All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: New probiotic " balanced biotic" new
      #319597 - 11/27/07 04:17 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A single dose of VSL#3 contains 450 billion cells composed of three strains of Bifidobacterium (B. longum, B. infantis and B. breve); four strains of Lactobacillus (L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. bulgaricus and L. plantarum); and one strain of Streptococcus (S. salivarius subspecies thermophilus). A clinical trial on 25 IBS-D suffers showed that it provided some relief for bloating. It had no effect on other individual symptoms such as abdominal pain, gas and urgency.

The single probiotic bacteria species - Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 - was given to 362 IBS-D and IBS-C primary care patients. It was found that at the level of 100 million cells there was significant relief from many of the symptoms including pain, discomfort and bowel habits. This particular bacteria has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects too. Align contains 1 billion of these cells.

It makes you wonder what the few hundred billion other cells in VSL#3 are actually doing

References
Whorwell, P. J., et. al 2006: Efficacy of an Encapsulated Probiotic Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 in Women with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 101, 1581-1590.

Kim, H. J., wt. al., 2005: A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic combination VSL# 3 and placebo in irritable bowel syndrome with bloating. Neurogastroenterology & Motility, 17, 687-696.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#319601 - 11/27/07 06:17 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

From what I understand, if there is a bacterial overgrowth, that is, of "bad bacteria", it is because the "good" bacteria (which usually holds the yeast in check)has been affected...wiped out, possibly from antibiotics, birth control pills, etc. This can permit excessive yeast and fungus growth. I guess that's where the IBS symptoms enter into the picture. So, wouldn't it also make sense, that along with taking probiotics to replace the missing "good" bacteria, that one would also want to kill off, or starve the yeast/fungi that has also formed as a result? Just thinking out loud..........

#319602 - 11/27/07 06:23 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

What makes sense to me is that using a probiotic to replenish the good bacteria can help cut down both the bad bacteria and yeast. It may not be an immediate effect but over time it will help.
So probiotics should help both states. If you don't have a noticeable overgrowth of bad bacteria or yeast, it doesn't necessarily mean that the good bacteria levels are high enough for normal gut function. So taking probiotics can help even if there is no overgrowth.

--------------------
Kat

#319608 - 11/27/07 10:10 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I have a question, if anyone can answer it. If you have a gut flora problem -- too much bad bacteria, not enough good -- can this be tested by a stool sample or colonoscopy? And if your symptoms are due to an imbalance in gut flora, then that wouldn't be IBS? Because then it wouldn't be a functional disorder, but an infection?

#319615 - 11/28/07 01:31 AM
Syl

Probiotics is a relatively new area of research. There are over 500 different types of bacteria in the bowel flora. The role of most of the individual types of bacteria are still unknown. Perhaps some day there may be a simple test.

An imbalance of gut flora is not considered to be an infection. Function GI disorders (FGID) include immune and inflammatory responses. For example looking at the a discussion of the Rome III diagnostic criteria for the assessment of FGID such as IBS see statements like "The symptoms of the FGIDs relate to combinations of several known physiological determinants: increased motor reactivity, enhanced visceral hypersensitivity, altered mucosal immune and inflammatory function (which includes changes in bacterial flora), and altered CNS-enteric nervous system (ENS) regulation (as influenced by psychosocial and sociocultural factors and exposures)." The role of gut bacteria in immunological and inflammatory process in FGID including IBS is well accepted. I guess that is part of the reason that IBS is called a syndrome

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

FOS new
      #319623 - 11/28/07 06:22 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

This product does contain FOS which can be very troublesome. Personally, I would avoid anything with FOS.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#319627 - 11/28/07 06:35 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

they both have dairy in them... is that ok?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#319628 - 11/28/07 06:39 AM
Syl

The amount of dairy is very small. In most case I doubt that it will be a problem. I would take them.

--------------------

Re:Thanks, Syl! -nt- new
      #319648 - 11/28/07 09:43 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10614

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review