my doctor did everything she needed to in order to rule out things besides IBS.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#319581 - 11/27/07 11:39 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I haven't had a colonoscopy, and according to Heather's book, it's only recommended if you are over 50 anyway. They can do blood tests to check for Celiac, stool samples for parasites, and a CT scan for IBD (Crohn's/Colitis). I think it is only if the above tests find something that they go ahead with a colonoscopy.

Don't take my word for it, though, I'm no doctor..

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#319582 - 11/27/07 11:41 AM
Desert Phoenix

My understanding is that the colonoscopy is necessary to *definitely* rule out other conditions, because these other conditions can sometimes not show up on blood test results, colon x-rays, etc.. I guess it's a matter of how *definitively* you want to be sure. As you say, deciding this is probably down to assessing your family history, age, and severity of your existing symptoms.

Chris

#319588 - 11/27/07 01:04 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I have had every test under the sun besides the colonscopy. Had a very hard time with the prep. They gave me pills and un fortunaly I am the 2% that it made me vomit. But most people are fine. My mom just had one done with the pills and was fine.

Anyways, I agree with being thorough. Blood tests are not enough. I have had CT scan, Endoscopy, ultrasounds, Hida scan (gallblatter). I even had mulitple blood work (female hormones)from and Endocronlogist and an went to see and Internist. All of this and NOTHING. I mean thank G*D but its frustarting because nothing shows up when you have IBS. But you can never be sue so its better to rule out major issues. Good luck!!

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319595 - 11/27/07 03:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If your symptoms are really straight forward,especially if you have IBS in the family, you probably don't need one. It isn't fun for IBSers anyway. But an IBS diagnosis just lets you know there is nothing you can do about your symptoms!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#319603 - 11/27/07 06:37 PM
grand sirenis

Reged: 03/13/07

Talk to a GI, mine thought that a colonoscopy wasn't necessary as I had no alarming symptoms that would suggest anything else.

He said that certain factors such as blood in the stool, excessive weight loss, and age (greater than 50) are signs of something else.

My mom was really worried about me and is a nurse in the hospital so she arranged for him to do it anyway as a favour...nothing was found..so I went through the prep for nothing which i must say was awful...i threw up from the solution, it was pretty bad..anyway just make sure you really need it, especially if you have had all the other tests (blood and ultrasound) those test rule out Celiacs, as well as your gallbladder and pancreas ... so that leaves Crohn's, Colitis and Colon Cancer which all usually have blood in the stool and other symptoms.

But if you worry that you may have something else then you should probably get it...for me it kinda depressing knowing that there was nothing else that could be done and that I was stuck with IBS for the rest of my life...as well my family became a whole lot less supportive when it turned out to be "nothing serious" and started saying that "I was perfectly fine" and should just try and start eating like I use to ..... so i guess its a trade off between reassurance and hoping that there is a cure

#319605 - 11/27/07 07:28 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I have had a colonoscopy. My prep was similar to the one of Wendy. I had my appointment on Thursday @ 2pm. I couldn't eat anything on Wednesday except for non-red jello and fruit juices. I started drinking the solution on Thursday at 6am and I actually ended up drinking (yuck) the entire thing to make sure I was all ready. Drinking up that nasty solution was probably the worst part. The colonoscopy wasn't bad at all. They gave me a mild sedative. I was aware of the entire thing but I didn't feel it. I remember everything the doctor was saying to me during the procedure.
I'm glad I got it done since I was always worried that it might be something other than IBS. This way I know for sure.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#319620 - 11/28/07 06:02 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I had a colonoscopy (I am over 50) when my symptoms became so severe (cramps, D, gas, pain, weight loss) that my GI and my internist thought it was prudent. The prep was irritating and uncomfortable because of the cramping and pain but the procedure was nothing. My prep was like the others that have responded but my GI suggested I sip either Ginger Ale or 7-up all day the day before. I chose Ginger Ale. The preparation I had to drink (like thick salt water) was pretty gross but if you use a funnel and put it in a water bottle you can gulp it better and it seemed to go down better for me. I had it at 8:00 in the morning and was home by 10:00--a little dizzy and hungry but home. I recovered quickly and worked the next day with no problem. The real benefit for me was that during the procedure my descending colon spasmed the entire time. I even have color pictures the doctor made. He told me that the colonoscopy allowed him to correctly diagnose my condition as "spastic colon" or "IBS". He also found and removed two polyps that could have led to colon cancer later on. I also had an abdominal ultrasound, blood work, stool specimen and an abdominal and pelvic CT just to make sure. All of it came back normal. I will say that I have had much greater peace of mind after all the tests. BTW -- these tests where all done last spring and early summer. I have been on Heather's diet since July and am stable for the first time in over a year. I even made it through Thanksgiving without incident. My family is so happy and relieved and I am too.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#319632 - 11/28/07 06:58 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I remember my then GI doc telling me to make sure that I don't throw up from the solution cause that defeats the purpose of the prep since it has to go all the way through the digestive system. That's why I didn't finish drinking it all because the next gulp would've made me hurl for sure.

Anyway, on the morning of the colonoscopy, I remember sitting there in the prep room where the nurse was taking down my information before giving me the IV and she said, "You're so young, what do you need a colonoscopy for?" to which I replied, "Obviously I got issues lady."

The reason mine was traumatic is because I woke up in the middle of it because I had to hurl and between the heaving of my stomach and feeling that camera thing in there, I was in cramp hell. In the recovery room I stayed for another 2.5 hours cause I was in and out and when I would come to, I'd have to hurl and finally they injected me with something that's given to chemo patients for nausea. Within 15 minutes I felt as if nothing ever happened. I wish they would sell that over the counter!

I must say that I was grateful to see that my GI doc wasn't smoking a cigarette after the procedure and that the security guards weren't laughing and pointing at my ass. I did tell the anesthetic nurses that I wanted all rights to the video.

The only thing that the colonoscopy revealed was a small insignificant internal hemmorhoid which at the time was probably a result of making myself go. It's still there because every now and then when I wipe, I see a little speckle of blood but the GI said that's ok because it's not lots and it's not in the stool. That was on a Thursday morning. After the colonoscopy, it was then and only then that IBS symptoms came about because up until then, I was eating anything. Maybe the colonoscopy shook things up a bit?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#319638 - 11/28/07 07:32 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

Chris, I have had stomach problems since the age of 9, I went through a series of test to try and find out what was wrong. I had doubled over in pain and couldn't move it hurt so much. I had an ultrasound, 2 barium swallows, x-rays, as well as blood test. I was diagnosed with an "ulcer", which I'm not sure I even had because I don't recall any medicine given to me just instructions to stay away from spicy foods. Anyways, it took 12 years before I was diagnosed with IBS. My symptoms changed from having to use the restroom after I ate, which was very painful, to being constipated. My doctor finally sent me to a GI, who decided that I needed a colonoscopy to see what was going on. I was 21 when I had my first colonoscopy which diagnosed me with IBS and scheduled me for an endoscopy to rule out anything else. I've also had an MRI. My GI found two polyps, removed and tested them. So now I have to have a colonoscopy every 5 years and an endoscopy every 2 years. I just went through both tests again in August. I have found that the prep is different for a person with IBS-C (I had C for my first colonoscopy), I have IBS-D now so the prep was easier in my opinion. With C you have to drink a bunch of "thick" solution. With D I was instructed to purchase miralax and mix it with a glass of water every half hour. With both C & D I was prescribed some pills to help with the prep. If you have C you probably have a lot to clear out of the colon, but with D I didn't have very much so I was empty half way through prep. The day before the tests I took two pills at 9:00 am and had jello any flavor as long as it was not red or purple, and chicken broth until 11:00. Then I was allowed only 7-up, ginger ale or water for the rest of the prep. I started taking the miralax at 11:00, I didn't start using the bathroom until my third dose at 12:00. Oh, and another tip I also drank propel water I think it's made by Gatorade, and it's clear like water. It has a bunch of vitamins and electrolytes in it. I started drinking it the night before because I knew I would lose a lot of electrolytes during the prep and I continued drinking it during the day of the prep. I didn't have any problems with being hungry, as you're insides are pretty unsettled during prep so you don't really get any hunger pains. The tests themselves aren't bad, you are given an IV and medicine to make you sleepy and pretty much unaware of what's going on. I hope this information helps you.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

exactly new
      #319659 - 11/28/07 10:54 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is depressing to just have IBS and not something that can be cured or fixed.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#319667 - 11/28/07 11:38 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I've had mine done a year ago. Worst part-not eating before. Mainly don't eat red food (so they won't think it's blood) and eat soft foods; then liquid only. I survived it by drinking hot apple juice mixed with water and my stomach was ok. I recommend.

I don't remember anything about the procedure. I just know that I was very nausious because I couldn't fart (excuse me). They pump a lot of air in you...

It's important to have it in case if there are any polyps that may turn cancerous if aren't removed. I heard on tv that most cancerous polyps turn cancerous only after sitting in your intestines for 10 years. Basically you would never get that cancer if you had check ups and removed polyps in time.

Don't worry, you will be ok.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review